So confused

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Streaky bacon and/or pork belly. No better fat/protein combination :D
Wait till you read what I just had for dinner.
I demolished a Salmon fish head soup...The Fat/Protein combo is to die for :p.
Thank God I have never believed LCHF equals boring, there is fantastic food to be had on this WOE.
In that one soup, I had a full compliment of collagen, Omega 3 fats, top quality protein, calcium, plus oodles of flavour that anybody could ever hope for in any meal.
My soup was seasoned with salt, black pepper, ginger, habanero, calabash nutmeg, onion and garlic,
and some greens - Ooooo what a very very tasty, very very filling soup.:D
The collagen made it thick and the spices made so very tasty, I am looking forward to this being a staple. Yum
I am a very curious and adventurous foodie and I cook cuisine from all corners of the globe:woot:.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope it goes well, @Deborah 85. There are many wonderful recipes, but it takes time to find the ones that work for you. Well done for getting off to a running start.
The bread was a disaster lol!
It’s was baked on the outside and still doughy in the middle

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The bread was a disaster lol!
It’s was baked on the outside and still doughy in the middle

So sorry to hear about the doughy break. Maybe you can just have the crust with some butter (and maybe cheese), so you don't have to throw all of it out.

Even though I've been making my own bread for years now, I still at times screw it up. Many times I ended up with bread that doesn't rise and is as hard as stone. One time I even ended up with hollow bread, looked like an empty mushroom. Was actually quite funny. Ended putting tuna salad into the bread (kind of like pita bread), which worked out quite nicely.

Don't worry -- you will be getting better -- and soon be an old hand at this.

What did you end up eating tonight instead of pancakes and bread?

If you feel it would help to see what many of us are eating on a low-carb diet, you might want to have a look at this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1044#post-1939012

Last edited:

MagzyB

Don’t be worried, I was diagnosed in June with dangerously high levels of 12.6%. I was given Metformin. I researched lots on the internet and immediately went sugar free and low carb. At my 3 month check I had lost half a stone and my levels were down to 7.6%! I’ve weighed myself today and have lost another 10/11 pounds, my nurse is going to be pleased in January!!! Please don’t be daunted it really is easier than you may think, just check the labels/ingredients on your food. I also walk my dog for an hour twice a day which helps. Good luck!!!

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry to hear about the doughy break. Maybe you can just have the crust with some butter (and maybe cheese), so you don't have to throw all of it out.

Even though I've been making my own bread for years now, I still at times screw it up. Many times I ended up with bread that doesn't rise and is as hard as stone. One time I even ended up with hollow bread, looked like an empty mushroom. Was actually quite funny. Ended putting tuna salad into the bread (kind of like pita bread), which worked out quite nicely.

Don't worry -- you will be getting better at this -- and soon be an old hand at this.

If you feel it would help to see what many of us are eating on a low-carb diet, you might want to have a look at this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1044#post-1939012

Don't worry -- you will be getting better at this -- and soon be an old hand at this.

I think I maybe put too much water in it? I did measure it but I have no clue what I’m doing so I think that might be what’s done it.
Do you have any tips for making the keto bread?
The outer part was ok so I was thinking of keeping that until tomorrow and just melting some cheese in it under the grill for an evening snack.
I ended up making paprika and garlic chicken thighs with roasted peppers and roasted cauliflower.
Thank you for the link, I will check that out.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don’t be worried, I was diagnosed in June with dangerously high levels of 12.6%. I was given Metformin. I researched lots on the internet and immediately went sugar free and low carb. At my 3 month check I had lost half a stone and my levels were down to 7.6%! I’ve weighed myself today and have lost another 10/11 pounds, my nurse is going to be pleased in January!!! Please don’t be daunted it really is easier than you may think, just check the labels/ingredients on your food. I also walk my dog for an hour twice a day which helps. Good luck!!!
The docs wanted to put me on metaformin but for other heath reasons I couldn’t go on it.
I have been finding it quite difficult to know what to eat or what to cook, I had a disaster with the bread and the pancakes.
Well done on the progress you have made! That’s amazin!

M

Member496333

Wait till you read what I just had for dinner.
I demolished a Salmon fish head soup...The Fat/Protein combo is to die for :p.
Thank God I have never believed LCHF equals boring, there is fantastic food to be had on this WOE.
In that one soup, I had a full compliment of collagen, Omega 3 fats, top quality protein, calcium, plus oodles of flavour that anybody could ever hope for in any meal.
My soup was seasoned with salt, black pepper, ginger, habanero, calabash nutmeg, onion and garlic,
and some greens - Ooooo what a very very tasty, very very filling soup.:D
The collagen made it thick and the spices made so very tasty, I am looking forward to this being a staple. Yum
I am a very curious and adventurous foodie and I cook cuisine from all corners of the globe:woot:.

Are you married?

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I maybe put too much water in it? I did measure it but I have no clue what I’m doing so I think that might be what’s done it.
Do you have any tips for making the keto bread?
The outer part was ok so I was thinking of keeping that until tomorrow and just melting some cheese in it under the grill for an evening snack.
I ended up making paprika and garlic chicken thighs with roasted peppers and roasted cauliflower.
Thank you for the link, I will check that out.

Your supper sounds absolutely yummy, @Deborah 85. Maybe the bread needed more time in the oven? If it's the dietdoctor keto bread recipe, it's done when you knock on the bread and it sounds a bit hollow. Hope this helps.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really shouldn't, but that had me spluttering my cuppa all over the shop...Hahahaha

Fair play to you for taking it so well...@xfieldok.
.<applause>

many thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your supper sounds absolutely yummy, @Deborah 85. Maybe the bread needed more time in the oven? If it's the dietdoctor keto bread recipe, it's done when you knock on the bread and it sounds a bit hollow. Hope this helps.
Yeah it was really good,
I’m not sure if more time in the oven would have made that much of a difference, they were only supposed to take 60 mins and they were in there for at least 90 haha :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you married?
:hilarious:Yes
Are you wondering what reactions my culinary forays elicit?
We are unabashed foodies, and also co-travellers on this oft delicious food odyssey, conjoined equal opportunity offenders might I add, we both find it quite exciting, habiting this realm of 'try anything once' mindset. (In the last 4 yrs I have had to add the proviso - If the BGL is agreeable as per Post Prandial BG levels:D)

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would say no. There is a no sugar sweetener available on Amazon, Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup. I haven't tried it, read the reviews. Very expensive.

Reactions: Deborah 85

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can we have honey?

Hi @Deborah 85,

How are you today?

Honey has a very similar affect on our blood glucose as regular sugar. So if it's just a very small amount, we might be able to get away with it. However, with honey, who will only have a tiny amount, not me anyway;). So might be better to skip it altogether.

About a year ago, I bought a low-carb version from Nature's Hollow. It was made with xylitol (a sugar alcohol, that doesn't raise blood sugars much). It's not quite the same -- but it'll do in a pinch.

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say no. There is a no sugar sweetener available on Amazon, Lakanto Maple Flavored Syrup. I haven't tried it, read the reviews. Very expensive.
Thank u! Aww ok cause I bought some Greek yoghurt that had honey in it but will just give it a miss

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Deborah 85,

How are you today?

Honey has a very similar affect on our blood glucose as regular sugar. So if it's just a very small amount, we might be able to get away with it. However, with honey, who will only have a tiny amount, not me anyway;). So might be better to skip it altogether.

About a year ago, I bought a low-carb version from Nature's Hollow. It was made with xylitol (a sugar alcohol, that doesn't raise blood sugars much). It's not quite the same -- but it'll do in a pinch.
Hey!
Yeah I’m good thanks and how are you?
I have been attempting the bread again, success this time, I didn’t use as much water and it seemed to have done the trick, fingers crossed it doesn’t fall flat during the night lol
Aww that fine, thanks for letting me know, I will defo be avoiding it. Are we allowed beetroot?
Sorry for all the questions, just still a bit unsure. But I have been using a ton of bacon lol

M

Member496333

Honey has a high fructose content. Fructose is not good for diabetics. It may or may not raise your blood glucose concentration out of range, but it certainly won’t do anything good for your liver or your insulin resistance.

Personally I would avoid, but everyone is free to make different choices.

Groundgripper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Busy towns and cities, heavy traffic, noisy people, rubbishy televison or radio shows, rap music.
Hi Deborah,
Panic ye not, you are in safe hands now, for just by joining up here, you have opened a wealth of knowledge and help, I too am recently diagnosed, and like you I wondered what I was going to eat, how to cope, although I am an old and cranky guy, with a lot of attitude that says- hey ho, here we we go, something else to deal with, it is still life changing, and the media have not helped with their over the top reporting.
It is daunting for you but not uncontrollable, and yes it is for life and no you are not too blame, our bodies do sneak up and bite us when we least expect it, listen to what the more experienced say on here, you can control this thing and live a good long everyday useful and productive life, the trick is to accept that it is what it is, and find out what to do to keep the the darn thing in its kennel so to speak, read and learn, take your time, think through your actions, and learn and be happy once more.

Reactions: Deborah 85