Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Frustrating as the 3 and a half year road from mid-diagnosed Type 2 to LADA, this peculiar slow, late onset T1, has been, and the PITA it can be as I'm learning about what works best for me, in that trinity of food, insulin and physical activity, I regularly give thanks for the treatment of today, and the experience to be found around here from those of you who've been dealing with it all for so much longer.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki brilliant rant!
I said about a year ago, todays technology is both a blessing and a curse. Having watched my brother cope with this disease since early teenage years, with zero technology, cope with the death of his wife and the fallout bringing up 3 children under 6. He is a calm influence, gets on and lives life. Keeps as fit as he can ( which 40 years on is pretty dam fit) but maintains a sense of balance and eats what he enjoys. He listens to my obsessive ideas 5 years In to this disease with an incredulous look! He is much more intuitive than me, relying less on tech (though he does use it) and listening to his body more, like he has done since diagnosis.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK.

First off lay out stall.

I like this Forum it has lots of info, plenty of experience and lots of shoulders to cry on if need be. I fully get 'needle phobia' plus other mental health issues, not that I have had any, but it is "interesting" dealing with a friend back at work after being on suicide watch for 4 weeks, BUT, that is another story.

I, if you have not guessed, have grown up with T1D, which over the years it has certainly kept me 'entertained' should we say, plus I think I would probably scare some of you with the way I treat things, like hypo's, hypers and also what I eat. I'm also sceptical, cynical and a PITA. However I do like to help people out if and when I can.

So, it does make me wonder how some people on the forum would deal with things if they had have become Diabetic in 1971? With the advice of "1 slice of white bread is 10 grams of carbs, stay off anything thats has sugar in it and look for diabetic foods". Seriously it was like that.

The almost fanatical quest for the holy grail of LCHF that some seem to pursue.

Some of the questions that get asked make me scratch my head and ask "which queue were you in when they were giving out common sense?".

The belief that some medics are almost God's and do no wrong where as the response to others "must have got their qualifications off the side of a cereal packet" Really?? and how many qualifications do you have?.....oh hang on wait a minute...... Again related to one of the many diet/food threads on here. (no, they are human and have an opinion like everyone else, go to 4 doctors with the same symptoms and odds on your will get at least 3 different diagnosis)

The linking of offsite threads "to be discussed" knowing that it will no doubt get the heckles up of many, its like "have you heard yourself? wind your neck in and get a life".

The sometime almost "dismissal" of peoples opinions if does not fit in with the "fashion for the diet of the day".

Oh and one of my favourite subjects accuracy of blood test/libre/dexcom devices and the hilarious response of some with "how are we expected to control our blood sugar with this kind of getup?" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha try dropping 10 drops of water + 5 drops of urine in a tube add tablet that reacts and you get a colour:

33e1pgx.jpg

Blue means your LOW Brick at the other end means HIGH, accuracy like 6 hours if your lucky, Green was the ideal colour you wanted.

Anyway......there you go,,,, now I'm off for wine and curry.

I was actually thinking about this the other day and how the hell I made it to where I am today. Diagnosed in 1981, it was case of these foods are worth 10g of carbs, slice bread, apple, banana, biscuit. You can eat as much cheese, fish and meat as you like as no carbs. Pee in the test tube to see if you have sugar in urine, see you in 6 months. That was it.

6 months later, wait in clinic for 4 hours, as we were all given same appointment time. How are you coping? Fine. Ok see you in six months. That was it

Type 1's now dont know they are born and how lucky they are:):):):):)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Forgot to mention the Chocolate Aero Mousse for dessert which I have not included in the carb count with the curry :)
You should know by now that any dessert that contains the letter “ o “ in each word that describes it is by the law of LCHF zero carbs.;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not a cider drinker but, if you fancy some with your pizza and are in the West Country, you could check out these guys: https://stablepizza.com/
Interesting. I only drink twice a year. Christmas and summer holiday. This year we are in Cornwall, which geographically isn’t a million miles from Stablepizza.:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Knikki good job for getting that off your chest :)

It's important that you do get your opinion over otherwise the forum would become a dull and narrow minded place to visit, respecting each other's views and experiences is what keeps us all in it together otherwise it's a lonely road to travel on your own. Let's be honest we each know what we have to to do each day and it's a tough lot staying on track, all of our objectives are the same and that's simply to live a complication free life whilst sitting on a tightrope all the time.

Enjoy your curry, hope it's not a phaal otherwise you might be ranting again tomorrow...:hilarious:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Also diagnosed back in the dark ages, I can see exactly where Knikki’s coming from: just get out there and enjoy things, and continue to listen to the physical symptoms as well as the tech. We’re all of us soooo lucky to have been diagnosed at a time when insulin, and the NHS, are part of our lives!

Reactions: kitedoc

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey - I thought I'd sorted HMRC on the self-employed front for this year - e-mail waiting for me to tell me I'd started but not completed. Apparently, I didn't press the "Submit" button. I discovered this when I finally got back to the account. Took longer than the original process as the "Confirm Who You Are" process failed when I first tried to get back in again, the second "Confirm Who You Are" company didn't work, and I got back having finally confirmed who I was with the 3rd company... and submitted very fast. I had paid it when I thought I'd submitted the first time which hopefully won't cause angst. But, I've set a reminder to log in again at the weekend to check it's all done. (Got to allow 72 hours for the process to happen before I can query.)

Which all kind of scuppered Plan A for the evening. Students return tomorrow and there are birthdays to be celebrated, so cake was going to be made. Fortunately, Wednesday is not a good day for us getting together as a group at the end of the day for cake eating, so we'd already agreed we'd go for Thursday. I was just going to do the baking tonight for the ginger cake to mature a bit.

After last night's extra church admin landing on me last minute, my evenings aren't going well this week. At All!!

Good job everything else has settled down and is playing very nicely in range. I've obviously got the right colour socks on once again...

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. I only drink twice a year. Christmas and summer holiday. This year we are in Cornwall, which geographically isn’t a million miles from Stablepizza.:)
There's one in Falmouth.....just sayin'....

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay, my day's ended satisfactorily. Would recommend The Favourite, can see why Olivia Colman won a Golden Globe, go that woman! And @Knikki, my curiosity's finally satisfied and oh I get the point, sometimes I look at other threads and find something really helpful/fascinating/worth exploring etc etc and other times I wonder why I bothered. I mainly stay out of those but sometimes it's hard not to put in my two penn'orth....and then regret it....:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening all, thanks for elaborating @Knikki ! Getting a bit hacked off myself with all the anti vegetarian/vegan diatribes just now, I have to say.

Been out with friends for a lovely curry, including poppadoms and lime pickle. I had mushroom bhaji instead of rice to go with my prawn madras, and very nice it was too. Dosed as I went, currently at 7.2, which isn’t too bad, considering I’ve got an extended running for the prawns, and several dollops for each course as it arrived.

I also drink wine with curry - but not tonight, as I was driving :)