Delaying the Progression of Type 1 Diabetes

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
OMG!!! I have heard that given time away from the allergen, sometimes the allergic reaction weakens. Do you think this is true?
I have heard that, but do t want to risk it, tbh. I had an allergen test done by my GP after two years vegan, and I’m still allergic to meat and milk; but ok with fish and eggs, so started to eat those again.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have heard that, but do t want to risk it, tbh. I had an allergen test done by my GP after two years vegan, and I’m still allergic to meat and milk; but ok with fish and eggs, so started to eat those again.
I'm wondering if it is all components of milk that upset you. Eg might 5% Greek yoghurt work (most of the whey is strained out) or alternatively might lactose free milk and cheese be OK? But I can quite see that experimenting could be scary. And also expensive if you bought items it turned out you couldn't eat.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm wondering if it is all components of milk that upset you. Eg might 5% Greek yoghurt work (most of the whey is strained out) or alternatively might lactose free milk and cheese be OK? But I can quite see that experimenting could be scary. And also expensive if you bought items it turned out you couldn't eat.
They don’t think it’s lactose, but some other component of cow’s milk - I can have sheep and goat dairy in small amounts. Luckily there are loads of alternatives these days!

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use pea protein, as most cheap ones are made with milk whey - it can get quite expensive!

I'm amused by the obsession with whey protein some people have (not you, the people promoting it as the best thing ever). It's a byproduct of the dairy industry once you've made all the nice things out of the milk - which also explains why it's cheap. I supposed I should be pleased that people are managing to make use of it :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don’t think it’s lactose, but some other component of cow’s milk - I can have sheep and goat dairy in small amounts. Luckily there are loads of alternatives these days!
I love the true Greek feta cheese made with sheep and goat milk. I also love the French goat cheese logs, but daren't buy them as I can't stop until I've devoured the whole thing.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm amused by the obsession with whey protein some people have (not you, the people promoting it as the best thing ever). It's a byproduct of the dairy industry once you've made all the nice things out of the milk - which also explains why it's cheap. I supposed I should be pleased that people are managing to make use of it :)
Many gym-goers are totally ignorant of nutrition. They think that protein is only to be had either in bars with the word "protein" on the packet or in tubs with the words "whey protein". This stuff should be taught in schools.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yeah, it’s a triumph of marketing, that’s for sure. I’ll make myself a shake with almond milk and salted caramel food flavouring if I’m really short on protein for the day. My twenty quid bag of pea protein has lasted several months, tbf - I bought it in the spring when I started keto.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! Just caught up with his thread after spotting it last night?

I'm a low carber. But the practically along with good old fashioned health & safety using the drug for a new T1, LC just won't work.

You're diagnosed as T1 due to a disfunctional pancreas & need insulin.
Then there are a few random fits & starts over an indiscernible period whilst prescribed exogenous insulin is on board.
Low carb don't come into this scenario whilst whe pancreas does a Peter Capaldi speech after a run of Doctor Who...
"Don't eat pears." He spouted in the last episode. If anything during the honeymoon period, carb consumption is going to increase due to the amount of lows.
Excersise?! Are you kidding me it was like carrying a week's groceries just to pop to the shop for a comic. Or cycle up the road to a mate's house..

If one is considering LC? Get over the honeymoon, learn what your meds do & understand your metabolism.
In short. Let your T1 pan out & settle into it first.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No the article is about extending the honeymoon period. Paleo Medicina in Hungary have also reported some quite good extensions of honeymoon utilising an ultra low carb diet too.
https://www.paleomedicina.com/en/#rolunk
Thank you for quoting Paleomedicina. I have been eating their diet for four weeks now. I want my vitiligo to go into remission. It's too late for me for it to help my T1D as you have to start the diet within six months of diagnosis. Their longest standing type one has now gone five years without having to inject insulin. They have a 100% success rate with treating autoimmune illnesses. The diet would be classed as very restrictive by most people but I've come from eating Carnivore so it's just a natural progression for me and I really love it. It's a carnivore diet with an emphasis on organ meats particularly brain and liver. It differs from Carnivore in that you have a 2:1 fat/protein ratio to keep you in nutritional ketosis.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/in-depth...-keto-diet-groundbreaking-diabetes-treatment/

https://www.paleomedicina.com/en

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got to say I'm struggling with the aforementioned 'law of small numbers' as it would suggest that it is a mathematical rule and it isn't :) and so to me is as misleading as Kevs law of seven and a half (units to grams for evening tea) as it can vary from day to day from all the many variables that can affect a T1.

I'm always very wary when seeing opinion portrayed as fact....

A bit like a T1D not injecting insulin for 5 years.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m still intrigued how a thread about T1 diabetes, honeymoon period and exercise has become so focused on diet.
The initial report in post #1 as far as I can see makes no reference to any specific diet.
It seems the thread was derailed very early on.

x Carol x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm always very wary when seeing opinion portrayed as fact....

A bit like a T1D not injecting insulin for 5 years.

In the case of paleomedicina they have the medical data to back it up. Some clinical reports have been translated into English and can be found on their website. There are some LADA diabetics I am in contact with on their Facebook group and they are now insulin free.

I think it's important for people to at least have the information regarding all these differing ways eg. Dr Bernstein and paleomedicia and then people can decide for themselves. For me only time will tell if it works for my autoimmune issues.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got to say I'm struggling with the aforementioned 'law of small numbers' as it would suggest that it is a mathematical rule and it isn't :) and so to me is as misleading as Kevs law of seven and a half (units to grams for evening tea) as it can vary from day to day from all the many variables that can affect a T1.
The Laws of Small Numbers - “Big inputs make big mistakes; small inputs make small mistakes.” (quote from "Diabetes Solution") I can't see anything wrong with that.

Reactions: x Carol x

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In the case of paleomedicina they have the medical data to back it up. Some clinical reports have been translated into English and can be found on their website. There are some LADA diabetics I am in contact with on their Facebook group and they are now insulin free.

I think it's important for people to at least have the information regarding all these differing ways eg. Dr Bernstein and paleomedicia and then people can decide for themselves. For me only time will tell if it works for my autoimmune issues.
I'm sorry but if someone hasn't used insulin for 5 years then they are not in any way shape or form a T1 diabetic, Type 1 cannot be put into remission, whatever these esteemed people say.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m still intrigued how a thread about T1 diabetes, honeymoon period and exercise has become so focused on diet.
The initial report in post #1 as far as I can see makes no reference to any specific diet.
It seems the thread was derailed very early on.
Fair comment. As it was I who posted the topic, I hope I am allowed to say that I do like these free-ranging discussions, which go after all rather like the best conversations in real life. As long as there is not a distressed OP failing to get the help s/he needs because all the potential helpers are off topic having fun, does it really matter?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Alexandra100 . As the OP I think you posted an interesting thread. Personally I feel that the thread as it stands now bears no relevance to your initial post. But hey , if you are getting positive feedback then that’s got to be good for you.:)

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Laws of Small Numbers - “Big inputs make big mistakes; small inputs make small mistakes.” (quote from "Diabetes Solution") I can't see anything wrong with that.

Are you a Type 1 diabetic? Just doing and seeing are different things if not done together ergo I've recently injected 6.5u for 110g carbs of which 90g would be from the brown basmati rice, I was at 4.6 on injecting, currently 6;4 with a slope up, the injection could and should have been 10 minutes sooner but I was cooking a pie for my little un, my blood will peak at around 7.9 before sloping back to mid 5's, allowing me to take a couple u for 2 Weetabix for my supper.

I can't see anything wrong with doing that either, nor does my Libre although I'll probably require 12g carbs in the shape of a two finger Kit Kat in an hour.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Alexandra100 . As the OP I think you posted an interesting thread. Personally I feel that the thread as it stands now bears no relevance to your initial post. But hey , if you are getting positive feedback then that’s got to be good for you.:)
When I see how many pages of discussion there have been, I feel rather proud, as if I were hosting a very successful party. Given that the research cited was rather preliminary, I'm not sure it could have supported very many on-topic comments. I have learned a lot from various posts, as well as enjoying the contact with a range of nice people.

Reactions: ziggy_w