Would you give up meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't really enjoy meat except bacon but feel that I ought to eat it now I have seriously cut carbs. I eat mainly chicken and fish, and wouldn't have a problem if I never ate red meat again!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yes, there is a VAST difference between ‘choosing to’ and ‘having to’.
There is a nice boost to deciding to do something, and a real downer to not having a choice.
I certainly don’t have that inner glow of smugness when I have the veggie option when I’m out... or the vegan option, because my stupid immune system hates dairy too. And when you eat low carb that mostly just means LEAVES :banghead:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really your question (without question mark I note) was "Would you give up meat"

You also made a rather bold statement

With which I happen to disagree quite strongly which then led to my statement.

As I said feel free to eat as you wish but please don't tell me that meat eaters only do it for "enjoyment" when there are many whose health has improved dramatically when switching to an all meat way of eating.

Please enjoy your thread.
Of course most people want their food to be enjoyable and do not just eat to live and so very many enjoy eating meat and nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian and not eating meat it I their life choice and not unhealthy as you seem to think. From replies here those people who are vegetarians are perfectly healthy without eating meat which you seem to think is not possible

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I certainly don’t have that inner glow of smugness when I have the veggie option when I’m out... or the vegan option, because my stupid immune system hates dairy too. And when you eat low carb that mostly just means LEAVES :banghead:
Yes that is miserable when you do not have the choice

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. From replies here those people who are vegetarians are perfectly healthy without eating meat which you seem to think is not possible
The fact that they are here at all may well show you the fault in your logic there..?

Reactions: Geordie_P

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course most people want their food to be enjoyable and do not just eat to live and so very many enjoy eating meat and nothing wrong with that just as there is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian and not eating meat it I their life choice and not unhealthy as you seem to think. From replies here those people who are vegetarians are perfectly healthy without eating meat which you seem to think is not possible
I agree, there are many low carb vegetarians on here, managing their condition successfully.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How awful. What is it in meat that you are allergic to?
Not sure what the specific allergen is, but I had extensive tests at the University hospital in Cardiff - came up highly allergic to mammal and bird meat, plus cow dairy. I get breathing difficulties, basically allergy induced asthma. I’m still able to eat fish and eggs... for now.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm here too! :)

I'll try anything once that walks, crawls or flys... Stewed grilled or fried.

But that's not to say I don't do cauliflower rice, stuffed mushrooms or halloumi diced...

Let's keep the debate nice! ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You're here as well !
Joined before I realised what I should be eating?
According to the veggie and vegan sites it should be almost impossible to get T2 when eating that way...oops!

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fact that they are here at all may well show you the fault in your logic there..?
Not just my logic but also the vegetarians there are thousands of vegetarians and vegans who do not have diabetes and thousands of meat eaters that do

Reactions: Robinredbreast

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Not just my logic but also the vegetarians there are thousands of vegetarians and vegans who do not have diabetes and thousands of meat eaters that do
I've seen some vegan propaganda that claims eating meat causes type 2 diabetes and being vegan will prevent it.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few groups making false claims about the causes of diabetes does not make all vegetarianism wrong and unhealthy.

it is perfectly possible to have a LCHF diet which is vegetarian. I have no knowledge of veganism as I have not explored it. My inability to eat nuts and seed would also be problematic getting enough nutrients if eating a vegan diet.

Reactions: Pinkorchid

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And there are thousands of vegetarians that do have T2 look at India for example....
There haven't been that many long term carnivores yet but I wonder how many of them will develop T2?
I would hesitate a guess at zero.
Remember that most meat eaters currently also eat carbs so you aren't comparing like with like.
There are lots of vegetarians and vegans who have been following that way of eating for years and still develop T2 so......

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
A few groups making false claims about the causes of diabetes does not make all vegetarianism wrong and unhealthy.
Nobody said that is what makes vegetarianism wrong and unhealthy.

Reactions: xfieldok

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How do you think being unhealthy enough to be here ( ie diabetic) relates to eating / not eating meat?
As far as I see it, people can be a healthy diabetic as a meat eater or as a non meat eater, they can also be a very unhealthy diabetic as a meat eater or a very unhealthy diabetic as a non meat eater. - meat is not the determining factor and is just is one way of getting nutrition, as are many other food choices. I personally dont find any mono food way of eating attractive and believe there is a need to carefully balance nutrients from a variety of sources. For example body does very badly without much fibre so I go for around 30g fibre a day , it also does very badly with much carbohydrate, so I go for 35 ish g carbs on average - the former needs to be eaten from sources that are low in the latter

Status
Not open for further replies.