Introduce Yourself: Answer Some Personal Questions

Fridgeraider

@Fridgeraider welcome! How did your GP visit go? I don’t visit this thread often, so will look for you elsewhere.
I do want to recommend a forum very very like this one for folks who are contemplating/waiting for/have accomplished joint replacement surgery. I am a 2 time hippie there, and I so sympathise with your pain. I would like to shamelessly plug that forum (no I don’t get paid for this; in fact I donate to them lol). It’s called Bonesmart.org . Packed with info, extremely supportive just like here, and a party on New Year’s Eve! You may hear something like this,”what? Your surgeon says you have to lose x weight before he’ll take you? That’s rubbish, and we’ll help you locate some second opinions in your area. He told you to EXERCISE??!! They just do not understand how badly it hurts just to be alive some days.”
@zauberflote thank you! My GP visit wasn't too bad. I have dodged the Metformin bullet for now and have three months to improve my diet. Thank you for recommending Bonesmart; I shall take a look. I am in the UK so BMI is very important here even though my x-ray report says I need replacement now. Exercise absolutely kills me and I dread physio!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I have just joined. My name is Maureen and I will be 75 in May. I have Type 2 Diabetes . I manage it with Metformin hydrochloride (Glucient SR) I take 500mg in the morning and 1000 with my evening meal. I hate exercise but I really try to walk as much as poss every day. I struggle with working the carbs out but try to maintain a low carb diet. Would love to talk to or just read others opinions on this or give me any hints. Would someone be kind enough just to say hello so that I know I have successfully got on board. Maureen

Hi @seashore ..yep I second that..you have arrived in reception..:)

Time for all to wander the forum and get to know a little bit more about the illness we all share

My tip is pick a forum thread that's popular..some will be useful.... like learning what some others eat on a normal day.
And others will be for those who test their blood glucose levels each day, perhaps.
The choice is yours.

All offer a great way to start mingling, get used to how practical some of the solutions can be, and become a part of a group that gathers around and offers, sympathy and words of comfort & wisdom, perfect for when your first starting out, on here.

And for those questions you'd just like answers to ?...ask in a forum or make your own new post about it.

There is usually someone who has been there, at some point.

Welcome all, to the best little forum you didn't want to join.

Last edited:
Reactions: Olufisayo

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I have just joined. My name is Maureen and I will be 75 in May. I have Type 2 Diabetes . I manage it with Metformin hydrochloride (Glucient SR) I take 500mg in the morning and 1000 with my evening meal. I hate exercise but I really try to walk as much as poss every day. I struggle with working the carbs out but try to maintain a low carb diet. Would love to talk to or just read others opinions on this or give me any hints. Would someone be kind enough just to say hello so that I know I have successfully got on board. Maureen

Hi, Maureen. Welcome. :)

Reactions: jjraak

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys! I am Fridgeraider (for obvious reasons!). I am a 58 year old overweight female and have recently been diagnosed with type 2. Am having a panic as I have a GP appointment tomorrow and am clueless in knowing what to ask! I am pretty much housebound due to arthritis (need a new hip) and really do need a lock on the fridge door! I know my HbAc1 is 52 but that doesn't mean much to me yet. Am expecting to be started on Metformin (nursey said) but am not really keen as have heard of some undesirable side efects. Would e prepared to work hard at losing some of this blubber! Would be really grateful for some pointers as to how bad 52 actually is! Am feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed to be honest!

Hello, @Fridgeraider and cat. :) ^. .^

Reactions: jjraak

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@zauberflote thank you! My GP visit wasn't too bad. I have dodged the Metformin bullet for now and have three months to improve my diet. Thank you for recommending Bonesmart; I shall take a look. I am in the UK so BMI is very important here even though my x-ray report says I need replacement now. Exercise absolutely kills me and I dread physio!

Glad you’ve dodged the metformin! Here’s what I did- bought a meter immediately. Then I got an app called “Glucose”, which figures my average BG from the numbers I give it (the more I give it the closer to reality that average is), and then it also tells me my ESTIMATED HbA1c based on that average. So again, the more readings I take the closer to reality its own calculations are.
My dr wanted me back in three months also (early December), but I had reason to see him before that and told him I was doing stress, diet, and would add exercise and drop the stress in January, AND, that the estimated A1c was dropping (at that point it was .5 below the reading he’d had). We agreed I could have until mid Feb, at which point insurance would also pay for another test I’d like re-done. The app is reporting I am now .9 below that original lab reading, and have moved into normal range.
So maybe if you can make progress in three months, you could get a similar extension. For me, it’s taken me to where I hope not to have to add “T2D” to my resumé. I will be eating this way the rest of my life!
This Way Of Eating is actually not difficult to live with. Counterintuitively, we cut carbs waaayyy down, and add fats-all the ones we’ve been told will kill us- and it seems many people are losing weight, not even counting calories. Myself included. I do practise portion control, as there’s no way I’m going to exercise enough to burn off too much food. But I am rarely hungry! This is reported by lots on here.
As far as the hip, yes, the BMI has come to rule. That’s why you may need a few more opinions; find somebody who understands that by giving you a new hip he will be giving you a new life, and since the new one won’t hurt (after a month or so, and even before that if you’re lucky) and most especially Will Not Have The Grinding Debilitating Pain of OA !!!!, you’ll be able to walk your BMI down enjoyably, and OA pain-free!!
I’ll tell you a little secret… I did physical therapy with my first hip, because I was supposed to. What it was most helpful with was keeping me off the streets, and it may have permanently restricted my ROM… with the second hip, I was much more confident, and did zero zip zilch physical therapy. Every hip is different, and my second one was very much easier to recover from than my first. I never lost the feeling of stability in that hip, as I had lost it with the first one for a couple of months. Every hip is different, and nobody has two identical experiences, even if they do bilateral. Go to Bonesmart (no need to join to browse) and look for my two recovery threads. Same screen name as here. Also search BMI, and overweight, and you should see lots of posts with the “rubbish!!” response
I’m a little bit of an evangelist aren’t I?
Edited for clarity

Karl robins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
31A84706-0F75-4069-80E4-D7FC1A49DD46.jpeg
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- Include a photo here if you wish to.
- What is your name? Karl Robins
- How old are you? 64
- Are you male or female? Male
- Which country are you from? England
- Which city/area do you live in? Berwick upon Tweed
- Are you religious? No
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Funny, motivated, adventurous
- Do you have any pets? No
- Microsoft or Apple? Both
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? None any more, cricket, squash, tenpin bowling
- Do you get angry easily? Can do, righteous indignation rather than anger!
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Show of hands, Oysterband, Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor, Chris While
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Folk rock
- What is your favourite flag? Eu
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Malta, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Ireland, Gibraltar and many others
- Favourite city? Paris
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Auf wiedersehen Pet, Morse, Yes minister/Prime minister, Only fools, porridge
- List your five favourite films. Shawshank redemption, Notting Hill, Green Mile, Groundhog Day, Dances with wolves
- Are you wealthy? No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Retired Senior lecturer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. Mental health, counselling, drug and alcohol use
- What do you like most about yourself? I believe in fairness and justice
- What do you like least about yourself? Can be too hasty to make initial judgements

Have fun! If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got

Dianatty

Okay let's give this a go.

I tried to upload but all my photo file sizes are too big

- What is your name?
Natalie

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?
Female

- Which country are you from?
UK, specifically England

- Which city/area do you live in?
Derbyshire at this moment in time

- Are you religious?
No but I find the concept fascinating

- Pick three words to describe your personality.
Compassionate, funny, creative

- Do you have any pets?
Not currently but I have two family dogs

- Microsoft or Apple?
I suppose Microsoft

- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?
Never been a sporty person. Exercise isn't my strong point haha.

- Do you get angry easily?
No

- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?
Piercings- earlobes, tragus and cartilage
Tattoos- one on my upper arm and one on each wrist

- List your five favourite musicians/bands.
Panic!at the disco, trivium, Melanie Martinez, five finger death punch, shinedown

- What would you say your favourite music genre is?
Rock/metal

- Ever gone camping?
Yes

- Ever been in love?
Oh yes and I still am

- Ever used fake tan?
I've used that Johnson's pigmented body lotion for prom does that count?

- Which countries have you visited?
America, France, Spain, Romania and Turkey

- Favourite city?
Currently Paris

- List your five favourite TV programmes.
Doctor who, Rick and morty, house, orphan black and black mirror

- List your five favourite films.
Alien, beetlejuice, nightmare before Xmas, mulan, Harry potter 1-3

- Are you wealthy?
Oh I wish

- Do you work? If so, as what?
I'm currently job hunting but I'm an Occupational therapist

- List the subjects you study/have studied.
I have an Occupational Therapy bachelor's degree

- What do you like most about yourself?
My sense of humour

- What do you like least about yourself?
My ability to procrastinate

I have to admit this was fun!

Karl robins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi @Karl robins
welcome to the forum.
Hello and many thanks! Looks like a great mine of information!
I’m Karl, diagnosed many years ago eith type 2 but up until a year ago no symptoms.
Now on Metformin 2000 a day, but Hsbc1 not budging yet and up through the roof at 117. New medication starting this week, but now obsessive looking at low carb eating
Good to ‘meet’ you on here
Very best
Karl

Reactions: Alison Campbell

rayzohan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is your name? Raymond Emmanuel
- How old are you? 28yrs
- Which country are you from? United Republic Of Tanzania
- Which city/area do you live in? Dar es salaam
- Are you religious? Yes
- Pick three words to describe your personality. kindness, knowledge and Wisdom
- Do you have any pets?No
- Microsoft or Apple? Apple
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play?Footbal
- Do you get angry easily? Sometimes, It depend
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where?No
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Kendrick Lamar, 2pac, B.I.G, Justine Timberlake, SIA.
- What would you say your favourite music genre is?TDE
- What is your favourite flag?no
- Ever gone camping?Yes
- Ever been in love?yes
- Ever used fake tan?no
- Which countries have you visited?Kenya
- Favourite city?LA
- List your five favourite TV programmes.Only supersports and Natiaonal Geographic Channels
- List your five favourite films.God Father
- Are you wealthy?No
- Do you work? If so, as what? Yes, Telecommunication Engineer
- List the subjects you study/have studied.Telecoms Engineering
- What do you like most about yourself?Yes
- What do you like least about yourself?Short temper.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

grantciccone

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
What is your name?
- How old are you? - 51
- Are you male or female? - MALE
- Which country are you from? - UNITED KINGDOM
- Which city/area do you live in? - LONDON
- Are you religious? - YES
- Pick three words to describe your personality. - CHEERFUL/GRUMPY/LAID BACK
- Do you have any pets? - NO
- Microsoft or Apple? - MICROSOFT
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? - LIKE RUGBY
- Do you get angry easily? - NO
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? - NONE
- List your five favourite musicians/bands.- GLEN MILLER/BIG BAND
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? - CLASSICAL
- What is your favourite flag? - ST, GEORGE'S
- Ever gone camping? - YES
- Ever been in love? - YES
- Ever used fake tan? - NO
- Which countries have you visited? - MEXICO/SINGAPORE/ITALY/FRANCE/IRELAND/TAIWAN/CHINA/GREECE/DENMARK/HONG KONG/MACAU/GERMANY/USA/THAILAND/CAMBODIA/INDONESIA/MALAYSIA
- Favourite city? - ROME
- List your five favourite TV programmes. - CALL THE MIDWIFE/HOLBY CITY/STRICTLY COME DANCING/GOGGLEBOX
- List your five favourite films. TOO MANY TO MENTION
- Are you wealthy? - I TOOK A VOW OF POVERTY
- Do you work? If so, as what? PRIEST
- List the subjects you study/have studied. - THEOLOGY/NURSING
- What do you like most about yourself? - EVERYTHING
- What do you like least about yourself? - MY BELLY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi new here!
Here's my answers:

- What is your name? Toby
- How old are you? 45
- Which country are you from? UK
- Which city/area do you live in? Sheffield
- Are you religious? Not Sure
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Comical, Radical , Compassionate
- Microsoft or Apple? Neither Chrome
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Pool
- Do you get angry easily? Depends
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Shaky, Elvis, Dave Edmunds, Carl Perkins, Imelda May
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock 'n' Roll
- What is your favourite flag? Esperanto
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes & married
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? None
- Favourite city? Blackpool
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Dr Who, Casualty, Holby City, Vera, Mrs Browns Boys
- List your five favourite films. Jungle 2 Jungle, Death Wishes
- Are you wealthy? In my dreams.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Presently I am a Medical Education Volunteer with NHS Mental Health Trust
- List the subjects you study/have studied. English, Maths, Community Studies, Criminology
- What do you like most about yourself? My Humour
- What do you like least about yourself? My Health Issues

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi new here!
Here's my answers:

- What is your name? Toby
- How old are you? 45
- Which city/area do you live in? Sheffield
- Are you religious? Not Sure
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Comical, Radical , Compassionate
- Microsoft or Apple? Neither Chrome
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? Pool
- Do you get angry easily? Depends
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. Shaky, Elvis, Dave Edmunds, Carl Perkins, Imelda May
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock 'n' Roll
- What is your favourite flag? Esperanto
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes & married
- Ever used fake tan? No
- Which countries have you visited? None
- Favourite city? Blackpool
- List your five favourite TV programmes. Dr Who, Casualty, Holby City, Vera, Mrs Browns Boys
- List your five favourite films. Jungle 2 Jungle, Death Wishes
- Are you wealthy? In my dreams.
- Do you work? If so, as what? Presently I am a Medical Education Volunteer with NHS Mental Health Trust
- List the subjects you study/have studied. English, Maths, Community Studies, Criminology
- What do you like most about yourself? My Humour
- What do you like least about yourself? My Health Issues
Hi and welcome!

ariful700

I'm Ariful Islam. I'm 30 years old only. I'm suffering from diabetes recently. My doctor says me it's Type 2 diabetes. She advised me take insulin mixed for 1st time whis dose are 12+0+8 (+-2). And also record blood sugar 2 times in a day with in three days. Those results are 14.4 after meal 18.4 8.9 after breakfast 16. In day 2 before dinner 9.5 after dinner 16.5. Before breakfast 100 after breakfast 14.5. In day 3 before dinner 10.1 after dinner 14.00 before breakfast 9.0 after breakfast 12.0 but today is day 5 before dinner 5.9 I'm happy but it only possible for around 4 or 5 kilometers walking .

nikolakiss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Greetings from greece.Nice meeting you all.36 years old ,type 1 here for about 25 years ... I really hope to be helpful to everyone

Brett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
- What is your name? Brett - 2T's!
- How old are you? 45
- Which city/area do you live in? Sunny Swindon
- Are you religious? No....
- Pick three words to describe your personality. Mischievous, bubbly, logical
- Do you have any pets? 4 cats
- Microsoft or Apple? MS
- Which sport(s) (if any) do you like/play? 5 a side, squash, badminton,
- Do you get angry easily? Nope
- Do you have any tattoos or piercings? If so, where? None
- List your five favourite musicians/bands. James (the band!), erasure (guilty pleasure!), black Grape, Oasis, Foo fighters
- What would you say your favourite music genre is? Rock probably
- What is your favourite flag? Union Jack!
- Ever gone camping? Yes
- Ever been in love? Yes
- Ever used fake tan? No......I'm ginger!
- Which countries have you visited? Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain
- Favourite city? Amsterdam!!!
- List your five favourite TV programmes. hunted, celeb juice, MOTD, Super Sunday, Alone
- Are you wealthy? No....
- Do you work? If so, as what? Electrical engineer
- List the subjects you study/have studied. engineering, physics, power electronics, pneumatics,
- What do you like most about yourself? I think I'm well funny......I think
- What do you like least about yourself? Overly self critical

Hi all!

Doxin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This thread will hopefully let us to get to know one another better and allow us to see which users we might share similarities with. I've listed a set of questions below that you can answer to tell us more about yourself. By no means do you have to answer all of them, and if you feel like adding further information, feel free.

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- What is your favourite flag?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!
- What is your name?
Better not it's a family forum I may scare the kids

- What is your name?
Doxin

- How old are you?
I'm going to be 76 on July 2019

Male

I'm from Indonesia

Jakarta

- Are you religious?
Not too .. however I strongly believe in God.

Curious .. patient .. and not smart

- Do you have any pets?
No

- Microsoft or Apple?
Microsoft

Trying to commit in workouts for diabetic.

Not easily but when it hapens I go big!

I don't like it.

Basically, I like some musicians, local and global.

Not specific, like classic and local keroncong as well as jazz

Indonesian's and many others, too.

- Ever gone camping?
yes

- Ever been in love?
It's still .. until now.

- Ever used fake tan?
Don;t know what it is.
Australia

- Favourite city?
Bogor, Indonesia. Mild weather and not too crowded,

TVRI, CNN Indonesia, Al Jazeera, EuroTV, MetroTV.

Rarely goes to movie, except documentary one.

- Are you wealthy?
Not at all but thankful to what I live so far.

I was retired from the Ministry of Health, Rep of Indonesia.

Mainly medical related knowledge.

Very thankful to all I am destined to.

Stupid enough in overcoming my illnesses.

But to finish on a positve, best achievement- winning club tournament at badminton in my comeback season after a serious motorbike accident, also losing 4 stone

gossage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
staying at home all day

- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- Are you religious?
- Do you have any pets?
- Microsoft or Apple?
- Ever gone camping?
- Ever been in love?
- Ever used fake tan?
- Favourite city?
- Are you wealthy?

Have fun!