Type 1'stars R Us

K

Knikki

Nice one @Mel dCP .

Afternoon apart from this thread, which I wonder through, this forum is just getting on my mammary glands at the moment hence not a lot of activity. :mask:

Other than that, yesterday Christmas lunch with work and, according to Etch A Sketch a 2.9 to 15.2 to 2.4 to 12.9 yesterday, makes for an interesting graph if nothing else ~sigh~

Tootle pips what what, :pompous:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Nice one @Mel dCP .

Afternoon apart from this thread, which I wonder through, this forum is just getting on my mammary glands at the moment hence not a lot of activity. :mask:
Have to agree with you on that.....I see some posts and start a reply then hit delete as I do not want to offend people (very unusual for me :))

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nice one @Mel dCP .

Other than that, yesterday Christmas lunch with work and, according to Etch A Sketch a 2.9 to 15.2 to 2.4 to 12.9 yesterday, makes for an interesting graph if nothing else ~sigh~

Tootle pips what what, :pompous:
I have to say that I’m really only on this thread now, my bra couldn’t take the extra weight, if you get my drift. Like @porl69 I’ve got part way through typing a response, and thought better of it! Also, I’ve been busy doing an actual JOB apart from the FR stuff. Supply teaching is probing to be quite the eye opener, I’ve had to pass two things onto the schools’ safeguarding teams in just four days in a classroom. So I’ve not been lurking on the forum so much. Busy in the shed today, got four bangles, three rings and a repair job to do. Came in for a coffee and scoffed an entire pack of smoked salmon :D Sugars stable in the 5-6s today, which is nice. Got a heck of an adrenaline spike last night when the doozit alerted me to our call...

And thank you for all your lovely comments and support, it really means a lot. Going out to play again next Thursday, beforehand if I can find someone to buddy up with. All depends on the supply situation, some days I get a school booking the night before, sometimes it’s 0720...

And back to the grindstone...

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to agree with you on that.....I see some posts and start a reply then hit delete as I do not want to offend people (very unusual for me :))

LOL Just done exactly that!........

I hardly ever hit the delete key when typing in this thread, unless someones beats me to the punch line and replied before I've hit the post button - offend someone in here? unheard of!. But I too sometimes feel, after typing a response in other threads......whats the point someone will contradict it, or take it wrongly or get offended - obviously I live to be on this forum and to give out wrong information, misguide people and to upset as many people as I can..........:shifty::playful:

(and I don't want any of you, my friends, saying I'm pretty good at it! :hilarious:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GOOD AFTERNOON:):):).
Just finished off laying all the old slabs that we had in the garden. Wife is happy with new random/ courtyard affect we now have. Got to start looking for more slabs now to finish off rest of garden.
Somehow managed to stay around the 7’s throughout the day right upto the last half hour and then started to drop.
Tidied up and went in home to be greeted by Dexcom telling me it was need to eat time.

Big thumbs up for our resident 1st responder @Mel dCP .

@porl69 , @Knikki , @slip . Totally agree. All to often posts can be annoying. Usually spend far to much time trying to respond without incurring the wrath of those who shall be obeyed.;).
The most annoying I find is the assumption that “ a written word “ outweighs “ real life experience “.

Reactions: porl69

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, it’s pretty full-on stuff! We’re trained and equipped to deal with some serious issues - catastrophic haemorrhaging, cardiac arrest, breathing issues etc. In our kit we have military grade tourniquets, a defibrillator, oxygen, insertable tubes to help unconscious people breathe... we don’t have to work alone if we’d rather go in pairs, but my partner and I are planning to do our solo assessments when we have some follow-up training in January, so that we can go out alone if we want to. Most of the stuff we get called to are “amber” alerts - someone complaining of chest pain for example. They’ve not actually keeled over and are conscious, but there’s a high risk they might. Our patient last night had a history of heart attacks, so we were quite prepared for him to keel over and require the full treatment - but luckily he didn’t and was able to walk to the ambulance. I was so relieved, losing your first patient in the middle of a wake would have been quite a thing!

As for why, I’ve always wanted to be a medic of some sort - I wasn’t able to go to med school as a young’un, so went into biology and biochemistry instead. Then family and stuff loomed, my diabetes was making me very ill, and my dream got put so far on the back burner that it fell down the back of the cooker. But this year, now that all my tech has enabled me to get the T1 sorted, I feel like an actual human again, so I’ve been able to pursue my dream. A spot of thyroxine to up my thyroid has also made a world of difference. Emergency medicine suits my temperament very well - responding to a call and reacting when you get there, diagnosing and putting pieces of the puzzle together, and then fixing the problem as best I can - right up my alley. I’ve only done one real life call, obviously, and it had a positive outcome, but I loved every minute of it. And of course I’ve been given so much by the NHS, it’s saved my ar5e more times than I can count, and I really wanted to give something back, as cheesy as it sounds. The other main reason is very close to my heart - 20 years ago my lovely mum keeled over with a pulmonary embolism, the paramedics took a while to get there, and when they did it was too late. If by getting there ASAP and holding the fort, I can save another family going through the kind of pain we did, I’d be so happy.
@Mel dCP thanks for that, not only fascinating but really informative. I'm with others on this - I think what you're doing is awesome, go that woman!

Reactions: porl69 and kev-w

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mel, I said earlier that you were great for the patient and it’s now time to celebrate with you for realising an ambition after such a lot of dedication with getting T1 so good and turning your life around. Not easy! Time for a group whoop.
And I bet you’re the best thing that’s happened for the kids you teach.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well after my lovely 6.2 at lunchtime had a hard day at work, still sitting on my bottom but working on quite complex spreadsheet, came home at 3pm and went for lie down. Woke up about 4.30, felt OK , quick Libre but showing LO.. Oh noo, all of a sudden I did feel low. Coffee with lots of sugar and now on a really steep curve upwards. Oh well

AS to other threads I dont post much on them but find most of them fairly friendly and helpful. This thread however is the best one by far lots of lovely helpful people and advice

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Does anybody know if you can leave a libre on while having a CT scan?
i wore my libre with a CT scan -- best to check with your team doing the scan --- it is not a universal YES from my reading round the net experience

Reactions: Timostags

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Let's go for a post-work walk to collect the car which is mine until Wednesday," thinks yours truly, forgetting Friday seems to be random lows day.

On the plus side, the 3.9 appeared 55 minutes before I needed to think about driving, I was back above 5 within 10 minutes, and by the time the manager had finished talking me through all I needed to know, I was definitely clearly above 5.

The downside was the serious over-compensating to ensure I was above 5 which was possibly assisted by the waiting for a bus stress high. Luckily, I wasn't that late, but it did mean I'd not had the nice coffee I'd been anticipated I'd have prior to pick-up time.

It's been One Of Those Weeks with a vengeance and once the items I'm taking to the tip (sorry, Household Waste and Recycling) are safely there, and the Heavy and Awkward Shop has been done, I'm planning on taking myself off for a long drive!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have to say that I’m really only on this thread now, my bra couldn’t take the extra weight, if you get my drift. Like @porl69 I’ve got part way through typing a response, and thought better of it! Also, I’ve been busy doing an actual JOB apart from the FR stuff. Supply teaching is probing to be quite the eye opener, I’ve had to pass two things onto the schools’ safeguarding teams in just four days in a classroom. So I’ve not been lurking on the forum so much. Busy in the shed today, got four bangles, three rings and a repair job to do. Came in for a coffee and scoffed an entire pack of smoked salmon :D Sugars stable in the 5-6s today, which is nice. Got a heck of an adrenaline spike last night when the doozit alerted me to our call...

And thank you for all your lovely comments and support, it really means a lot. Going out to play again next Thursday, beforehand if I can find someone to buddy up with. All depends on the supply situation, some days I get a school booking the night before, sometimes it’s 0720...

And back to the grindstone...
Did the adrenaline surge affect your BSLs?
I know they affect mine.
Back in the day, I rushed from the hospital where I was working to see a doctor for a life insurance medical exam.
I know, why would I try to get life insurance as a TID? I had a young family and not much behind me in case i kicked the bucket.
I did have some sugar in the urine on testing (no glucose meters back then) and explained to the doctor that I had been involved in a cardiac arrest before I had dashed out of the hospital and the stress of that could explain the result.
He looked me up and down and said "Well you are looking very well for having had a cardiac arrest "!