Support thread for those of us who dont lose weight

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found this thread. I'm sorry so many of us seem to be in the same boat but I'm glad I'm not alone.

In 3.5 months of LCHF, cutting out sugar, swimming, etc. I've only lost 13 pounds. Still a loss but hardly the "Weight is just falling off!" that some people talk about. It's all belly fat and I'm menopausal, and I know that doesn't help.

Reduced my A1C from 11.8% to 6.1% in that time? Who cares?
Reduced my blood glucose from 16.2 mmol to the 4-5 mmol range? Unimportant!
It's all about the weight loss! ;)
Wow! Well done on your HBA1c results! And well done on your weight loss too, 13 pounds is a good loss, but I agree it's annoying when the weight just seems to fall off others.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just found this thread. I'm sorry so many of us seem to be in the same boat but I'm glad I'm not alone.

In 3.5 months of LCHF, cutting out sugar, swimming, etc. I've only lost 13 pounds. Still a loss but hardly the "Weight is just falling off!" that some people talk about. It's all belly fat and I'm menopausal, and I know that doesn't help.

Reduced my A1C from 11.8% to 6.1% in that time? Who cares?
Reduced my blood glucose from 16.2 mmol to the 4-5 mmol range? Unimportant!
It's all about the weight loss! ;)

Well, those results are amazing, so I hope you are congratulating yourself!
And 13 pound weight loss in 3.5 months is still nearly a pound a week.
Not too shabby!
I gave you the 'Winner' tag, because I think you deserve it. :D

Reactions: Our_lady_

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, those results are amazing, so I hope you are congratulating yourself!
And 13 pound weight loss in 3.5 months is still nearly a pound a week.
Not too shabby!
I gave you the 'Winner' tag, because I think you deserve it. :D

Thank you. :happy:

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow! Well done on your HBA1c results! And well done on your weight loss too, 13 pounds is a good loss, but I agree it's annoying when the weight just seems to fall off others.

Thank you. And yep. I'm 5'3" and 180 pounds (started at 193) so it's not like I don't have a little amount to lose. With my blood results I'm obviously doing something right. I just wish it translated to faster weight loss!

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. And yep. I'm 5'3" and 180 pounds (started at 193) so it's not like I don't have a little amount to lose. With my blood results I'm obviously doing something right. I just wish it translated to faster weight loss!
You will get there. :) Just keep on keeping on...and keep us updated with your progress too :)

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
i guess i get to be on this thread too
as sad as it makes me

nothing i do makes weight budge
it just goes off then on again
even if i stay consistent
with all my current measures
to reduce the weight

i had decided before i try OMAD
(began sept9) that it was the last thing
i would try
so i lost 7 lbs and with no changes
in my routine 6 are back again
soon giving up the weight loss game
its a no win
no matter what i try

neithskye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i guess i get to be on this thread too
as sad as it makes me

nothing i do makes weight budge
it just goes off then on again
even if i stay consistent
with all my current measures
to reduce the weight

i had decided before i try OMAD
(began sept9) that it was the last thing
i would try
so i lost 7 lbs and with no changes
in my routine 6 are back again
soon giving up the weight loss game
its a no win
no matter what i try
Aw, welcome to the club. It seems like a lot of us are women. Everyone I've asked about my slow weight loss seems to say the same thing, that it's harder for women, especially middle-aged ones. It sucks.

Reactions: Diane_56 and cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
im not sure whats going on
i looked into the meds i use
and it seems the only one
i can find holding my weight on
is the insulins
i just went off 2 other meds
but it didnt make any difference
im thinking insulin might be a trap
for me

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aha! Thanks for this thread. I was thinking of starting one about failing to manage diet and weight but hesitated because I didn't want to be a moaner in a sea of positive threads... but if there are more of us in the same boat, sign me up!

I suffer with binge eating disorder, and in 2015 was diagnosed with T2. Initially had some success with diet and exercise but bellyflopped (ah, yes, literally) and gained, becoming more ill as I went along.

I'd also tried pretty much everything but I can't last more than a few hours on lchf, fasting or any other methods others find useful. With diet clubs I lost a stone or two then always regained it with more besides.

I was started on Trulicity last April, and I am genuinely surprised at the results, stable almost-normal sugars, other levels back in the normal range and a very slow but steady weight loss. The best I had been able to do before was maintain.

It does seem that the appetite reducing effects are wearing off now, though. I've returned to feeling false hunger and being unable to stop thinking about food, and clearing my plate then looking for more.

I feel as though I've been given a glimpse of life without my eating disorder, and it felt wonderful. I could leave food on my plate, feeling full and knowing I wouldn't be hungry again in an hour. No cravings, no obsessive thoughts about eating every waking minute.

I am going to do my utmost to use that experience to continue doing well, but already I feel bereft of the gift of feeling satisfied with an appropriate amount of food.

I feel as though this is a cliff edge, or a point of no return. As so many on this thread already know, no amount of positive thinking can help me, no little mind tracks like a small plate, drinking a glass of water, etc. will change what happens.

One thing, and one thing only, made me realise what it must be like to be able to say the things successful weight losers say, and that was this brief time my appetite changed to what could be called "normal".

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i binge too
for many years now.
i used to purge but got help
to stop that (purging)

i used to weigh 100 pounds less than i do now
and people
would say your fat or are u pregnant
i was living a highly active lifestyle(minimum 4 hours strenuous daily activity)
and dieting to lose weight
but could only maintain that weight

and since have tried everything under the sun
nothing works
and i used to hope and hope
but now i dont hope

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i binge too
for many years now.
to stop that (purging)

and people
i was living a highly active lifestyle(minimum 4 hours strenuous daily activity)

nothing works
but now i dont hope

ps--50 pounds of the 100 is since using insulin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aha! Thanks for this thread. I was thinking of starting one about failing to manage diet and weight but hesitated because I didn't want to be a moaner in a sea of positive threads... but if there are more of us in the same boat, sign me up!

I suffer with binge eating disorder, and in 2015 was diagnosed with T2. Initially had some success with diet and exercise but bellyflopped (ah, yes, literally) and gained, becoming more ill as I went along.

I'd also tried pretty much everything but I can't last more than a few hours on lchf, fasting or any other methods others find useful. With diet clubs I lost a stone or two then always regained it with more besides.

I was started on Trulicity last April, and I am genuinely surprised at the results, stable almost-normal sugars, other levels back in the normal range and a very slow but steady weight loss. The best I had been able to do before was maintain.

It does seem that the appetite reducing effects are wearing off now, though. I've returned to feeling false hunger and being unable to stop thinking about food, and clearing my plate then looking for more.

I feel as though I've been given a glimpse of life without my eating disorder, and it felt wonderful. I could leave food on my plate, feeling full and knowing I wouldn't be hungry again in an hour. No cravings, no obsessive thoughts about eating every waking minute.

I am going to do my utmost to use that experience to continue doing well, but already I feel bereft of the gift of feeling satisfied with an appropriate amount of food.

I feel as though this is a cliff edge, or a point of no return. As so many on this thread already know, no amount of positive thinking can help me, no little mind tracks like a small plate, drinking a glass of water, etc. will change what happens.

One thing, and one thing only, made me realise what it must be like to be able to say the things successful weight losers say, and that was this brief time my appetite changed to what could be called "normal".

Jpscloud - Do you currently take, or have you ever taken Metformin? Many people find it suppresses their appetite, although it doesn't have a big impact on blood glucose. It also seems it can be taken in conjunction with lots of other medications very safely.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jpscloud - Do you currently take, or have you ever taken Metformin? Many people find it suppresses their appetite, although it doesn't have a big impact on blood glucose. It also seems it can be taken in conjunction with lots of other medications very safely.
Yes, I have been taking metformin since 2015 - I didn't find it suppressed my appetite at all... gained weight, maintained and gained until going on trulicity this April. Following that, I've lost steadily. It's very slow and getting slower but I still notice a difference in appetite.

Trulicity is the only thing that has ever suppressed my appetite... you're talking to the woman who could overeat during a bad bout of the flu followed by pnuemonia a few years ago! I think I'm starting to sound like I have shares in that drug but it honestly has worked a miracle for me. I just hope it doesn't wear off completely.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i binge too
for many years now.
to stop that (purging)

and people

nothing works
but now i dont hope
I have had the pregnancy thing quite a bit, because most of my fat is around my middle. I've had people whisper behind my back rather tactlessly discussing whether to ask me if I'm pregnant or not and how embarrassing it would be for them if I was just fat! You have to smile, really.

I understand how you feel, I felt utterly helpless before the recent appetite change which is due to medication. The DN and weight management services are encouraging me to own it and take credit, but I know it's not me. If/when the appetite reducing effects of the medication wear off, I'll be a helpless victim of my own inability to manage my diet again.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
i have tried--
less food
more food
less exercise
more exercise
less fat
more fat
less carbs
more carbs
less protein
more protein
less meal frequency
more meal frequency
small meals
big meals
even less insulin

and i always think
o if i just do it better
if i just do it perfectly
then it will work

nothing works
always hungry
doesnt seem to be a plateau
its a forever one if it is

so ive had to accept that
im going to die someday
still FAT
so be it
i guess

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s so good to find this thread.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago. They thought I had t2, put me on metformin straight away (hba1c of 12+), then actos/amaryl but I never really got things under control until I switched to insulin when pregnant.

Since then they’ve (recently) decided that I have a type 1/type 2 hybrid. I low carbed for a couple of years, lost baby weight, stopped after becoming pregnant a couple of times again, then tried low carb again but it just didn’t work this time.

I tried the Newcastle diet, thinking I only had t2, not only did it not work - I hardly lost any weight & bg not improved - but my insulin resistance went through the roof and there it’s stayed.

I’ve done running and weight/bg has stayed the same. I’ve not exercised for months after getting a bad injury (no road running for a year I’ve been told). My bg is out of control.

I’ve tried to take forxiga that is supposed to help with losing weight, but it didn’t. Tried it for 9 months and now can’t handle the side effects so need to come off it.

I’m told that gastric surgery can help but I don’t really fancy that...