Not getting enough fat. Heard that before?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello ketoers,
I keep going under my fat and my protein ratios. So far I'm still 70 g short on fat, and 20g short of protein, while I have 1 whole g. of carbs to play around with. I'd say that calls for a low/no carb fat bomb, unless anybody's got a better idea?
I've been looking around for a recipe that matches my requirements, and contents of fridge.
I have coconut oil, unsalted as well as salted butter, coconut and almond flour, though probably too carby just today, and various spices.
What would you do if you were in my shoes? I checked pork rinds, but they don't quite fit the bill ... Any help and ideas much appreciated :)

Reactions: jpscloud
M

Member496333

Personally I don’t overthink it. Carbs are virtually nonexistent besides green vegetables. Protein I’m mindful of but don’t deprive myself of, and everything else is fat. I eat when I’m hungry and stop when I’m not. Works for me, but others prefer a more scientific approach with macro calculators and all that jazz :D

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
but others prefer a more scientific approach with macro calculators and all that jazz :D
I'm one of them, but that's because I've been trying to eat very low carb/keto for ages without losing any weight to speak of, so thinking I must be doing something wrong I started logging all foods etc. etc. It's helped me too, but as a 58 year old woman I can feel that it has got a lot harder to lose weight. I truly hate logging, but yesterday I had only 400 cals and 20 g fat and that's def underdoing it, and won't cause any weight loss, I know from experience. So I thought that today I'd go by the book :) My BG levels are really good, though, and that's what I prioritise.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't go by numbers, I go by hunger and satiety, and an absent minded forgetting to eat.
I find the more number crunching I do, the more trapped I feel.
I have done the calorie counting and the macro counting ad nauseum, and the only time I will start again is if I am put of medication that requires it.

So in your place, I would go:
- am I hungry? If yes, then eat. If no, then go and do something that doesn't involve eating.
- if I want to eat, I work out whether I want just fat (hot drink with cream or butter in it), or protein and fat (meat or cheese) or carbs and fat (70+% choc).
- then I eat enough of them to stop me feeling hungry, and
- forget about food for a good long while

I found fat bombs and LC baking were fun, but just an excuse to eat stuff I didn't need. So I stopped bothering with them... :)

Edited to add:
Just seen your last post @briped
And I am kind of wondering if you got through your carb quota in such a low amount of calories, then I would suggest you shift things round a bit. Eat plenty or protein/fat, to satiety, BEFORE you eat the carbs. Then see if you still want them... hope that helps.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I don't go by numbers, I go by hunger and satiety, and an absent minded forgetting to eat.
I find the more number crunching I do, the more trapped I feel.
I have done the calorie counting and the macro counting ad nauseum, and the only time I will start again is if I am put of medication that requires it.

So in your place, I would go:
- am I hungry? If yes, then eat. If no, then go and do something that doesn't involve eating.
- if I want to eat, I work out whether I want just fat (hot drink with cream or butter in it), or protein and fat (meat or cheese) or carbs and fat (70+% choc).
- then I eat enough of them to stop me feeling hungry, and
- forget about food for a good long while

I found fat bombs and LC baking were fun, but just an excuse to eat stuff I didn't need. So I stopped bothering with them... :)

Edited to add:
Just seen your last post @briped
And I am kind of wondering if you got through your carb quota in such a low amount of calories, then I would suggest you shift things round a bit. Eat plenty or protein/fat, to satiety, BEFORE you eat the carbs. Then see if you still want them... hope that helps.

Yup, I find that if I eat my steak first (its soooo hard ;)) then I tend to leave some of the veggies. Protein seems to fill me more than fat at times.

M

Member496333

I'm one of them, but that's because I've been trying to eat very low carb/keto for ages without losing any weight to speak of, so thinking I must be doing something wrong I started logging all foods etc. etc. It's helped me too, but as a 58 year old woman I can feel that it has got a lot harder to lose weight. I truly hate logging, but yesterday I had only 400 cals and 20 g fat and that's def underdoing it, and won't cause any weight loss, I know from experience. So I thought that today I'd go by the book :) My BG levels are really good, though, and that's what I prioritise.

Assuming that’s not you in your avatar, are you very overweight? It’s worth keeping in mind that we all have a different biological optimum - the weight at which we remain when our body is in homeostasis - controlled by the endocrine system. It could just be that you are naturally heavy. In the same way I am naturally light.

I’m rambling though and probably not being especially helpful. Others will have far better knowledge of managing macros.

Reactions: jpscloud and briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Thanks Brunneria. That's what I tend to do too, and that's why I ended up having only about 400 cals yesterday. I know that isn't good for the metabolism. I regard all this logging as a learning period. I hope it'll give me an idea of what and how much I should eat and still lose weight. I need to get into a good rhythm, and then I can stop all this logging. Also I find that it helps me take an interest in Low Carb cooking, which is good as living on pork scratchings and almonds only isn't. There's quite a bit to shed yet (BMI 33). That's why I'm a bit obsessed just now :)
I would too. Can't really be bothered. Some time last summer I did try the 'oopsies', but they were far too eggy for me. If I want eggs I'll boil or scramble them. Often I even go hungry because I can't be bothered to find something sensible to eat. Not good. I can even be hungry and have 3 chicken drumsticks all ready to eat in front of me. I'll eat one of them, and decide I don't feel like having the other two.
Seriously, most of the time I wish humans didn't have to eat at all. Stupid idea. Who invented that?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I received an alert to this today (I follow LC Down Under). I haven't watched it yet, but thought it could be useful to this discussion:

Hopefully I might find an hour tomorrow to watch him.

Reactions: jpscloud and Ponchu

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
It could just be that you are naturally heavy.
Oh I am. I'm one of those people who're heavier than they look. I am obese at a BMI of 33, but I think my bones are probably 73% of my weight :D
About 12 years ago I'd lost a lot of weight, and I was told that I was skinny enough, but really I was still officially slightly overweight.

Last edited:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I received an alert to this today (I follow LC Down Under). I haven't watched it yet, but thought it could be useful to this discussion:

Hopefully I might find an hour tomorrow to watch him.
Thank you. I'll watch it tomorrow with you :)

Reactions: jpscloud and Ponchu

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I am. I'm one of those people who're heavier than they look. I am obese at a BMI of 33, but I think my bones are probably 73% of my weight :D
About 12 years ago I'd lost a lot of weight, and I was told that I was skinny enough, but really I was still officially slightly overweight.
my daughter runs marathons. She is 4' 11" tall and weighs 9 stones 10lbs and is technically overweight with a BMI of around 29. Her doctor laughs at BMI. She is very lean with big muscles.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
In my world, at the moment, we might need to watch it in little "episodes". :):)
That wouldn't work for me, I'm afraid. I'm a binge watcher :D I'll be hardcore and watch it all in one go.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
She is very lean with big muscles.
Trust me. I'm not. Actually, my avatar is a pic of a friends little ornament. I chose it for my avatar as an inspiration as I totally hate it, and hope that one day I can change it. That day is when it no longer reminds me of myself.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Have you thought about intermittent fasting to compliment your diet?
Yes, I'm doing that. I normally don't eat between 8pm and 2pm, but it looks as if I'm in the middle of a spontaneous 24 hour fast now. Again those chicken drumsticks that seem to have moved permanently into my fridge. Had a rather problematic tummy all afternoon, and don't really want to risk extending it into a night show, but it's ok. Had a decent lunch.

M

Member496333

Well best of luck with it all. Hopefully you’ll find your groove.

The important thing really is to eat whole meals to full satisfaction, ideally no snacking in between. As you correctly identified - calorie restriction - either intentional or otherwise, probably isn’t optimal as it can slow down the basal metabolism. Fasting does not do this.

Also, insulin will block fat burning and promote fat storage, so the fewer times you eat (anyhing), the better you will become at burning off all that stored fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
The important thing really is to eat whole meals to full satisfaction, ideally no snacking in between.
Thanks Jim. I always enjoy reading your replies.
I rarely eat till fullness. I eat till I feel I should be 'full enough' and I only feel satiated about half an hour after a meal, which makes it guesswork. If I still feel hungry I might eat 25 or even 50g of almonds, so I wonder if half an hour after a meal is snacking? Or is it part of the meal, and unlikely to set my insulin going once again?

M

Member496333

Thanks Jim. I always enjoy reading your replies.
I rarely eat till fullness. I eat till I feel I should be 'full enough' and I only feel satiated about half an hour after a meal, which makes it guesswork. If I still feel hungry I might eat 25 or even 50g of almonds, so I wonder if half an hour after a meal is snacking? Or is it part of the meal, and unlikely to set my insulin going once again?

Eat until you’re satisfied in one sitting. More fat if necessary. Also eat slowly and keep sipping water. That should give your body time to start sending out leptin - a primary satiety hormone.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Eat until you’re satisfied in one sitting. More fat if necessary. Also eat slowly and keep sipping water. That should give your body time to start sending out leptin - a primary satiety hormone.
Thanks Jim. I often wondered, but never thought to ask till now :)