Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

eddie07

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all goes well with the fast. I did a series of these earlier in the year. Did nothing for hba1c but did take my weight below a BMI of 22. Adversely affected cholesterol (which some research suggests) and general well being. It has taken about 5 months to effect repairs. Hope you have good results as many others have - I hope I am an anomaly.
Sorry to hear longer fasting affected you adversely.
Also your HBA1C did not come down.
It was my 1st time to fast longer than 24hrs and it was hard!
Reduced my blood glucose levels and weight nicely.
I want to lose the fat around my waist hence the reason for the next fast starting Monday.
Are you able to expand on what went wrong?
Thanks

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to lose the fat around my waist hence the reason for the next fast starting Monday.
Thanks
In terms of what went wrong it caused havoc with relationship - huge problems for the other party planning meals and feeling guilt about eating. Major issue around bowel movement. Very LC totally disrupts my sleep pattern anyhow. Bloods at 6 month review showed worst lipid profile for years - big trigs issue for me but well within normal range. Destroyed my relationship/approach to food. Became a kind of machismo ego trip really. Hba1c no better than I can achieve without and generally felt weaker.
I know others do really well on it and I lost weight - bmi 21.6 and waist to height ratio well below .5 - but felt pretty weak and in the end daily readings proved wildly out.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hope all goes well with the fast. I did a series of these earlier in the year. Did nothing for hba1c but did take my weight below a BMI of 22. Adversely affected cholesterol (which some research suggests) and general well being. It has taken about 5 months to effect repairs. Hope you have good results as many others have - I hope I am an anomaly.
Haha you are not an anomaly, I did a 5day fast once. It wreaked such havoc on my BGLs, that took about the same several months to resolve. Strange thing is, I appear to do very well with intermittent fasting (I have not eaten breakfast for the last 40yrs. A ploy I started, so I can get extra sleep in the mornings. I began missing breakfast when I was a teenager, and I never stopped)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha you are not an anomaly, I did a 5day fast once. It wreaked such havoc on my BGLs, that took about the same several months to resolve. Strange thing is, I appear to do very well with intermittent fasting (I have not eaten breakfast for the last 40yrs. A ploy I started, so I can get extra sleep in the mornings. I began missing breakfast when I was a teenager, and I never stopped)
That is eerily familiar. I can do IF without breakfast as I too developed the habit of not eating breakfast. Now I know why I find your posts so full of wisdom and wit. (What is this confirmation bias of which you speak?):angelic:

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks
For some people like me, It induces the production of Catecholamines, (A band of deplorable stress hormones) which induces my 'scaredy-cat' liver to flood me with so much glycogen, you would think my blood was Tate and Lyle syrup. Being as I was fasting at the time, it meant there was no insulin on board to take it up. I tried exercise to see if skeletal muscle would come to the rescue..no joy.
I was getting levels like 8.5mmol/l. (Scared me witless - Imagine getting complications from high BG levels brought on by fasting and exercise).

Reactions: eddie07

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
For some people like me, It induces the production of Catecholamines, (A band of deplorable stress hormones) which induces my 'scaredy-cat' liver to flood me with so much glycogen, you would think my blood was Tate and Lyle syrup. Being as I was fasting at the time, it meant there was no insulin on board to take it up. I tried exercise to see if skeletal muscle would come to the rescue..no joy.
I was getting levels like 8.5mmol/l. (Scared me witless - Imagine getting complications from high BG levels brought on by fasting and exercise).
I didn't get those "measured" levels but judging from the massive discrepancy between my numbers and hba1c that was probably what was going on at the points I didn't measure. It makes some kind of sense now. Thankee kindly ma'am