Slowly going nuts...

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding nuts a tasty and nutritious part of my low carb diet, but I am moving away from the shelled variety as they are just too easy to overeat. I have bought some shell on nuts lately and take ages to eat them as they need to be cracked first and then, fairly often, the nut needs to be retrieved from wherever it has catapulted to.

I am looking for a source of shelled nuts in the UK for larger quantities than I can buy in the supermarket, of nits in shells, that is available mail order online and are good quality.

Has anyone got any recommendations for suppliers, or nuts?

I am particularly interested in walnuts. brazils, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds. I have found a farm website that sells cobnuts - what are these (they look a bit like hazelnuts to me)?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding nuts a tasty and nutritious part of my low carb diet, but I am moving away from the shelled variety as they are just too easy to overeat. I have bought some shell on nuts lately and take ages to eat them as they need to be cracked first and then, fairly often, the nut needs to be retrieved from wherever it has catapulted to.

I am looking for a source of shelled nuts in the UK for larger quantities than I can buy in the supermarket, of nits in shells, that is available mail order online and are good quality.

I am particularly interested in walnuts. brazils, pecans, hazelnuts and almonds. I have found a farm website that sells cobnuts - what are these (they look a bit like hazelnuts to me)?
Have you checked out your local area for walnut trees? They have a very short season but are about ready for harvesting now. Wet walnuts are yummy and probably lower carb as they haven't dried out?

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These guys sell all sorts in shells
https://www.kentishcobnuts.com/cobnuts
and yes cobnuts are related to hazelnuts very similar in taste and texture.
I have placed an order for some wet walnuts from this site and I get a free bag of cobnuts, so I will be posting again once I have received them and tested them properly.

Thanks for the link, and I welcome any more.

I noticed that there are people selling their wet walnuts on Ebay too, so that may be worth a look as I don't know where I could find any round here.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These guys sell all sorts in shells
https://www.kentishcobnuts.com/cobnuts
and yes cobnuts are related to hazelnuts very similar in taste and texture.

I'm glad to learn this because I once read an English story about a pony named Cobnut and all I could picture was a chestnut.

I like your idea about buying nuts in the shell, @AllieRainbow, because I tend to overeat the shelled almonds I buy. :) They're not easy to find here in the US, but with Christmas coming the stores should be stocking them soon.

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi,
After Halloween the supermarkets will be full of shelled peanuts that they couldn't shift, maybe a few bargains to be had.

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having tried the nuts in shells idea for a while, it has worked well to keep my nut consumption low enough. So a big success.