So confused

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am two years from diagnosis now, and hardcore low carb - except for a couple of bars of high cocoa chocolate a month.
Crisps or cake would not be a temptation - I did try a chip the other day - just to see, and wondered why anyone would want to eat them - I just can't get my head around 'treat' these days. Now a half a bag of sweet and crunchy salad, with tuna or eggs and cheese, coleslaw and tomato - radishes and a few sticks of celery - yum.
Oh - and real coffee with very thick cream - not as a treat but every day.
Ha! We get the good stuff - really we do.
And get thinner whilst we are at it too (snigger) so the only disadvantage is having to buy new clothes in smaller sizes.
Hang on - that doesn't seem quite right....
Well I went shopping to the supermarket earlier and I bought a whole bunch of different cheese and of course bacon!! Loads of frozen veg like broccoli and spinach and cauliflower, so I’m sure I can make up something with that. Oh and also chicken.

Hotpepper20000

When I have a bunch of little bits of cheese in the fridge leftover I cube it up mix it with cauliflower and bake with a drizzle of cream.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Never throw cheese away. Freeze it, even the rinds. If you're making a dish, soup, stew etc, put a rind into the pot to add a depth of flavour.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Cheesy leftovers - you mean that cheese lasts that long?! I keep the local market Cheeseman in business. Suffolk gold, various blues, various cheddars and soft cheeses. A bag full samples of that lasts me about a week. On a recent holiday I was champing at the bit for the late night buffet to open so that I could get my 'cheese fix' for the day. Full fat Greek style yoghurt, extra thick cream, eggs, bacon, above ground vege, mushroom and chicken soups for lunch at work if I don't make my own veg brew and throw in some left over meat. Fish poached in a little milk and finished with a grated cheese topping browned under the grill is my speciality. I have to keep on eating to stop losing too much weight - wide belts show off my newly discovered waistline and mean that I can still wear things that are really at least a size too big.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed a belt last week and found one I used to wear, the mark was plain to see where I used to fasten it, my waist is now comfortably 8 inches smaller.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I needed a belt last week and found one I used to wear, the mark was plain to see where I used to fasten it, my waist is now comfortably 8 inches smaller.
Aww that’s so amazing! I’m going to make my own bread tomorrow! I’m so excited!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Aww that’s so amazing! I’m going to make my own bread tomorrow! I’m so excited!
I make bread - to my own recipe for ordinary bread I add psyllium flour, coconut flour, a milled seed mix from Lidl, ground almond flour, and to help the yeast raise the mixture I add in baking powder. I made small loaves, and put them in the freezer, took out one a week - but I am thinking of making rolls in muffin tins to reduce the temptation to overindulge.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Enjoy!!
Make sure you test see how your BG reacts.
I’m having a bit of a wobble as I have tried to make these **** pancakes three times and I just can’t do it!
I know it’s not the end of the world but I’m so upset, I just want to be able to make nice things and actually be able to do this, I know I’m only a week in but I could cry :bigtears:

Hotpepper20000

I’m having a bit of a wobble as I have tried to make these **** pancakes three times and I just can’t do it!
I know it’s not the end of the world but I’m so upset, I just want to be able to make nice things and actually be able to do this, I know I’m only a week in but I could cry :bigtears:
It frustrating. But remember it’s ONLY one week.
Early days.
I find bacon and eggs easier.
When I first started my journey I also made low carb pancakes and bread. I still do when I have guests.
But I found all those thing even though they didn’t raise my BG caused me to eat way too much. Somehow it tiggers my hunger again.

Reactions: Deborah 85

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know how you feel. This happened to me a few weeks ago.

Well I bought this cook book. It uses various nut flours to bake all sorts of breads, crackers, breadsticks, desserts etc. I have been looking forward to eating this stuff, very low carb.
The nut flours are very expensive and I have been eagerly awaiting my Amazon purchases. Finally I got the last one today. Great!!
So I started.
Then OH comes into the kitchen and needs my space.
I leave.

I have been gathering the ingredients and I start mixing the dry stuff. Where is the baking powder? I distinctly remember getting it out of the cupboard. So I look for this for about 20 minutes. Then I find a very old tub at the back of the cupboard. This will have to do, good thing I didn't throw it out.
Can't find the dried parsley, dried chives will have to do.
OK, the wet ingredients. 1 table spoon of butter, melted.
Into the microwave. Microwave starts flashing and making a racket. Turn off microwave. MIKE!!! He eventually turns up. He tries it and says OMG and turns it off.
OK melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk the eggs and add the melted butter. Whisk again.
Add the dry ingredients. Whisk into a stiff batter. STIFF??? I can hardly move the ****** stuff.
OK get the kitchen aid out. Not used it for about 10 years. It needs a wash. Ready to go. Fire it up and..... it doesn't work. Dead as a dodo. Go on line looking for hints. No go.
I can't mix this stuff by hand.
Stick blender. Whisk attachment. I look at the contents of the bowl. It is not strong enough for that.
I am not a natural baker. What to do. I add an egg white and start whisking. For about 3 seconds. Get a Tea Towel and put it over the bowl to try and keep the contents off the walls, try again.
I certainly wouldn't have called it a batter. Carried on. Heated the oil for deep frying. Instructions are to use a soup spoon and use your finger to slide the batter gently into the hot oil. OK. Peel the batter of the spoon and stand back as it hits the oil.
I only had the energy to make 5 or 6.
I had 4 for dinner but forgot to test my blood 2 hours afterwards. I did three and a half hours. Readings good but too late to be accurate for my purposes.

In my bowl I still have a quantity of mixture the Romans would have been proud to call cement.

Ordered a new microwave.

Edited by mod for profanity.

Last edited by a moderator:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Don't be upset, @Deborah 85. I've also had no luck with pancakes and I have tried several times in the last three years.

Did you have a look at the recipes on dietdoctor.com? I really like the DD keto bread recipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deborah 85

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I make bread - to my own recipe for ordinary bread I add psyllium flour, coconut flour, a milled seed mix from Lidl, ground almond flour, and to help the yeast raise the mixture I add in baking powder. I made small loaves, and put them in the freezer, took out one a week - but I am thinking of making rolls in muffin tins to reduce the temptation to overindulge.
That sounds sooo yummy!

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be upset, @Deborah 85. I've also had no luck with pancakes and I have tried several times in the last three years.

Did you have a look at the recipes on dietdoctor.com? I really like the DD keto bread recipe.
I tried three times today alone and I got fed up I ended up having a tantrum and made egg muffins instead as I knew I could eat them.
I’m trying right now to make one of the breads on the website so fingers crossed

Reactions: ziggy_w

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It frustrating. But remember it’s ONLY one week.
Early days.
I find bacon and eggs easier.
When I first started my journey I also made low carb pancakes and bread. I still do when I have guests.
But I found all those thing even though they didn’t raise my BG caused me to eat way too much. Somehow it tiggers my hunger again.
I have tried three times today to make coconut pancakes and I have decided to give up, I made that jam on the diet doctor page but it’s basiclly just tastes like puréed raspberries lol

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried three times today alone and I got fed up I ended up having a tantrum and made egg muffins instead as I knew I could eat them.
I’m trying right now to make one of the breads on the website so fingers crossed

Hope it goes well, @Deborah 85. There are many wonderful recipes, but it takes time to find the ones that work for you. Well done for getting off to a running start.