So confused

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there.

So I have recently been diagnosed with t2d, I am not taking it very well, I have been crying constantly. I just can’t seem to believe it.
I have no idea what I’m supposed to do, it’s all just too much info to take in, like what am I supposed to avoid, what can I actually eat, I’m really struggling with this, can anyone help?

Reactions: Wayne18000

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. Tagging @daisy1 for the welcome pack. Dry your eyes, put your feet up with a cuppa and read it when she posts it.

Don't panic. I don't want to overwhelm you with information. Others will be along with advice.

Drop potatoes, bread, rice, pasta
No cereals for breakfast. No biscuits, cake, sweets etc.

You need to know your HbA1c number. If you don't know it, find out from the surgery.

Read around the forum and ask lots of questions.

You have found the best place for help and support.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info

What am I supposed to have for breakfast as I read you can have bran flakes or weetabix?
Can I have brown pasta or rice?

I’m sorry I just have no idea what I supposed to do and I’m struggling.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No rice, pasta or bread of any colour.

No bran flakes or Weetabix.

Breakfast: high meat sausages, eggs, mushrooms, bacon?

Read up on LCHF, low carb high/healthy fat, diet. It is how most of us control our blood glucose.

If you decide to go that way we can give you further advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As Daisy's post will indicate you need to keep all the carbs down but the good news is that proteins and fats are fine as well as veg and non-tropical fruit. Nothing is banned but pasta, rice and breakfast cereals need to be kept small. Best for breakfast will be eggs and bacon or similar.

Reactions: Lainlainylain

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome. Now you can breathe! You have found a source of knowledge and support right here among people who very well remember what it was like to get the diagnosis and the fears and feelings that come with it. We will give you all the support you need, you are not alone in this and there is hope and if you look at the 'Testimonials' section of the forum you will read countless stories of people who have turned round their Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes reaching remission status.

Chin up, there's loads of things you can do.

Reactions: paulmh

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need to lose weight, LCHF will do the trick. We use it to control our blood sugar. Weight loss is a by-product.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

Welcome to the forum. Don't panic, just have a read around and ask questions that might come up. There are many friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people, who will be only too happy to help.

Can you tell us more about yourself? What were your blood sugar levels on diagnosis? Have you been prescribed any medication?

As to your question, for breakfast anything involving eggs (such as scrambled eggs) is usually a good option. You can have avocado, mushrooms, bacon, for example to go with the eggs. Coffee with cream also works.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there.

So I have recently been diagnosed with t2d, I am not taking it very well, I have been crying constantly. I just can’t seem to believe it.
I have no idea what I’m supposed to do, it’s all just too much info to take in, like what am I supposed to avoid, what can I actually eat, I’m really struggling with this, can anyone help?
It's mindblowing, I know... I was so scared and confused when first diagnosed, and so lost. There's so much to take in, and so much advice is conflicting. First off: it will be okay. It doesn't feel like it right now, but you will be. That i can give you right off: a bit of hope that this is something you can and will get a grip on.

So here's a LOT of information that you don't have to remember all in one go. Just come back to it later, or take notes or whatever. It's a lot to learn, and I'll try to keep it simple, but it's still a lot. If you feel like it, get the books by Dr. Jason Fung: he's really good in explaining stuff and making you feel better and more in control.

As a T2, you're insulin resistant. That means you can't process glucose out of your body efficiently, and practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose when ingested. Including starches for instance, not just straight sugars. So you want to cut carbs. They're in cereal (sorry, that includes weetabix, muesli, porridge), potatoes, rice, corn, pasta, bread... Brown or white doesn't really matter, alas. Fruit also contains a lot of sugars, though avocado, tomatoes and berries are okay. So what does that leave you with? Meat (bacon is your new best friend), fish, eggs, above ground veggies/leafy greens, nuts, butter, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, olives, extra dark chocolate, that sort of thing... So in practice, meals could look like this:
3 eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms and/or sausages (high meat content). Salad with a can of tuna, capers, olives and avocado. Or goat's cheese with salad and a nice vinaigrette. Meat or fish with loads of veggies, with bacon if you like, and cheese. (Cauliflower rice is insanely versatile). Snacks could be pork scratchings, (I like mine with mayo), Lindt's 85% chocolate, olives, cheese, cold cuts, nuts... Heck, you could even go to Burger King and order a burger, just tell them to hold the bun. They won't even blink at the question.
You also want to get yourself a meter. Test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was perfect and can safely be repeated.If it's higher, then there were more carbs (and thus sugars) in there than you could process back out again. A lot of us eat to our meter, but once you know what certain foods do, you can just go without testing. but at first, a food diary with testresults would be handy, for you and your doc.

It'll be okay. You'll get a grip on this. And like I said, you can read all of the above and forget it immediately, because you're in shock right now and it's alright: the ability to concentrate on such things will come back to you. The most important thing to take away from this is you will be okay. Really. You will be. This is not the end, you're not doomed, you'll handle this.

Good luck,
Jo

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't go to the opticians unless you absolutely have to. High glucose in your system can cause blurry vision. Once you have a bit more control, your vision may well return to normal.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's mindblowing, I know... I was so scared and confused when first diagnosed, and so lost. There's so much to take in, and so much advice is conflicting. First off: it will be okay. It doesn't feel like it right now, but you will be. That i can give you right off: a bit of hope that this is something you can and will get a grip on.

So here's a LOT of information that you don't have to remember all in one go. Just come back to it later, or take notes or whatever. It's a lot to learn, and I'll try to keep it simple, but it's still a lot. If you feel like it, get the books by Dr. Jason Fung: he's really good in explaining stuff and making you feel better and more in control.

As a T2, you're insulin resistant. That means you can't process glucose out of your body efficiently, and practically all carbohydrates turn to glucose when ingested. Including starches for instance, not just straight sugars. So you want to cut carbs. They're in cereal (sorry, that includes weetabix, muesli, porridge), potatoes, rice, corn, pasta, bread... Brown or white doesn't really matter, alas. Fruit also contains a lot of sugars, though avocado, tomatoes and berries are okay. So what does that leave you with? Meat (bacon is your new best friend), fish, eggs, above ground veggies/leafy greens, nuts, butter, cheese, full fat greek yoghurt, olives, extra dark chocolate, that sort of thing... So in practice, meals could look like this:
3 eggs with bacon, cheese, mushrooms and/or sausages (high meat content). Salad with a can of tuna, capers, olives and avocado. Or goat's cheese with salad and a nice vinaigrette. Meat or fish with loads of veggies, with bacon if you like, and cheese. (Cauliflower rice is insanely versatile). Snacks could be pork scratchings, (I like mine with mayo), Lindt's 85% chocolate, olives, cheese, cold cuts, nuts... Heck, you could even go to Burger King and order a burger, just tell them to hold the bun. They won't even blink at the question.
You also want to get yourself a meter. Test before a meal and 2 hours after first bite. If you don't go up more than 2.0 mmol/l, that meal was perfect and can safely be repeated.If it's higher, then there were more carbs (and thus sugars) in there than you could process back out again. A lot of us eat to our meter, but once you know what certain foods do, you can just go without testing. but at first, a food diary with testresults would be handy, for you and your doc.

It'll be okay. You'll get a grip on this. And like I said, you can read all of the above and forget it immediately, because you're in shock right now and it's alright: the ability to concentrate on such things will come back to you. The most important thing to take away from this is you will be okay. Really. You will be. This is not the end, you're not doomed, you'll handle this.

Good luck,
Jo
Thank you so much for your reply, it took me a few reads to take it in. I honestly have no clue what I’m doing and I just feel so overwhelmed.

I will struggle with breakfast stuff as I work in an office and I can’t make eggs and bacon and things like that so I have no idea what I’m supposed to do.
I just wish I understood what I can and can’t have, it’s devestated me that I will have this for the rest of my life.

Reactions: JoKalsbeek
M

Member496333

Above else try to stay calm and relax. I realise that may seem impossible but you’ll only be raising blood glucose further by stressing. You are in safe hands here. So much knowledge and so many kind and helpful people in the community. We will guide you along the right path.

One of the first things you need to get to grips with is the concept that all official advice from your government with regards to treating your condition, is poppycock. Throw away any leaflets or pamphlets that your doctor gave you. Regard everything he/she says with suspicion, and turn to diabetes.co.uk as your fountain of knowledge. Ignore the charity Diabetes UK. They’re not interested in your health.

Good luck. Relax. We are here to help. Baby steps. You’ll be ok! :D

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Above else try to stay calm and relax. I realise that may seem impossible but you’ll only be raising blood glucose further by stressing. You are in safe hands here. So much knowledge and so many kind and helpful people in the community. We will guide you along the right path.

One of the first things you need to get to grips with is the concept that all official advice from your government with regards to treating your condition, is poppycock. Throw away any leaflets or pamphlets that your doctor gave you. Regard everything he/she says with suspicion, and turn to diabetes.co.uk as your fountain of knowledge. Ignore the charity Diabetes UK. They’re not interested in your health.

Good luck. Relax. We are here to help. Baby steps. You’ll be ok! :D
I don’t have to see the doctor for another 3 months for more blood tests. At the moment I am just 100% devestated that I’m gonna have this for the rest of my life and this is going to be what it’s like, I’m just so confused by it all.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't go to the opticians unless you absolutely have to. High glucose in your system can cause blurry vision. Once you have a bit more control, your vision may well return to normal.
Thanks for the advice :)

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No rice, pasta or bread of any colour.

No bran flakes or Weetabix.

Breakfast: high meat sausages, eggs, mushrooms, bacon?

Read up on LCHF, low carb high/healthy fat, diet. It is how most of us control our blood glucose.

If you decide to go that way we can give you further advice.
I would love some advice on this LCHF diet.
I don’t like a lot of foods like tomotoes, mushrooms, avocado and I have read a lot of receipts have these but I can’t eat them.

M

Member496333

I don’t have to see the doctor for another 3 months for more blood tests. At the moment I am just 100% devestated that I’m gonna have this for the rest of my life and this is going to be what it’s like, I’m just so confused by it all.

Seriously, chill out. It is not the catastrophic degenerative disease that the establishment would have you believe. Well, it is if you follow their advice. Follow ours and it isn’t. I thought the same as you at first. I didn’t know what I was going to eat. Now I’m happier with food than I ever have been my whole life.

I was diagnosed late and I suffered some pretty bad and painful complications as I was getting better, but now I’m grateful that I got it. I’ve never been happier and healthier. I understand it’s daunting at first, but please have faith that in a couple of years from now you’ll look back and smile.

Chin up! Hugs all around :D

Reactions: Roulis

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your reply, it took me a few reads to take it in. I honestly have no clue what I’m doing and I just feel so overwhelmed.

I will struggle with breakfast stuff as I work in an office and I can’t make eggs and bacon and things like that so I have no idea what I’m supposed to do.
I just wish I understood what I can and can’t have, it’s devestated me that I will have this for the rest of my life.

It's understandable you feel overwhelmed right now, but you have come to the right place for support. How about natural Greek yoghurt with a few berries, nuts and seeds for breakfast? Some people find this works well for them, including my husband, who can't really stomach eggs first thing.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you like bacon and cheese, you are practically home free! Feel your way around. When diagnosed, I spent a fortune on fancy flours, a lot of them still unopened.

If you bake, there are loads of things you can make, including sweet things, you do have to ditch the flour and get almond meal or coconut flour and get a sweetner instead of sugar.

If you like pizza, look up Fat Head dough. It's unbelievable.

KFC I'm your gal. Provided you like port scratchings of course.

Look up Fat Bombs. Although, at the beginning you would be better to re-educate your palette to less sweet things, you can see that there are good things on the horizon.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Deborah, so sorry to hear how your feeling, but it pretty much how most of us felt, on that awful day of being told.

The horrible news was you have diabetes,
HOWEVER the good news is now you know, YOU can do something about it.

The members on here have already rallied to offer support, and the advise and links for further information, will be invaluable over the coming weeks and months.

So as said take a deep breathe, and take the time to find out what is an advisable breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack for us type 2's.

Like you I thought cereal was healthy for me, but it'snot something I eat now.

I do however, now enjoy poached eggs most mornings or Greek yoghurt n blueberries..I've even ventured beyond my comfort zone with scrambled eggs with avocado.

So for all of us, the choice of food changes, but the changes can be both healthier for US....and rather delicious.

Jo and the others have been bang on..we all were hurt by our news, but the best thing is you have arrived among new friends, all willing to offer help, advice and to just
point to articles that may help inform you better what foods are best suited for us.

So take in the advice in your own good time, but for now, just avoid the ones stated in other posts...after all, what do you have to lose by trying...it might just show you how simple some of the actions are to improving our health.

Best wishes, Deborah,
as many have said
You'll be ok...we got ya.