Do I have to stop drinking soda drinks completely?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I would recommend diet/zero sugar cans of drinks. Never ones with sugar in. I only drink zero coke and limit myself to one aday. Ideally no fizzy drinks but diet ones are better but do limit how many you drink

Reactions: Lily1042

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What type of diabetes do you have?what else do you consume? Are you on meds?

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I did and it worked out well, my alertness from drinking far more water was rewarding.

I did learn to love soda water and a slice lemon

Reactions: jpscloud and briped

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stick to a low carb diet for any length of time you might find that the level of sweetening in commercially produced drinks is too much for your reeducated taste buds.
I used to drink the low carb fizzy flavoured drinks, but two years of low carbing and they make me retch.

M

Member496333

If you stick to a low carb diet for any length of time you might find that the level of sweetening in commercially produced drinks is too much for your reeducated taste buds.
I used to drink the low carb fizzy flavoured drinks, but two years of low carbing and they make me retch.

Likewise. Anything that tastes even remotely sweet now makes me heave.

At the weekends, of a Friday evening, shall we say, my fizzy indulgence is sparkling mineral water with the juice of half a freshly squeezed lemon. Invigorating and not in the least bit sweet tasting. Regarding artificial sweeteners, some say that they are associated with killing gut microbiome, and that they stimulate insulin release. I have no opinion on that but it may be worth considering investingation if one is so inclined :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not at all - get inventive with fizzy water! Add it to: strong cooled solution of fruit//herb tea or strong infusions of fresh herbs/spices such as lemon balm or fresh ginger; bung in lemon juice as mentioned above or lime, some cucumber and mint leaves, strawberry/raspberry halves etc. There are of course sugar-free squashes but as @Resurgam mentions, you may start to find these are too sweet. I vaguely remember a member adding cream to fizzy water but that may be a step too far at the moment..... (I might be totally wrong too:yuck:!)

Reactions: Lily1042

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This may sound Draconian but no fizzy drink other than plain soda water is good for you. There are health and environmental issues with every aspect of commercial fizzy drinks. Buy a Soda Stream (but not the syrups) and put the b......d's out of business. Carbonated water probably has issues as well but Im not aware of any at the moment.

Reactions: Ponchu

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
I drink Coke Zero sometimes. No intention of giving it up. Wouldn’t drink it all the time but why should you have to give it up if you like it. Everyone is different :)

Reactions: Freema

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably have one diet drink a day with my evening meal and tend to mix them up eg, Coke Zero, Pepsi Max, Fanta etc. I also drink a lot of water, tea and coffee and if I’m out I have a lime and soda or a half of Thatchers Haze cider which I appreciate is too carby for some people but I don’t have it very often and enjoy it.

Ponchu

They are unhealthy.

They’re not in the category of “it’s ok in moderation” type.

They’re unhealthy for us.

It’s your choice but there isn’t anything about them that is okay for us.

mtc2300

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has to do with kind of sweetener used. Some of the mere cheaper ones uses a sweetener, that actually is transformed into sugar in our bodies. I can't link the article here, as it's in Danish only, but it describes how some Diet sodas are really bad for fx type 1 and 2 diabetes.

Reactions: Ponchu and briped

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The downsides of fizz - If it uses sweetener some of these still affect the blood sugar of some diabetics. You’ll have to test and see which ones if any affect you as it’s individual. The same applies to sweetener affecting the gut biome for some. There’s some concerns about fizzy drinks and bone density. Obviously if it’s the full sugar version blood sugars will be affected.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm another vote for coke zero... the caveat being, don't drink them too close to bedtime as I think it still has a decent level of caffeine per serving and can lead to my having a restless night.

Reactions: lulu2554

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Until we get random insulin testers (someone please do this quickly), it is not possible to know if an insulin response is created by the zero cokes and similar. Even the smell of something sweet can have an effect on some.

I do the sparkling water thing, provides the "cut".

Ponchu

It has to do with kind of sweetener used. Some of the mere cheaper ones uses a sweetener, that actually is transformed into sugar in our bodies. I can't link the article here, as it's in Danish only, but it describes how some Diet sodas are really bad for fx type 1 and 2 diabetes.

I know we all struggle but I’d rather just hear it out plainly & cope w it.

My son began his life on pediatrician insistence of apple juice.

As adult his sugar addiction led to sports drinks.

Pepsi bought out his favorite.

Suffering from bouts of anxiety,

He’s off sugar drinks and finally dumped Rx

Doc put him on with no end Game in sight.

Anxiety resolved after years of drugs failing to help.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to only drink them (a zero sugar/diet one at that) if out and am designated driver, I don't mind soda with lemon slices but sometimes just want a different taste, luckily I don't have a reaction to the artificial sweeteners that others do, and only a couple (3 max) as I find I get bloated and uncomfortable. I am a tea addict so where possible I will opt for a cuppa anyday! :joyful:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Diet coke, the occasional Pepsi Max. I used to drink quite a lot of full sugar soft drinks but gave them up years ago for health reasons.
At work I drink water with a bit of no added sugar squash in it. Not much but enough to get the taste of the water (which I cant stomach) out of my mouth.