What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FBG an even 7 this morning. Snow predicted by the weathermen, expected by the schools and other local government agencies (which are closed for it), and was hoped for by me until I turned on the TV just now to see that we've got 9 degrees outside. Bit warm for snow! Oh, well.

I'm used to hearing hurricanes being given people names, but when people start giving "winter storms" names like Jayden, I just shrug and turn away.

"Where Eagles Dare" is on, no commercials! Lots of snow there. And Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton!!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plea for help from those who are ITK. I watched the Phinney Q and A which at first glance seemed like motherhood and apple pie and had this lovely pie chart.
SUKcOq53GnLz5Em9xZQlBrzy7pRHFUVzetpPYHqX95LB1gbbt7Xaa4oiy9F-MpfxOndz0QUbNb4xMyRlhznD6bTZ9RCIzG7Sr4Ykheudx3oWYVuVCitECJ_Ho0tM0-QApVJ70JVS

Trouble is, it is not clear to me if this is how each meal should look or each day? 2ndly, there is no attempt to get to the granular level i.e. what actually goes on a plate or in a bowl? 3rd issue is how I could make such a diet tolerable since I can't possibly see how I will find it enjoyable. This is a genuine plea as from what I can see/glean those members doing this/getting very close have lowest fbg/A!C. (Yes, my lab tests come back saying normal for A1C but I want better if I can sensibly manage it.)

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all

5.3 this morning. We are still digging out snow, over 10" here since yesterday (the heaviest in over a decade). I had plans to go shopping buy my street still isn't passable. It's becoming bitterly cold here as well because of the polar vortex (a pattern where cold air from the north pole shifts down). There are predicting the possible breaking of cold records. :(

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all

5.3 this morning. We are still digging out snow, over 10" here since yesterday (the heaviest in over a decade). I had plans to go shopping buy my street still isn't passable. It's becoming bitterly cold here as well because of the polar vortex (a pattern where cold air from the north pole shifts down). There are predicting the possible breaking of cold records. :(
Blimey C I hope you have some food in...sounds like a nightmare...we have real difficulty coping with an inch or two of snow here.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I switched over to "Magnum" for an episode where he has just been hired on at a cattle ranch to stop rustlers. But now the KittenCat is calling me to come back to bed. ^. .^
Don’t like magnum. I used to. Then I caught diabetes from a bag of sweets and now it’s too many carbs to watch.

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Orson. Hope all is well! 10 year old Glenmorangie is what I usually drink (if/when I have a drink). It appears that a small glass of the liquid with plenty of ice, works very well with my BG levels.. In fact I may have a class of it as soon as I finish work tonight! Cheers! Best wishes. Theo.

Reactions: geefull and Prem51

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Plea for help from those who are ITK. I watched the Phinney Q and A which at first glance seemed like motherhood and apple pie and had this lovely pie chart.
SUKcOq53GnLz5Em9xZQlBrzy7pRHFUVzetpPYHqX95LB1gbbt7Xaa4oiy9F-MpfxOndz0QUbNb4xMyRlhznD6bTZ9RCIzG7Sr4Ykheudx3oWYVuVCitECJ_Ho0tM0-QApVJ70JVS

Trouble is, it is not clear to me if this is how each meal should look or each day? 2ndly, there is no attempt to get to the granular level i.e. what actually goes on a plate or in a bowl? 3rd issue is how I could make such a diet tolerable since I can't possibly see how I will find it enjoyable. This is a genuine plea as from what I can see/glean those members doing this/getting very close have lowest fbg/A!C. (Yes, my lab tests come back saying normal for A1C but I want better if I can sensibly manage it.)
Hi Ian, I don’t have any ITK and not sure about what’s out there in lala land but you might like to look here:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/06/26/what-is-a-well-formulated-ketogenic-diet/

There is also this that you can play with. I found it last week. It gives some idea of whats on a plate within certain limits:

https://www.eatthismuch.com/

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey C I hope you have some food in...sounds like a nightmare...we have real difficulty coping with an inch or two of snow here.

Yes, we are well stocked. My husband (who is off work) insisted on going out to visit his mom but he took public transit as our street is still impassable. (They plow the main roads first).

I see our local serial killer plead guilty to 8 counts of murder this morning, sparing the public an expense of a lengthy trial.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Hi Orson. Hope all is well! 10 year old Glenmorangie is what I usually drink (if/when I have a drink). It appears that a small glass of the liquid with plenty of ice, works very well with my BG levels.. In fact I may have a class of it as soon as I finish work tonight! Cheers! Best wishes. Theo.
I have some "remnants" left over from burns night. your post has inspired me to find out how much and make the most of it. Cheers..

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian, I don’t have any ITK and not sure about what’s out there in lala land but you might like to look here:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/06/26/what-is-a-well-formulated-ketogenic-diet/

There is also this that you can play with. I found it last week. It gives some idea of whats on a plate within certain limits:

https://www.eatthismuch.com/
Thanks for that @dunelm Plugged details into the 2nd link and of the 2 meals suggested 1 was totally off limits for me - almond butter and almonds. I know there are alternatives but if that is the type of meal plan I have no chance - just as I expected:arghh::arghh::arghh: At least you didn't suggest DD so thanks for that and anyone thinking I could look there please don't

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 with an added bonus of 31 on my home hba1c test! Normally accurate within 4 points so I'm happy as a reflection of maintaining LCHF throughout Xmas period. Lots of festivities but good choices made and still had cracking meals and celebrations. I love LCHF.

PPG meeting tonight. Looking forward to that.

Nearly hump day folks.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Good morning all

May I suggest that you do not at any cost watch the film the day after tomorrow.:)

Roulis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some "remnants" left over from burns night. your post has inspired me to find out how much and make the most of it. Cheers..
Hi Orson. From my own personal experiences Only, and of course assuming that my measurements are accurate, every time that I have had a small to medium amount of scotch the evening before, I've woke up the morning after with below the 6 BG level., and this effect appears to be consistent with me. Please note though, that this is my personal experience and I have no evidence at this stage to confirm that sipping a bit of scotch the evening before has any positive or negative effect on the dawn phenomenon. I do enjoy it though, with a piece or 2 of 3 year old Davidstow Vintage Cheddar! I am off home now, finished work and it has just started to snow!! Have a good evening, Best Wishes. Theo

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.5 with an added bonus of 31 on my home hba1c test! Normally accurate within 4 points so I'm happy as a reflection of maintaining LCHF throughout Xmas period. Lots of festivities but good choices made and still had cracking meals and celebrations. I love LCHF.

PPG meeting tonight. Looking forward to that.

Nearly hump day folks.
I'm afraid to ask...hump day?

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 looks like your IF is working - next step is not to lose more weight or be hungry!

I am really hungry, this isn’t sustainable for me, I started to feel quite grotty this afternoon, but to be fair that could have been due to too much coffee!
I’m going to try a narrow eating window like your 3 small meals in 8hr or 2 medium meals.
It’s never boring, this condition is it?

Reactions: HarryBeau