Almond flour - making my own.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I have tried to buy almond flour locally, but no results in the shops. I have decided to make my own. Have any others here made their own and with what results?
Thanks

Reactions: 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can get ground almonds in all the supermarkets I use - are you looking in the bakery aisle?
The desiccated coconut is in the same area.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried to buy almond flour locally, but no results in the shops. I have decided to make my own. Have any others here made their own and with what results?
Thanks

Ground almonds are much cheaper and do the same job. Most supermarkets have their own brand and the Whitworths brand is almost always on offer at Asda at 3 bags for £3.

Reactions: berylc

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
@Goonergal thanks for your reply. We have small Co-op, medium sized Tesco and similar Lidl. Sadly no Asda! I will have to keep on looking out for reductions in the supermarkets. Or wait until I go on holiday in March and shop in Glasgow.

Reactions: Goonergal

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can get ground almonds in all the supermarkets I use - are you looking in the bakery aisle?
The desiccated coconut is in the same area.

Plenty of ground almonds, but no flour. I didn't know that ground could be used in place of almond flour. I shall start experimenting soon.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal thanks for your reply. We have small Co-op, medium sized Tesco and similar Lidl. Sadly no Asda! I will have to keep on looking out for reductions in the supermarkets. Or wait until I go on holiday in March and shop in Glasgow.
Lidl have good priced ground almonds in baking section I use all the time rarely use almond flour the one time made my own using blanched almonds finely ground gave similar results to ground almonds so won’t bother in future!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lidl have good priced ground almonds in baking section I use all the time rarely use almond flour the one time made my own using blanched almonds finely ground gave similar results to ground almonds so won’t bother in future!

@shelley262 i was hunting through my cupboard for seeds and found a jar of ground almonds and 3unopened packets. So I guess I won't have to buy any for a while! I will try using ground almonds instead of the flour. Thanks for your advice

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I whizz my ground almonds up again to make a little finer before using as almond flour if I have time.. don’t think it makes much difference though!

swissmiss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Like Donnellysdogs, I re-ground the ready made ground almonds to make a low carb pumpkin cheesecake (Sugar Free Londoner website).

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello. Sainsburys sell almond flour and coconut flour.
It’s in the free from isle.
I’ve just bought whole meal Spelt flour and xylitol Sweetener from Amazon to see if I can make scones.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
You should be able to get ground almonds in Lidl.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just ground actual almonds (didn’t bother skinning them) and it worked fine, maybe a little darker but as I hadn’t used it before I knew no different. It took a few batches and was a bit of a pain if I’m honest but I hadn’t found the ground stuff then. My Sainsbury’s sell ground ones in the baking aisle and coconut flour with the other flours. I’ve seen it in Lidl too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground almonds are much cheaper and do the same job. Most supermarkets have their own brand and the Whitworths brand is almost always on offer at Asda at 3 bags for £3.
It was a shocking price in Holland and Barret.

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to get my almond and coconut flour from the local Asian supermarket, plus it's usually a lot cheaper.