So confused

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am two years from diagnosis now, and hardcore low carb - except for a couple of bars of high cocoa chocolate a month.
Crisps or cake would not be a temptation - I did try a chip the other day - just to see, and wondered why anyone would want to eat them - I just can't get my head around 'treat' these days. Now a half a bag of sweet and crunchy salad, with tuna or eggs and cheese, coleslaw and tomato - radishes and a few sticks of celery - yum.
Oh - and real coffee with very thick cream - not as a treat but every day.
Ha! We get the good stuff - really we do.
And get thinner whilst we are at it too (snigger) so the only disadvantage is having to buy new clothes in smaller sizes.
Hang on - that doesn't seem quite right....
Well I went shopping to the supermarket earlier and I bought a whole bunch of different cheese and of course bacon!! Loads of frozen veg like broccoli and spinach and cauliflower, so I’m sure I can make up something with that. Oh and also chicken.

Hotpepper20000

When I have a bunch of little bits of cheese in the fridge leftover I cube it up mix it with cauliflower and bake with a drizzle of cream.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never throw cheese away. Freeze it, even the rinds. If you're making a dish, soup, stew etc, put a rind into the pot to add a depth of flavour.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Cheesy leftovers - you mean that cheese lasts that long?! I keep the local market Cheeseman in business. Suffolk gold, various blues, various cheddars and soft cheeses. A bag full samples of that lasts me about a week. On a recent holiday I was champing at the bit for the late night buffet to open so that I could get my 'cheese fix' for the day. Full fat Greek style yoghurt, extra thick cream, eggs, bacon, above ground vege, mushroom and chicken soups for lunch at work if I don't make my own veg brew and throw in some left over meat. Fish poached in a little milk and finished with a grated cheese topping browned under the grill is my speciality. I have to keep on eating to stop losing too much weight - wide belts show off my newly discovered waistline and mean that I can still wear things that are really at least a size too big.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed a belt last week and found one I used to wear, the mark was plain to see where I used to fasten it, my waist is now comfortably 8 inches smaller.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed a belt last week and found one I used to wear, the mark was plain to see where I used to fasten it, my waist is now comfortably 8 inches smaller.
Aww that’s so amazing! I’m going to make my own bread tomorrow! I’m so excited!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww that’s so amazing! I’m going to make my own bread tomorrow! I’m so excited!
I make bread - to my own recipe for ordinary bread I add psyllium flour, coconut flour, a milled seed mix from Lidl, ground almond flour, and to help the yeast raise the mixture I add in baking powder. I made small loaves, and put them in the freezer, took out one a week - but I am thinking of making rolls in muffin tins to reduce the temptation to overindulge.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy!!
Make sure you test see how your BG reacts.
I’m having a bit of a wobble as I have tried to make these **** pancakes three times and I just can’t do it!
I know it’s not the end of the world but I’m so upset, I just want to be able to make nice things and actually be able to do this, I know I’m only a week in but I could cry :bigtears:

Hotpepper20000

I’m having a bit of a wobble as I have tried to make these **** pancakes three times and I just can’t do it!
I know it’s not the end of the world but I’m so upset, I just want to be able to make nice things and actually be able to do this, I know I’m only a week in but I could cry :bigtears:
It frustrating. But remember it’s ONLY one week.
Early days.
I find bacon and eggs easier.
When I first started my journey I also made low carb pancakes and bread. I still do when I have guests.
But I found all those thing even though they didn’t raise my BG caused me to eat way too much. Somehow it tiggers my hunger again.

Reactions: Deborah 85

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know how you feel. This happened to me a few weeks ago.

Well I bought this cook book. It uses various nut flours to bake all sorts of breads, crackers, breadsticks, desserts etc. I have been looking forward to eating this stuff, very low carb.
The nut flours are very expensive and I have been eagerly awaiting my Amazon purchases. Finally I got the last one today. Great!!
So I started.
Then OH comes into the kitchen and needs my space.
I leave.

I have been gathering the ingredients and I start mixing the dry stuff. Where is the baking powder? I distinctly remember getting it out of the cupboard. So I look for this for about 20 minutes. Then I find a very old tub at the back of the cupboard. This will have to do, good thing I didn't throw it out.
Can't find the dried parsley, dried chives will have to do.
OK, the wet ingredients. 1 table spoon of butter, melted.
Into the microwave. Microwave starts flashing and making a racket. Turn off microwave. MIKE!!! He eventually turns up. He tries it and says OMG and turns it off.
OK melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk the eggs and add the melted butter. Whisk again.
Add the dry ingredients. Whisk into a stiff batter. STIFF??? I can hardly move the ****** stuff.
OK get the kitchen aid out. Not used it for about 10 years. It needs a wash. Ready to go. Fire it up and..... it doesn't work. Dead as a dodo. Go on line looking for hints. No go.
I can't mix this stuff by hand.
Stick blender. Whisk attachment. I look at the contents of the bowl. It is not strong enough for that.
I am not a natural baker. What to do. I add an egg white and start whisking. For about 3 seconds. Get a Tea Towel and put it over the bowl to try and keep the contents off the walls, try again.
I certainly wouldn't have called it a batter. Carried on. Heated the oil for deep frying. Instructions are to use a soup spoon and use your finger to slide the batter gently into the hot oil. OK. Peel the batter of the spoon and stand back as it hits the oil.
I only had the energy to make 5 or 6.
I had 4 for dinner but forgot to test my blood 2 hours afterwards. I did three and a half hours. Readings good but too late to be accurate for my purposes.

In my bowl I still have a quantity of mixture the Romans would have been proud to call cement.

Ordered a new microwave.

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't be upset, @Deborah 85. I've also had no luck with pancakes and I have tried several times in the last three years.

Did you have a look at the recipes on dietdoctor.com? I really like the DD keto bread recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deborah 85

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make bread - to my own recipe for ordinary bread I add psyllium flour, coconut flour, a milled seed mix from Lidl, ground almond flour, and to help the yeast raise the mixture I add in baking powder. I made small loaves, and put them in the freezer, took out one a week - but I am thinking of making rolls in muffin tins to reduce the temptation to overindulge.
That sounds sooo yummy!

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be upset, @Deborah 85. I've also had no luck with pancakes and I have tried several times in the last three years.

Did you have a look at the recipes on dietdoctor.com? I really like the DD keto bread recipe.
I tried three times today alone and I got fed up I ended up having a tantrum and made egg muffins instead as I knew I could eat them.
I’m trying right now to make one of the breads on the website so fingers crossed

Reactions: ziggy_w

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It frustrating. But remember it’s ONLY one week.
Early days.
I find bacon and eggs easier.
When I first started my journey I also made low carb pancakes and bread. I still do when I have guests.
But I found all those thing even though they didn’t raise my BG caused me to eat way too much. Somehow it tiggers my hunger again.
I have tried three times today to make coconut pancakes and I have decided to give up, I made that jam on the diet doctor page but it’s basiclly just tastes like puréed raspberries lol

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried three times today alone and I got fed up I ended up having a tantrum and made egg muffins instead as I knew I could eat them.
I’m trying right now to make one of the breads on the website so fingers crossed

Hope it goes well, @Deborah 85. There are many wonderful recipes, but it takes time to find the ones that work for you. Well done for getting off to a running start.