Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Being in long-term exile in the Midlands from the land of my northeast coast Scottish ancestors, I always have mixed emotions around New Year. One bit of my soul gets into a massive "Let's get everywhere clean and sorted, and anything outstanding completed, before the bells." Another bit of me wants to want to be more enthusiastic about celebrating New Year, and I did enjoy the three I celebrated in Glasgow when I lived there, and the occasional ones in Dundee as a child.

However, all I really want to do now is be in bed at my usual time of around 10.30 p.m. and hope the fireworks aren't too horrendous.

Anyway, having once crossed the International Dateline on 1st January, thus briefly going back into the year before for twenty minutes, and then celebrating New Year all over again, as well as arriving in San Francisco at the same time and date I left Auckland, I'm convinced I've earned myself a year off one year if only I could sleep through the aforementioned fireworks.

Reactions: smc4761

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning fellow pancreatically challenged chums, hope you are all doing well.

BG a bit all over the place at mo, mainly due to uncertainty as to what I would be doing or how long it would take, so of course I over compensated.

Car had been playing up the past few weeks so i thought stuff it, lets treat myself. Got an 18 plate Vauxhall Viva at a good price, but boy was it hard work with my trade in price. Lots of silly haggling but I stood my ground and ended up paying about 10% less than they had offered. So pick new car up on new years eve, they needed the sale to go through by then for their figures.

I am over in the civilised part of Scotland, the west coast:angelic::angelic:. Hogmany over here is a lot different to all the trendy Wendy's and grockles that go to Edinburgh, no offence intended.

Hogmany though IMHO is not as it was years ago. Back in the day there were always house parties to go to, all of the neighbours would stay up for the bells and beyond. You had steak pie before you started to drink, settling down to watch Scotch and Wry and then Only an Excuse. Ah the memories

Hmmm............for many years in England we were led to believe that Scottish New Year's Eves had Andy Steward, Kenneth McKellar, and Moira Anderson, dancing and singing in kilts, tastefully to traditional Scottish music. You are not going to disillusion us now, are you?

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alison54321 of course not, I am sure that STV will still show these old Ceilidh programmes, cannae beat a bit of Donald Where's Your Troosers ( younger people may have to Goggle that)

I am like @Japes , i now want to go to bed at my usual time and wish they would ban fireworks, bah humbug

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Alison54321 of course not, I am sure that STV will still show these old Ceilidh programmes, cannae beat a bit of Donald Where's Your Troosers ( younger people may have to Goggle that)

I am like @Japes , i now want to go to bed at my usual time and wish they would ban fireworks, bah humbug

That's pretty much what I do too.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Love how everyone is talking about New Years. As a family we haven’t celebrated Christmas properly yet, as son has been on shift. (2 earlies 2 lates and 2 nights 10 hours each shift)
Tomorrow, present giving and Christmas dinner will take place with son, daughter in law and grandson. Very excited!
New Years Eve we will spend at home in pjs, and watch, as Leeds,Bradford and beyond set off Armageddon! The view from our front door is second to none. People would pay good money for it. We moved here 4 years ago and stopped going anywhere else. Sorry all the firework killjoys but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The only thing missing is all the boats hooting from the Humber which we used to hear when living in our hometown of Grimsby 30 odd years ago.

XCheesyToastyX

Hello everyone! New to the forum but keen on this thread as everyone is Type 1!
Struggling to control BS at the moment with Christmas as I’m sure we all are! Sticky Toffee Pudding was on the menu last night, suffered the whole night! D:

Reactions: porl69

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Struggling to control BS at the moment with Christmas as I’m sure we all are! Sticky Toffee Pudding was on the menu last night, suffered the whole night! D:
Welcome to the forum.
I did treacle sponge pudding after my Christmas Day dinner ( on Thursday ). Guesstimated and somehow got it spot on.
Sometimes think we over think all this carb counting, pre bolusing and basal testing.
On a personal level I can live with running slightly higher over the festive season. Two reasons.
1. If I’m happy then my BS isn’t affected by stress.
2. Running a bit high for 7/10 days helps improve hypo awareness.
They’re my excuses.;);)

XCheesyToastyX

Welcome to the forum.
I did treacle sponge pudding after my Christmas Day dinner ( on Thursday ). Guesstimated and somehow got it spot on.
Sometimes think we over think all this carb counting, pre bolusing and basal testing.
On a personal level I can live with running slightly higher over the festive season. Two reasons.
1. If I’m happy then my BS isn’t affected by stress.
2. Running a bit high for 7/10 days helps improve hypo awareness.
They’re my excuses.;);)

Thank you, I’ve been reading all the posts for a couple months now but finally decided to take the plunge and join in haha!
Ah amazing! I know I definitely panic once I see my blood sugar rising, I’m definitely an over corrector! They sound like good excuses to keep it a bit higher to be fair! I’m not too bad for saying no to sweet foods (apart from the sticky toffee pudding obviously!) but this time of year I’ve eaten sooo much cheese!!
I went on the insulin pump back in September and it’s soo much easier to correct!

Reactions: therower

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome xcheesytoastyx

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello @XCheesyToastyX and welcome! Think we’re all a bit too full of cheese atm. And not sure what day it is...

@Knikki - etiquette? Scary. Tried it once. Didn’t like it.

Going out on first responder duty tonight, let’s see what a Saturday night brings! My Fitbit Ionic shiny new (secondhand) smartwatch arrived today, and I’ve got it up and running with my Libre. It’s fab. I might even do some exercise (probably not). Still, it’ll vibrate at 120bpm, which is handy if I need to bounce on somebody’s chest ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Evening guys, I had a lovely 1 1/2 hour walk this morning. Went to the park, visited the birds in the aviary, walked through a small wood then took a longer route home. It cleared the cobwebs and I felt much better afterwards.
Watching a programme about Milk on BBC 2, so going to make a nice cup of tea now ............with some milk added :happy:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@therower , @Knikki , I'm now going to apply for grant funding to research the vexed question of the extent to which extending one's pinky as a matter of ettiquete while drinking a pint of beer affects meter readings.

There's obviously some issues there to do with, erm, let's see how much I can make up to persuade them to put £100,000 in my bank account, the vascular flow differentiation between extended and clasped states of mammalian pinkies.

That sounds vaguely scientific, but after the initial funding runs out, the results will prove inconclusive, so further funds will be necessary for exploring the effects of altitude - it's absolutely essential that these tests are repeated in Verbier with champagne.

This is going to be a hard job, but, if someone else is paying for it, I'll take one for the team...