can type 1 diabetes be controlled with diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi

You don't believe all the people who post on the reactive hypoglycemia form.

It is your theory that is not right according to those who post on the RH forum.
Starch in any form is bad!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I live on only protein and a little vegetables I know of people with reactive hypoglycemia who must keep their blood sugar low or they have an insulin reaction and we have problems. So it is possible (maybe not social) to eat such that you never need insulin for making sugar to become fat. I have seen people who just don't believe anyone can eat like I or other people with reactive hypoglycemia do to prevent low blood sugar. I know of support groups which just teach what to do when you have low blood sugar so only a small group of people have the (will?) to eat this way. My type of reactive hypoglycemia is not helped by the support groups since we do not get very low sugar unless we eat a lot of sugar/starch/alcohol we get debilitating fatigue instead. I figured out I can live on only protein (has some fat inevitably) and low carb vegetables, so I do. I can eat a lot if I keep my fats low. My treats are baby carrots and pure (baking 100%) chocolate. I do this so my brain is very clear and the (genius?) part of my makeup can thrive. My genius is my subconscious. I come up with wild ideas which often fizzle in the light of day but when they don't it is amazing. .

Hi,
Sorry, I have to ask this.. Do you have access to a BG meter & What are your BGs when you have these "subcontious genius & wild ideas?"

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
surely the OP is not type 1 diabetic, what a load of nonsence
Hi

I have a form of reactive hypoglycemia. I have a web site which is advertised on google in the U.S. and India. A lot of doctors in India have given me a thumbs up. I have over an average of 700 hits a day from India. A few doctors in the U.S. have given me a thumbs up. I have an average of about 30 hits a day from the U.S..

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
surely the OP is not type 1 diabetic, what a load of nonsence
Hi
1 of the (women?) who works for this site tried to control her type 1 diabetes with diet for years. She ran into trouble because she wasn't processing excess protein with insulin. She is now on a lot of insulin. So could she have controlled the byproducts of protein being changed into urea by insulin by cutting her protein intake and/or could she have detected that (ammonia?) was building up and occasionally take insulin and/or some other treatment? I do not know.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi

I have a form of reactive hypoglycemia. I have a web site which is advertised on google in the U.S. and India. A lot of doctors in India have given me a thumbs up. I have over an average of 700 hits a day from India. A few doctors in the U.S. have given me a thumbs up. I have an average of about 30 hits a day from the U.S..

Having a hit on a site does not imply that the hitter agrees with you. It is obvious now that you know nothing about Diabetes. I am concerned about you but at the same time I hope you are not giving advice re diet or medications for Diabetes anywhere on the net.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

well now you have bragged enough of that web site , this forum is not such a place where you can do promoting of you wild ideas , stop repeating you bragging of your web site .

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hi
1 of the (women?) who works for this site tried to control her type 1 diabetes with diet for years. She ran into trouble because she wasn't processing excess protein with insulin. She is now on a lot of insulin. So could she have controlled the byproducts of protein being changed into urea by insulin by cutting her protein intake and/or could she have detected that (ammonia?) was building up and occasionally take insulin and/or some other treatment? I do not know.

You must have misunderstood.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I know of a (woman?) who helps run this forum who lived for years with type 1 diabetes using diet until (ammonia?) from protein caught up with her. My question comes down to can you take care of protein either by eating so little protein that the body doesn't need to process the protein into urea and/or can you test as you diet and see if you need to do something (take an insulin injection very occasionally or something else).
Yetta - Please send me a PM containing the name of the T1 person helping to run this site who has been managing their T1 diabetes with diet alone.

I know of no such person, but I do know quite a lot of people involved with the running of this site.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does the body use insulin for except to have cells change sugar into fat or process insulin. I am unaware of anything else. If you know of something tell me

In the brain, insulin is involved in signalling through the Akt pathway, which is involved in mitochondrial motility, cell death/survival signalling, including the initiation of apoptosis, memory formation, cell growth, cognition, lipid metabolism, protein phosphorylation...I could go on but I won't

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1074742711001493

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22476197

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15734146
http://www.jbc.org/content/290/50/30030.full

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature02549

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Maybe, but you are not Type 1.
Hi

You are right. That is why I have asked my question. I know of 1 women who works for this site who tried to control her type 1 diabetes with diet for years, she ran into trouble because she didn't use insulin to process excess protein (ammonia?).. Could she have prevented this problem by carefully controlling the amount of protein in her diet and/or could she have detected the problem and/or occasionally taken insulin or some other treatment. I don't know.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee @DCUKMod I know it's been said before that we don't censor here, but I can't help but feel that this thread should be locked or even deleted - were a newly diagnosed T1 or parent of a T1 to stumble across it, they may get the impression that T1 can be managed by diet alone, which could be dangerous and even fatal. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but when people are desperate things don't need to make sense, if confronted with the idea of having to watch your child live with this condition with injections.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Yetta - Please send me a PM containing the name of the T1 person helping to run this site who has been managing their T1 diabetes with diet alone.

I know of no such person, but I do know quite a lot of people involved with the running of this site.
Hi

Give me a list of the women and I probably can remember her name for this site.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Actually my fasting blood sugar rose as I stayed on this diet. The liver changes fat into sugar. I assume I also start using fat directly but I have never checked.
Neil

Fasting glucose rise because the liver has become insulin resistant and can't stop the glycogen from flow out.

Get a ketones meter and you may discover the source of your genius moments...

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Maybe, but you are not Type 1.
I have a form of reactive hypoglycemia. I know you can control your blood sugar with diet but I do not know if you can handle the excess protein by cutting your protein input and/or detect the problem (ammonia?) and occasionally use insulin and/or some other method to control the problem.

yetta2mymom

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
?
Fasting glucose rise because the liver has become insulin resistant and can't stop the glycogen from flow out.

Get a ketones meter and you may discover the source of your genius moments...
Hi

I am very healthy for over 12 years on my diet. So....

Status
Not open for further replies.