Nice Thought but Inappropriate....

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
This is the bestest diabetic-friendly present ever.
Why ?
Both are made of soap!!!

IMG_3872.jpg

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thisis my third T2 Christmas and in past years my Christmas stocking would be stuffed with chocolates and carby stuff. This year my husband filled it with Beef Jerky, a HUGE tub of unsalted nuts, 90% Lindt chocolate, a bag of macadamias, a couple bottles of no carb beer and a huge jar of mixed olives. Will keep me going for a while. Oh and aa beautiful Herkimer diamond pendant

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not think we should ever think of a gift whatever it is as being inappropriate for us. A gift is usually given with love and what ever it is it should be appreciated not thought of as being inappropriate. People have no idea about what is not good for diabetics unless they have diabetes their self and why would we expect them to

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not think we should ever think of a gift whatever it is as being inappropriate for us. A gift is usually given with love and what ever it is it should be appreciated not thought of as being inappropriate. People have no idea about what is not good for diabetics unless they have diabetes their self and why would we expect them to
I totally agree with your last sentence and I would never say to someone’s face that their present to me was unsuitable, however bottom line is if I was given, for instance @HarrisonK ’s Thornton’s Continental I wouldn’t eat them, I’d just share them out amongst my non diabetic family members.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I totally agree with your last sentence and I would never say to someone’s face that their present to me was unsuitable, however bottom line is if I was given, for instance @HarrisonK ’s Thornton’s Continental I wouldn’t eat them, I’d just share them out amongst my non diabetic family members.
I don't think anyone with any sensitivity would tell them to their face their gift was not suitable as you say share it or give it away with discretion at some point but we should still accept and appreciate a gift whatever it is.

Reactions: jjraak and Rachox

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every year we receive a hamper from a relative. it's full of very high quality foodstuffs, and treats. This year, the speciality teas nad red wine were about the only thing I would usually consume, but the other things will mainly be used up, over time, one way or another.

I wouldn't ever mention what I wouldn't or couldn't consume from the gift, and that would be very inappropriate when that person has put time, effort and thought into their giving.

Bearing in mind, I don't broadcast what I do and don't eat (aside from these days the gluten as I have to check for that very carefully indeed) these folks would never really know who close or far from the mark they were anyway.

I must say, the chilli jelly looks good though!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like this post that was clearly meant to be funny and light hearted and in no way a criticism of the loving people that give us pressies and the gratefulness we feel. I didn't get any inappropriate pressies but then again, I am one who practically writes out a very specific list! Happy New year everyone. x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like this post that was clearly meant to be funny and light hearted and in no way a criticism of the loving people that give us pressies and the gratefulness we feel. I didn't get any inappropriate pressies but then again, I am one who practically writes out a very specific list! Happy New year everyone. x

You have summed up my intentions perfectly. I value all my presents and even if I had received something I couldn’t use I wouldn’t complain, I’d just give it away.
I just thought a thread where we could have a rant with fellow DCUK members, if necessary might help :)

Reactions: lovinglife

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have in the past received 'diabetic' chocolates from a work colleague, even though he knew I didn't eat sweets, and we had had a discussion about special diabetic foods being loaded with ingredients that are not at all beneficial, some having laxitive effect if eaten in great quantity. I just let him eat them whenever he was around. :Do_O. He was rather greedy! Served him right for being insensitive.

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother, who has been diabetic for many years, sent me some Thornton's toffee, fudge and caramel despite knowing that I have never been particularly fond of sweets, even when I was a child! Hey ho!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow, I'm just glad that the only "inappropriate" present I got was a second calendar!

Of course the pumpkin pie I bought for myself was highly inappropriate, but at least I think it will be at least a year before I will want any pumpkin pie again.

Reactions: Pinkorchid and Pipp

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My immediate family have been very thoughtful with their presents for me. Off to the ILs now....
I just thought I’d put this thread up for anyone who wants a rant about an inappropriate gift for a type 2! ;)
(Or maybe we’ve all been lucky?)

View attachment 30227
Ok I’m being dim. Are you referring to the choc covered Brazil’s? These were actually on my wish list !! as they are hard to find and I love a couple as dessert (Dark as possible though).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok I’m being dim. Are you referring to the choc covered Brazil’s? These were actually on my wish list !! as they are hard to find and I love a couple as dessert (Dark as possible though).

Do you mean chocolate covered Brazil nuts? That sounds delicious. I love Brazil nuts but only ever see them in a salted mixture. I would love to try them with dark chocolate.