What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning all, been missing in Action for a few weeks but am back now. A uninspiring 10.2 greeted me today, but I am suffering with a sinus infection (even though I am a softy it is a particularly nasty one.) so I will take it.
Hope you all had a nice festive break and ate drank and was merry!!

Take care everyone.
Get well soon

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning all. 6.2 today which is ok I guess as I’m feeling very anxious about my 6monthly post cancer scan tomorrow.

Had HbA1c results back yesterday - 39 ok but bit disappointed its not a little lower. MySugr gives an estimated 33.3. @ianpspurs I share your frustration with the discrepancy between finger prick and lab test.
Also had a phone call from my surgery to come in as my cholesterol is high. Looked on Patient Access and although my total is higher than they like, my HDL, trigs and all the ratios are good so I shall go but not be intimidated into anything. The particular GP I’m seeing once misdiagnosed my granddaughter’s itchy scalp as psoriasis when actually she’d caught nits!!!

Good to see you around again @johnpol
@Bubbsie your blood test sounds nightmarish
@Ziggy2017 your new bed sounds fab. Happy snoozing.
Good luck for tomorrow.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. 6.2 today which is ok I guess as I’m feeling very anxious about my 6monthly post cancer scan tomorrow.

Had HbA1c results back yesterday - 39 ok but bit disappointed its not a little lower. MySugr gives an estimated 33.3. @ianpspurs I share your frustration with the discrepancy between finger prick and lab test.
Also had a phone call from my surgery to come in as my cholesterol is high. Looked on Patient Access and although my total is higher than they like, my HDL, trigs and all the ratios are good so I shall go but not be intimidated into anything. The particular GP I’m seeing once misdiagnosed my granddaughter’s itchy scalp as psoriasis when actually she’d caught nits!!!

I used this calculator when the statins issue came up DJC...it gives a good breakdown of cholesterol ratios...it may be helpful or tell you what you already know:)

www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used this calculator when the statins issue came up DJC...it gives a good breakdown of cholesterol ratios...it may be helpful or tell you what you already know:)

www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

Thanks @Bubbsie it’s good to go armed with all the info you can get hold of I think so at least you can have a sensible discussion ( with any luck) rather than just being told to ‘take these pills’

Reactions: Cumberland

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Thinking of you for your appointment tomorrow @DJC3. You will get some very sound advice from @shelley262 on you cholesterol. I had the exact same thing happen re mysugr. Estimate 34 actual 39. It's disappointing but still an amazing jib diabetic number :) I put it down to me not testing as much as I used to.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry you feel that way about the lab numbers - at least non diabetic is a safe place to park yourself while fulminating. No idea what constitutes good Cholesterol levels for others ( big focus for me, far less sanguine than many on here but respect their views) . Post later from @shelley262 hints at more important matters to focus on. You are a strong lady so hang tough.
My take, FWIW, is seen in isolation I would like A1c lower but taken together with weight, bp, cholesterol and eye scans if 37/38 produces best all round results I will (somehow) need to reconcile myself. That may be a stance to consider?

Last edited:

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
@DJC3 - good luck with the scan
There is an old saying: don't just focus on the wolf that is nearest the sledge, focus on the pack.
So be happy about the Hba1c - not what you want but perfectly OK.
Re Cholesterol - the arguments are polarised on the statin cholesterol debate, but remember it is a long term decision. So take your time to read up on it and make a decision that works for you (whether or not you decide to take the tablet in the meantime).

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Was 5.5 this morning, have only started testing this week...iam testing before and 2 hrs I eat and before bed, is that to much?
Sounds like perfect amount. It’s so important in the beginning to see exactly what your meals are doing to you so checking before and 2hrs after is a great way to do this and monitor what works and what doesn’t

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.2 this morning.

@KMcRae Welcome. I'm assuming you are also a Type 2 or prediabetic (generally it helps to change the designation under your name for advice). I tested 6 times a day at first to get an idea of my blood glucose levels and how I responded. (Typically I don't fluctuate much throughout the day and I almost never ever get hypoglycemia, - 3.9 or lower as I don't take any meds, diet controlled Type 2.) When I got used to testing (and knew which food and meals were likely to cause spikes), I reduced the number gradually to once a day because of the cost of test strips except for when testing specific foods.

I found testing foods was one of the most helpful tools to lower my levels. To test - test right before eating a small amount of that food (along with other foods you know that don't spike you). Then test 2 hours after eating. You should see a small rise from the pre meal reading. If it is 2.0 mmol/L or more, that's a spike and eliminate food from your diet. Generally most high carb foods (grains, potatoes etc) as well as sugar spike us. There is some individual variation in response ie. dried beans and lentils will spike some people with diabetes and not others. In my case, I can only eat black soybeans. Testing also showed me that although chickpeas/gabanzo beans/chana dal spikes me, small amounts of chickpea flour/besan does not. This type of information is really helpful in getting your numbers down.

BTW 5.5 is a good reading. It is normal or near normal depending on how you define normal. My personal target range is 4.0 - 5.4 as I aim for normal blood glucose.

Last edited:

KMcRae

5.2 this morning.

@KMcRae Welcome. I'm assuming you are also a Type 2 or prediabetic (generally it helps to change the designation under your name for advice). I tested 6 times a day at first to get an idea of my blood glucose levels and how I responded. (Typically I don't fluctuate much throughout the day and I almost never ever get hypoglycemia, - 3.9 or lower as I don't take any meds, diet controlled Type 2.) When I got used to testing (and knew which food and meals were likely to cause spikes), I reduced the number gradually to once a day because of the cost of test strips except for when testing specific foods.

I found testing foods was one of the most helpful tools to lower my levels. To test - test right before eating a small amount of that food (along with other foods you know that don't spike you). Then test 2 hours after eating. You should see a small rise from the pre meal reading. If it is 2.0 mmol/L or more, that's a spike and eliminate food from your diet. Generally most high carb foods (grains, potatoes etc) as well as sugar spike us. There is some individual variation in response ie. dried beans and lentils will spike some people with diabetes and not others. In my case, I can only eat black soybeans. Testing also showed me that although chickpeas/gabanzo beans/chana dal spikes me, small amounts of chickpea flour/besan does not. This type of information is really helpful in getting your numbers down.

BTW 5.5 is a good reading. It is normal or near normal depending on how you define normal. My personal target range is 4.0 - 5.4 as I aim for normal blood glucose.
Thanks for the advice I am T2, I have started no carbs this week and eating just 3 times a day and increasing my water intake, already feeling less sleepy and more energy... Can't believe the difference already hopefully it stays this way! After eating my bg is up between 1-1.5. This forum has already made a big impact to me personally and given me so much advice, Thanks Everyone

Reactions: ziggy_w and Freema

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you feel that way about the lab numbers - at least non diabetic is a safe place to park yourself while fulminating. No idea what constitutes good Cholesterol levels for others ( big focus for me, far less sanguine than many on here but respect their views) . Post later from @shelley262 hints at more important matters to focus on. You are a strong lady so hang tough.
My take, FWIW, is seen in isolation I would like A1c lower but taken together with weight, bp, cholesterol and eye scans if 37/38 produces best all round results I will (somehow) need to reconcile myself. That may be a stance to consider?

I reckon you are right, HbA1c is just part of the picture. It’d be nice if it was a little lower to give me a bit of wriggle room but I’m not upset about it, just a bit frustrated it didn’t match my daily averages (5.7) more closely. Did you get anywhere with looking at haematocrit and mcv etc?

Reactions: Freema

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - good luck with the scan
There is an old saying: don't just focus on the wolf that is nearest the sledge, focus on the pack.
So be happy about the Hba1c - not what you want but perfectly OK.
Re Cholesterol - the arguments are polarised on the statin cholesterol debate, but remember it is a long term decision. So take your time to read up on it and make a decision that works for you (whether or not you decide to take the tablet in the meantime).

Hi @rhubarb73. Glad to see the happy goldfish back.
I think you are saying the same as @ianpspurs - basically look at the whole picture. It’s good advice, thanks.