HBA1C risen sharply over a year

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had skimmed milk all my life and cannot stand taste of creamier stuff now. If I’m out and no choice I’ll have soy or semi but still too creamy.

As long as you only use it in tea or coffee in modest quantities skimmed milk is fine. I am like you. I have used skimmed milk in my tea for half my life and hate anything creamy in it - even semi skimmed. The difference in the number of carbs is negligible if you use it sparingly.

Reactions: lessci

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound as though you have had a lot of stress this year and that will have an impact on your levels but more importantly so will your food. If you follow standard NHS advice to eat 'healthily' then for most of us that will be a disaster. I no longer eat any fruit except small amounts of berries, no root vegetables, no cereal, bread, pasta or rice. If I ate what you describe, my levels would shoot up.

You do need to test if you want to improve your health. Skipping meals is not a bad thing! It is is pure convention that we need to eat 3 times a day with snacks in between. I regularly skip dinner now and feel absolutely great on low carb and eating when I am hungry. So take a deep breathe, give yourself time to absorb all of the help you can get on this forum and then stop eating the food that raises your blood glucose. For most of us that has a pretty rapid effect.

Reactions: LizH1962

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You sound as though you have had a lot of stress this year and that will have an impact on your levels but more importantly so will your food. If you follow standard NHS advice to eat 'healthily' then for most of us that will be a disaster. I no longer eat any fruit except small amounts of berries, no root vegetables, no cereal, bread, pasta or rice. If I ate what you describe, my levels would shoot up.

You do need to test if you want to improve your health. Skipping meals is not a bad thing! It is is pure convention that we need to eat 3 times a day with snacks in between. I regularly skip dinner now and feel absolutely great on low carb and eating when I am hungry. So take a deep breathe, give yourself time to absorb all of the help you can get on this forum and then stop eating the food that raises your blood glucose. For most of us that has a pretty rapid effect.

Thank you! I actually had Avocado and smoked salmon for breakfast today - should have seen my husband’s face! Lunch is about to be scrambled eggs with bacon. It will take time, but I’m determined to do it! I’m gazing longingly at my fruit bowl, which has been a huge part of the problem I now realise. I was always snacking on fruit :(. Berries it will be now!

Reactions: Prem51 and Tone E

Tone E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I don't usually comment on things here, but I do read some of the threads sometimes and I learn from them very often. When I discovered this site it was like one of those scenes where a shaft of golden light splits a darkened sky. In particular, the 'basic information' post from daisy1 is difficult to place a value on when you have been given no information from the medics, apart from what appears to amount to a sentence of a protracted death. It's lovely to see you all at it here, providing guidance and comfort to people. You've helped me massivley. Thank you all! LizH1962, you really have come to the right place.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you! I actually had Avocado and smoked salmon for breakfast today - should have seen my husband’s face! Lunch is about to be scrambled eggs with bacon. It will take time, but I’m determined to do it! I’m gazing longingly at my fruit bowl, which has been a huge part of the problem I now realise. I was always snacking on fruit :(. Berries it will be now!
Well done! You will probably be surprised how quickly your blood glucose number goes down. I was addicted to fruit so I know how you feel. Just look on it as sugar! Eggs are brilliant. Be prepared to drink plenty as you adjust your diet and keep your salt levels up initially as you lose water. Dietdoctor.com. is a great website for food ideas and showing you which vegetables and foods are good to eat. Hopefully after a few days you will feel very energetic. I found myself spring cleaning the kitchen in the evening rather than falling asleep on the sofa!

LizH1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mike D @JoKalsbeek @xfieldok @Bluetit1802 @Rachox @Antje77 @HICHAM_T2 Hi all, thought I’d update you...

Had my abdominal scan on Saturday. Lovely radiographer was a bit puzzled as to why I’d been referred and said he’d send report, but there was nothing visibly wrong. Saw my GP today. He confirmed ‘no gross abnormalties’ and my blood tests were good. I told him I’d taken heaps of advice from all of you, switched my diet around, bought a meter etc and was ‘eating to the meter’ and my blood glucose has dropped markedly. He took a look at the results in the app on my phone and I’m sitting between 35 and 39 . I can’t thank all of you enough for your advice and helping me sort all this out! Seeing the diabetic nurse for a review on the 28th, but I feel much more relaxed about it all!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations! Well done you. Keep up the good work.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mike D @JoKalsbeek @xfieldok @Bluetit1802 @Rachox @Antje77 @HICHAM_T2 Hi all, thought I’d update you...

Had my abdominal scan on Saturday. Lovely radiographer was a bit puzzled as to why I’d been referred and said he’d send report, but there was nothing visibly wrong. Saw my GP today. He confirmed ‘no gross abnormalties’ and my blood tests were good. I told him I’d taken heaps of advice from all of you, switched my diet around, bought a meter etc and was ‘eating to the meter’ and my blood glucose has dropped markedly. He took a look at the results in the app on my phone and I’m sitting between 35 and 39 . I can’t thank all of you enough for your advice and helping me sort all this out! Seeing the diabetic nurse for a review on the 28th, but I feel much more relaxed about it all!
You have moved mountains! Well done, and congratulations!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What a relief to hear your scan is clear! And well done on the reductions in levels you are already seeing.
Good that your GP didn’t get on the ‘no need to test’ wagon when you showed him your app. My GP originally said no need to test but then at a later date looked very interestedly at my data! I hope your nurse is impressed too.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t know skinnier milkwas bad for type2.

I’ve had skimmed milk all my life and cannot stand taste of creamier stuff now. If I’m out and no choice I’ll have soy or semi but still too creamy.

I also have lacto free milk at home as I haveIBS (although this has improved since diagnosis and reduction in carbs).

So is lactofree skimmed better because the lactose is gone?
Lactose free milk works for me and there are less carbs in it. I have tried it as my daughter in law is lactose intolerant and she loves home made trifle. You can make a good one with sugar free jelly with some berries added instead of the sponge fingers. Then make a custard either with eggs or just use custard powder but beware of the carbs in that. Whip some lactose free cream and put on top. Decorate with some frozen or fresh berries. This will be my Christmas pudding this year and will be quids in with my daughter in law too!