Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is eerily familiar. I can do IF without breakfast as I too developed the habit of not eating breakfast. Now I know why I find your posts so full of wisdom and wit. (What is this confirmation bias of which you speak?):angelic:
When you mentioned how long it took to resolve some of the consequences of the excursion into the modified Nil per Os gastrosphere, I agreed, it took me a similar time frame to settle my rattled Pancreas/Liver.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope all goes well with the fast. I did a series of these earlier in the year. Did nothing for hba1c but did take my weight below a BMI of 22. Adversely affected cholesterol (which some research suggests) and general well being. It has taken about 5 months to effect repairs. Hope you have good results as many others have - I hope I am an anomaly.
Hi @ianpspurs cholesterol does go up on a fast because you start using fats from your body as fuel. So when in Ketosis there is more cholesterol in the blood. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you mentioned how long it took to resolve some of the consequences of the excursion into the modified Nil per Os gastrosphere, I agreed, it took me a similar time frame to settle my rattled Pancreas/Liver.
Would you mind telling me how you view the carnivore diet please since we both seem to have fallen foul of extended fasting.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In terms of what went wrong it caused havoc with relationship - huge problems for the other party planning meals and feeling guilt about eating. Major issue around bowel movement. Very LC totally disrupts my sleep pattern anyhow. Bloods at 6 month review showed worst lipid profile for years - big trigs issue for me but well within normal range. Destroyed my relationship/approach to food. Became a kind of machismo ego trip really. Hba1c no better than I can achieve without and generally felt weaker.
I know others do really well on it and I lost weight - bmi 21.6 and waist to height ratio well below .5 - but felt pretty weak and in the end daily readings proved wildly out.
Looking at your picture @ianpspurs you probably struggled with extended fasts because you don't have a lot of fat to fuel your body. Also if you don't eat fatty food before a fast it makes you hungry.:)

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Would you mind telling me how you view the carnivore diet please since we both seem to have fallen foul of extended fasting.
I view the Carnivore diet favourably. I will expand on that a bit more.
As my thinking and knowledge of the aetiology of this condition has evolved, I have become more aware of the nuanced nature of the condition.
I am no longer chasing just 'normal' BG levels but going into the grundnorm of the condition itself, and seeking to deal with the root of the problem, which in this case is the Hyperinsulinemia, brought on by IR.
I have accepted that my liver is a glycogen geyser, and to lessen the pathology of this condition, which is mostly driven by high insulin, I have to keep an eye on my insulin levels.

I suspect I've been IR for probably since I was in my 20s, which would mean I have been IR for well over 30yrs.
Who knows what damage could and would have been done by such high levels of Insulin slushing about my innards, silently wreaking havoc unbeknownst to me.
To that effect, any food by itself or in a combination of other foods, which puts a damper on my insulin levels, is the way for me to go.
To that effect, Carnivore is very favourably viewed by moi.
Plus to keep my insulin levels low (by being deep in ketosis) my carb consumption is very low. Between 8-15grams a day, most days.
Some days I eat a carnivore type meal since the only carb in my meal is from the garlic, spring onions and chili pepper I season my steak with.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at your picture @ianpspurs you probably struggled with extended fasts because you don't have a lot of fat to fuel your body. Also if you don't eat fatty food before a fast it makes you hungry.:)
Thanks @Terrytiddy - I think I may still have too much fat but there you go. I did try to add fat by putting cream in tea but I really couldn't live with that. Hopefully fasting suits you better.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I view the Carnivore diet favourably. I will expand on that a bit more.
As my thinking and knowledge of the aetiology of this condition has evolved, I have become more aware of the nuanced nature of the condition.
I am no longer chasing just 'normal' BG levels but going into the grundnorm of the condition itself, and seeking to deal with the root of the problem, which in this case is the Hyperinsulinemia, brought on by IR.
I have accepted that my liver is a glycogen geyser, and to lessen the pathology of this condition, which is mostly driven by high insulin, I have to keep an eye on my insulin levels.

I suspect I've been IR for probably since I was in my 20s, which would mean I have been IR for well over 30yrs.
Who knows what damage could and would have been done by such high levels of Insulin slushing about my innards, silently wreaking havoc unbeknownst to me.
To that effect, any food by itself or in a combination of other foods, which puts a damper on my insulin levels, is the way for me to go.
To that effect, Carnivore is very favourably viewed by moi.
Plus to keep my insulin levels low (by being deep in ketosis) my carb consumption is very low. Between 8-15grams a day, most days.
Some days I eat a carnivore type meal since the only carb in my meal is from the garlic, spring onions and chili pepper I season my steak with.
Thanks for such a full answer. Plenty for me to mull over there.