What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good afternoon all. 6.2 first thing. 4.8 after workout.
Catching up on some paperwork in the office this afternoon.
Well done @Terrytiddy and @Chronicle_Cat on the weight loss and ongoing effort. Thumbs up to @Freema too.
Hope everyone is well. You BG is worthy of sliding across the grass on your knees { @Fenn } have a great afternoon.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What if I told you I've never had a single cup of coffee in my life? :wideyed: I hate the stuff.
You are forgiven for having such a gorgeous username.
Re halloween - cute picture but not pleased with seeing my granddaughter caught up in this

Attachments

• IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Bella.JPG
    Bella.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 144

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my. NOTHING tastes as good as coffee with cream except coffee with cream and brandy. Forgiven though - just don't keep making the same mistake:angelic: (Halloween sits very badly with my Baptist Sunday School start in life but then so does brandy in coffee. Fortunately, I am now a confirmed Anglican. The brandy is fine for Anglicans, Halloween not so much. Just shows what a devious, twisted old fella I am:arghh:)

Or just brandy by itself. Like coffee. ;) Hallowe'en sits pretty badly with my confirmed-Episcopalian mindset* but nowadays it's a good reason to wear my Auburn tiger ears in football season and tiger-striped socks and blue capris with my orange shirt instead of black. The shirt is the only actual Hallowe'en-themed thing, it's from a Hallowe'en hunter pace I went to ages ago.

*One thing I liked about the Episcopal Church was that they don't have mindSETS. Just minds. Now gone a bit beyond for me.

upload_2018-10-31_10-33-20.png

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Or just brandy by itself. Like coffee. ;) Hallowe'en sits pretty badly with my confirmed-Episcopalian mindset* but nowadays it's a good reason to wear my Auburn tiger ears in football season and tiger-striped socks and blue capris with my orange shirt instead of black. The shirt is the only actual Hallowe'en-themed thing, it's from a Hallowe'en hunter pace I went to ages ago.

*One thing I liked about the Episcopal Church was that they don't have mindSETS. Just minds. Now gone a bit beyond for me.

View attachment 29259
I'll listen out for "out of Auburn" when watching NFL from now on. Any of their alumni made it to the big time?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 today, happy bunny.

UPDATE ON PR

Yesterday i chased DCUK/PR team (again.....im such a pest) and they have assured me they WILL be doing the inspirational stories booklet (adding it to their social media sites) but it’s not on the priority list as they are only a small team and have lots of projects on, at the moment they are focusing on Diabetes Awareness Month. They have promised it is on the to-do list but can’t give me a date for when it will be done. And they have no plans to design the low carb recipe booklet, as this wasn’t on their radar appatently! Such a shame as this is a brilliant resource and not just for newbies. I've asked @Rachox if there is a way we can link it to the forum or find a way of getting a copy to those that would like one so at the moment it's a work in progress. Myself, im offering it to my friends and family who are interested in low carbing and if I was charging I would be making a small fortune! I still think there is a market out there to get this kind of recipe booklet published. I have yet to see a diabetic cookery book by a diabetic that involves low carb info. @shelley262 did an amazing job. I'm also winging a copy around all the HCP's at my 2 surgeries together with the inspirational stories booklet, 100 stone lost and kicked diabetes' butt, blood glucose monitoring leaflet, 1936 diabetic guidelines and Dr Unwins paper. I have had it confirmed that once all have had a chance to read the material 8 Drs, 2 paramedic practitioners, 4 nurses plus locum etc it is going to be discussed at a clinical meeting. I thought i had been invited but i misunderstood. I'm banned (I'm joking but I can see it happening!). But it's all good. Slowly moving forward. I can see DCUK are really busy so I'm going to take it up in myself to write to gmtv to see if they are interested in our plight! You just never know your luck.

Re the photos from Birmingham, some of these have been used for individual case studies in recent press as many of us are aware. They are working well to spread the word. However as some of the group didn’t want to be used publicly and wanted to be anonymous the group shots can't be used for press purposes.

They did say that if the individuals would like their photos that were taken on the day they can be sent to them individually.

So that's today's update folks. Apparently the London photo shoot will be out tomorrow in local shops. I wasn't interviewed on the day of the shoot so they must be going off what the PR team.have said. I just hope it gets everything across. I'm with 2 other ladies. We have all lost weight in various ways. I did it to fight type 2 diabetes (and won), and the other 2 ladies to feel better after putting on a lot of weight. One with Rosemary Conley and the other with drinks (similar to the Newcastle diet).

And that's today's update folks.

Have a good evening. I will be up and down all night like a brides nightie answering the door to a constant stream of excited children. I have a bucket of sweets at the ready. It's wrong on every level, 1) sweets are full of sugar which is the devil's work! And 2) I used to work on dental emergencies!!! I really should be handing out cheese, salami and olives but I think the treat option would quickly turn to trick if i did!!!

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll listen out for "out of Auburn" when watching NFL from now on. Any of their alumni made it to the big time?

Cam Newton and Bo Jackson are two I remember. Cam plays for the Carolina Panthers. Bo played for LA and also played baseball. The two big name players way back when I was at Auburn, Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley, went on to play for Atlanta and San Francisco. There are some currently playing on NFL teams now I think but I don't follow pro football. (I don't watch much college football either, it's the 2nd most boring variety of football on earth. :D I just like Auburn to win, and I will watch when they play Georgia next month, oldest college football rivalry in the South).

Reactions: ianpspurs

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
P.S. to @ianpspurs I just found out that Montravius Adams plays for Green Bay! The Packers were my favorite team when I was little.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
P.S. to @ianpspurs I just found out that Montravius Adams plays for Green Bay! The Packers were my favorite team when I was little.
He is a big lad according to his stats - 304 lbs. I would hazard a wild guess he is not LC. Apparently several of the Eagles players are vegan according to UK press.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez BTW there is a British cookbook out on November 1 (paperback & Kindle) on Amazon called

"The Low-Carb Diabetes Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes to help control type 1 and reverse type 2 diabetes
by David Cavan (Author), Emma Porter (Author)". I believe Dr. Cavan ".

Here the blurb (it sounds good except for the use of the word "sufferer".

"You can reverse pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes when you change how you eat

International diabetes expert David Cavan has teamed up with food writer and diabetes sufferer Emma Porter to create 100 low-carb, healthy-fat recipes to help stabilise your blood glucose levels for good.

From simple breakfasts and tasty snacks to indulgent dinners and healthy desserts the authors will help you take control of your health and cook meals the whole family will enjoy. The recipes also help manage type 1 diabetes more effectively.

Recipes include:

Baked eggs in avocado with roasted fennel and tomatoes
One-pan blueberry pancake
Roasted aubergine and garlic salad with olive oil, basil and tomato
Mexican-style fajitas
Nutty mushroom risotto with bacon
Slow-roasted salt and pepper pulled pork
Orange and almond cake
Cherry, chocolate and coconut cream ice lollies."

It sounds good but I'd like there to be more recipes than 100.

Also although not specifically diabetic, keto cookbook author Carolyn Ketchum is also diabetic, she mentions it in her books (gestational originally became Type 2 after the birth of her last child) and that's why she started cooking low carb/keto. However she doesn't go into the benefits of low carb eating specifically for diabetics.

The diabetes cookbooks published by both the Canadian and American diabetes societies are full of carbs, written following their current "guidelines". I know Dr Fung had a thing on twitter a couple of months ago where he talked about borrowing some from his local public library and how bad they were.

I

Last edited:

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Hallowe'en become a bigger thing in the UK the last 2 decades?

My younger cousin married a English fellow and they live in London, England (we have a smaller city also called London). About 20 years ago, they came here for a visit in late October with their then 2 children. Her children were really excited about the idea of a Canadian Hallowe'en and trick or treating (even though costumes here have to be big enough to go over a warm coat.) I remember hearing that trick or treating wasn't done there then. (We used to call it "shelling out" when I was a kid but the Canadian term has fallen in disuse and no one under 55 knows what that means anymore).

My then little niece was really excited to meet them because "they talk just like the kids in Harry Potter!".

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 (and others) following on from #defaultgate and my centrist dad standpoint this caught my eye and obviously fell into my confirmation bias elephant trap.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46031332
According to the calculator the average BMI for men in my age group is 28,8 and my waist size is lovable. However, when I input height and weight in cms and kgs my BMI is a whole 1 lower 21,1 v 22.1

The calculator wouldn’t work when I tried. I love that your waist size is lovable!

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The calculator wouldn’t work when I tried. I love that your waist size is lovable!
Did you use fractions? My height in ft and ins needs fractions which stopped it working I changed to cms (187 from records although we make me slightly taller) and kgs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you use fractions? My height in ft and ins needs fractions which stopped it working I changed to cms (187 from records although we make me slightly taller) and kgs

I used all metric but the button was just stuck

I’ll try again later - perhaps it was just overloaded with people from the forum all trying at the same time after reading your post.