1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Almond flour - making my own.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by berylc, Jan 10, 2019.

1. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have tried to buy almond flour locally, but no results in the shops. I have decided to make my own. Have any others here made their own and with what results?
    Thanks

2. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I can get ground almonds in all the supermarkets I use - are you looking in the bakery aisle?
    The desiccated coconut is in the same area.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ground almonds are much cheaper and do the same job. Most supermarkets have their own brand and the Whitworths brand is almost always on offer at Asda at 3 bags for £3.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. berylc

@Goonergal thanks for your reply. We have small Co-op, medium sized Tesco and similar Lidl. Sadly no Asda! I will have to keep on looking out for reductions in the supermarkets. Or wait until I go on holiday in March and shop in Glasgow.

• Like Like x 1
  5. berylc

Plenty of ground almonds, but no flour. I didn't know that ground could be used in place of almond flour. I shall start experimenting soon.

6. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lidl have good priced ground almonds in baking section I use all the time rarely use almond flour the one time made my own using blanched almonds finely ground gave similar results to ground almonds so won’t bother in future!

7. berylc

@shelley262 i was hunting through my cupboard for seeds and found a jar of ground almonds and 3unopened packets. So I guess I won't have to buy any for a while! I will try using ground almonds instead of the flour. Thanks for your advice

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

I whizz my ground almonds up again to make a little finer before using as almond flour if I have time.. don’t think it makes much difference though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Contralto

Contralto Type 2 · Expert

I've made it, but it is tedious. First, removing the skins. Then drying. Then chopping. Then pulverizing.

I had a load of almonds and I went even further and tried to make my own marzipan.

One easier thing is making your own almond milk.

10. swissmiss

swissmiss Prediabetes · Member

Like Donnellysdogs, I re-ground the ready made ground almonds to make a low carb pumpkin cheesecake (Sugar Free Londoner website).

11. Carol.R

Carol.R Type 1 · Newbie

Try amazon

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook