Support thread for those of us who dont lose weight

Diane_56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aw, welcome to the club. It seems like a lot of us are women. Everyone I've asked about my slow weight loss seems to say the same thing, that it's harder for women, especially middle-aged ones. It sucks.
I have lost two and half stone but it it's hard

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that, under the banner of 'Type 2' are many subdivision, as yet unresearched and discovered. I suspect there is more going on with me than Type 2 itself, or I have different type of type 2.

if that makes sense.

sweaty betty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@alison. It means that he thinks I was misdiagnosed as type 2 (I had no antibodies, but apparently some t1 don’t have them, depending on when they were tested etc) judging from my history and how it’s played out over the years - a number of drs have previously asked me “are you sure you’re not type 1” looking at my case - and now I’ve started to develop significant insulin resistance (clear from looking at the amount of insulin I need).

So “double diabetes” after all.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s so good to find this thread.

I was diagnosed 16 years ago. They thought I had t2, put me on metformin straight away (hba1c of 12+), then actos/amaryl but I never really got things under control until I switched to insulin when pregnant.

Since then they’ve (recently) decided that I have a type 1/type 2 hybrid. I low carbed for a couple of years, lost baby weight, stopped after becoming pregnant a couple of times again, then tried low carb again but it just didn’t work this time.

I tried the Newcastle diet, thinking I only had t2, not only did it not work - I hardly lost any weight & bg not improved - but my insulin resistance went through the roof and there it’s stayed.

I’ve done running and weight/bg has stayed the same. I’ve not exercised for months after getting a bad injury (no road running for a year I’ve been told). My bg is out of control.

I’ve tried to take forxiga that is supposed to help with losing weight, but it didn’t. Tried it for 9 months and now can’t handle the side effects so need to come off it.

I’m told that gastric surgery can help but I don’t really fancy that...
Gastric surgery is still on the table for me, as my weight loss is glacially slow, but hoping I will avoid it. Weight management services are pleased with me for now so we'll see.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting thread, like many I lost a huge amount of weight initially but it's plateaued since.
Got my BMI from 42 to 32, still obese but did the trick for my blood glucose.
Another person could hit T2 with a BMI of 27 & have very little wiggle room.

Binks85

Hi. It's nice to be in any room, even a virtual one, where people can understand where you are coming from. I am so sorry for the rant that's about to occur. I am fuming after my Dr's visit more than a week ago weighing in at 147kgs, BMI of 49 and it felt like a real bad dream when the GP said she couldn't help me.

I find it incredible that for someone that is ready to take charge of their health, that they won't even be offered the opportunity to do so. I've been trying to get on to mental health services and have been on waiting lists for over 16 months & in the meantime trying hard to counteract the weight gaining affects of two post pregnancy conditions, both of which cause reduced mobility.

I've stopped drinking and smoking since April this year. I have tried desperately to meet the NHS half way and not stumble into a GP's office a complete unhealthy mess. I know I am eligible for the intra gastric balloon procedure but I was just told 'let me stop you there, we don't do that procedure in Sheffield'. Explain to me then how you get help to the residents of Sheffield if a particular procedure can only be done in a different county?? Do you expect residents to move away?

I feel utterly helpless & the weight keeps piling on despite changes in diet. I left the GP's office without so much as an offer to do a blood test for the following 'current' symptoms;
nausea few times a day, stomach cramps and around the clock abdo spasms, lower abdo pain, breathing difficulties, headaches, swollen feet, dizzy spells, dry mouth, chronic fatigue. NOTHING.... they can do nothing for me.

As for not being able to lose weight and my weight gain. I am unfortunate enough to have the worst fat genes out of the whole family. My weight is not something I blame on bad genes but I can guarantee you that every one of my siblings and their daughters are plagued by our bad genes. And now with a daughter of my own I want to explore what I can do differently. Surely we've come a lot further from just your average thyroid and hormone test? Why won't they help me? I feel humiliated. I've never ever asked a Dr for help with my weight before but yet all my life I was subjected to their opinions about my weight?

You know what I feel now? I feel this is going to end in one of three ways; either I can do it myself at a great financial cost to my family, or I'll be sitting in that same GP's chair when my BMI is 60, or I'll be dead. I wish I had said this to her. So so mad and so so so sorry for the rant. Just glad it's off my mind for a little while.

Reactions: tinyroman

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Binks85
So sorry you have had such a dreadful experience, and no help from GP.
Can you ask forvanother opinion?

Binks85

@Binks85
So sorry you have had such a dreadful experience, and no help from GP.
Can you ask forvanother opinion?

Thanks Pip. Unfortunately the NHS is grid locked - I've been having the same 'shoulder shrug' treatment off other GP's in a different area we lived in back in January. I could go private but the insurance won't cover treatments for known conditions.

I feel awful for having to say this but I've not been tested for diabetes but I we have history in our family and because I feel it's only a matter of time, I'm here to educate myself & learn from other peoples experiences. I am, however, paying for private blood tests end of this month.

Glyko

I can't be disciplined and eat my alloted caloric intake, I always end up eating more. I am stressed and have low energy, and my emotions lead me to use food as comfort. I'm so tired of this. I wish I could just lose weight. I need it for my health.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Your post sounds like me.
I’m just about ready to do a bull in a china shop and trash the food cupboard.
I’ve done 3/4 years of low carb
Weighed everything washed chopped constantly read LCHF books. Spent a fortune on them as well. But heavier now than I have ever been.
Don’t trust low carb any more. My cholesterol has gone up.
Good luck.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your post sounds like me.
I’m just about ready to do a bull in a china shop and trash the food cupboard.
I’ve done 3/4 years of low carb
Weighed everything washed chopped constantly read LCHF books. Spent a fortune on them as well. But heavier now than I have ever been.
Don’t trust low carb any more. My cholesterol has gone up.
Good luck.
How low are your daily carbs and how often do you eat? I had 10 years of low carb with good blood glucose levels, but no weight loss.

I have switched to even lower carbs and eating twice a day only, sometimes once. My calorie intake hasn't changed but I am eating more protein and fats. I have lost 10kg in the past 2 months . I have a lot more to lose.

Cholesterol is not related to fat intake, by the way.

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very interesting thread, like many I lost a huge amount of weight initially but it's plateaued since.
Got my BMI from 42 to 32, still obese but did the trick for my blood glucose.
Another person could hit T2 with a BMI of 27 & have very little wiggle room.
I hit T2 with a BMI of just over 25 and had to drag it down to 21 to achieve remission, tho I believe the waist reduction from 41” to 31” was the real factor there.

M

Member34835

No fat right now but was fat in my 20s and 30s.
And no this isn't a diet suggestion. Its just reminded me that at the height of my angst at being fat, I had to go with the philosophy of putting great food into me then trusting my body to do the rest. To this day I cannot step on the scales and that has been a liberation! Numbers do lie as we are all built differently and there's a great range that is 'healthy'. So if you've got yourself out of diabetes/high bp etc. that's got to be a huge win.
I live with 2 fat people and can see that regardless of portions (calories in) they seem to easily store fat which then leads to being less active and a bit of a spiral...It is easy to be judgemental when you aren't fat and people do so love to judge.

• Agree
Reactions: zand and Outlier

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I hit T2 with a BMI of just over 25 and had to drag it down to 21 to achieve remission, tho I believe the waist reduction from 41” to 31” was the real factor there.
I am 42 BMI at the moment. A long way to go.... especially as fairly slow.