A short rant

Aestire

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
So, some of you on here know that I'm pregnant, if not, then you know now! Well, naturally, I'm on a few pregnancy boards and right now, the women are all going through a 1 hour, and 3 hour glucose test (I am refusing to do mine as my sugars are fine, given I monitor them often throughout the day and stick to my diet).
So here's something that has been annoying me- and I know that BS isn't easy to monitor, and yada yada- but I can't stand seeing the women complain that they don't know why their sugar spiked after they ate a McDonald's burger, fries, and a coke. It makes me INCREDIBLY annoyed because it's like they aren't even trying to take care of themselves, and some will avoid sugar, but not carbs? And it annoys me that their doctor never told them that carbs are a big no-no too. I, of course, always offer my support, advice, and experience. It just blows my mind that so many people will also just eat food first and then take note of the sugars in the food AFTER rather than looking at the nutritional facts and using their common sense to NOT EAT FRUITY PEBBLES.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You can lead a horse to water...

Well done for trying, if just one mum-to-be takes notice it will be well worth it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup. I'm not even pregnant and I just left a low carb fb group after too many people suggested to make oatmeal more palatable by adding banana and honey. 50 answers to the question of how to start liking oatmeal and no-one even wondered why you would want to eat the stuff in the first place on a low carb diet.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Aestire,
My take, a derivative of @Guzzler 's words:
You can fill a person's mind with knowledge, but you cannot make them think or act.
In essence unless children are better educated (and can perhaps 'teach' their parent if need be) and children are trained about how to make healthy choices with food and being much more enquiring, as they develop, of the lies and half truths spouted by advertising in food, the planet is doomed to carrying excess weight and misery.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was pregnant the second time I had a doctor standing over me red in the face and spitting, threatening that I would be taken to hospital and fed properly if I did not abandon eating low carb foods. That was 1985.
That was the year I learned to lie to doctors and not react when they congratulated themselves at my expense.
The established 'knowledge' about food is so ponderous it will take a long time to alter, even in the face of illness, incapacity and even death.

Reactions: Aestire

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Resurgam, If the doctor was the one spitting chips, he or she has the problem with carbs, not you !!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
O come on - they haven't had any sugar, well maybe the cola has some sugar in it somewhere but not so much that you can see it and if it was loaded with sugar you would see it wouldn't you. People honestly do not know what is going on in their own digestive system and what nutrition is in the food they eat, they just follow the line they are told - the eatwell plate.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
They have forgotten or not been educated into reading food content labels, cross checking with other sources about hidden sugars and the 'accuracy' of some labelling. But when it comes to the Eatwell plate and similar versions in other countries are we talking about non-diabetes, those who are overweight or diabetic?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup. I'm not even pregnant and I just left a low carb fb group after too many people suggested to make oatmeal more palatable by adding banana and honey. 50 answers to the question of how to start liking oatmeal and no-one even wondered why you would want to eat the stuff in the first place on a low carb diet.

In a word..Lemmings..( or Sheep, to use two..;) )

agree with others that it's education and also line of weakest resistance.

I had NO clue about carbs..( now pretty ok about them.)
thought i was being healthy aiming for five a day, bananas, low fats.

i speak to others at work, almost like talking to a wall.
( all the young uns seem to think all these energy drinks are a healthy choice )

but then again, i was them once upon a time, sadly.:sorry:

And as long as some authorities state that 'X' is a good choice,
it will always be more palatable to others,
especially if that choice is easier to do in some ways, then option 'Y' for instance
even if the option 'X' is not a good choice at all..they WILL ( and probably pray ) think it is.

Change you ways a little, for little change or reward
OR
Change your way a lot, for benefits beyond Diabetes

There in lies the danger and the challenge

Reactions: Daphne917

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In a word..Lemmings..( or Sheep, to use two..;) )

agree with others that it's education and also line of weakest resistance.

I had NO clue about carbs..( now pretty ok about them.)
thought i was being healthy aiming for five a day, bananas, low fats.

i speak to others at work, almost like talking to a wall.
( all the young uns seem to think all these energy drinks are a healthy choice )

but then again, i was them once upon a time, sadly.:sorry:

And as long as some authorities state that 'X' is a good choice,
it will always be more palatable to others,
especially if that choice is easier to do in some ways, then option 'Y' for instance
even if the option 'X' is not a good choice at all..they WILL ( and probably pray ) think it is.

Change you ways a little, for little change or reward
OR
Change your way a lot, for benefits beyond Diabetes

There in lies the danger and the challenge
@jjraak I was the same and used to think my diet of low fat, low sugar, wholemeal everything with 5 portions of fruit was the healthy diet particularly if I wanted to prevent becoming diabetic which seems to be inherited in my mother’s side of the family. I used to have a banana each day along with apples, oranges, grapes, plums etc, jacket potatoes, wholemeal bread, pasta and rice and low fat yoghurts and semi skimmed milk!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is a bit scary because those ladies are creating a new generation who will also be susceptible to diaobesity because excess glucose and insulin in utero makes this more likely. To me its a public health issue (disease prevention) more than it is an issue of freedom of choice (what choice do those women really have if they are not being told how to control their bgs or have a junk food addiction?).
All you can really do is be a great example.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
second time I had a doctor standing over me red in the face and spitting, threatening that I would be taken to hospital and fed properly if I did not abandon eating low carb foods. That was 1985.

That was the year I learned to lie to doctors and not react when they congratulated themselves at my expense.

How very dystopian.
Shame to think while it's 35 years late, that doublethink is alive and well ...how sad

Bravo you for playing game so wisely
Shame it has come to that, though

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Through my experience and what I have researched and sifted through the usual amount of nonsense that is told to most patients who are trying to cope with endocrine conditions.
It is not doctrine that is given as guidelines, it is the training and ignorance of how our medical advice is given. Most GPs, especially through the turn of this century, didn't know that carbs are essentially the problem the reasons why most of us have developed conditions.
They just don't know, or have been told that the best advice is the eat well plate.
The tide is turning.
I would be dead, if I had continued to follow my first endocrinologists advice, never mind the number of GPs, dsns and NHS in general.
I'm not blaming them. They never knew what was happening to me.