Book Corner.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found in the 90's I read a lot of horror books. My tastes changed over the years and I found the horror section to be very samey so I started reading other books. Now coming up to 50 I have found I read different books again but as I bought this one for my granddaughter's scout fundraiser I decided to read it. I guess it's OK but I'm not sure yet if I have read it before hee hee.
It will keep me going for a few days until I decide to pick something else up. I've just spent £20 on 9 books from an online second hand bookstore so I'm sure they will soon be calling my name.

Stephen King - I tried 22:11:63 that was pretty good

Reactions: Bjbeck52

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found in the 90's I read a lot of horror books. My tastes changed over the years and I found the horror section to be very samey so I started reading other books. Now coming up to 50 I have found I read different books again but as I bought this one for my granddaughter's scout fundraiser I decided to read it. I guess it's OK but I'm not sure yet if I have read it before hee hee.

How many times have I done that with library books! :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read a series of books based around a character called Emma Harte. Realised I'd read the first couple back when I was young and had nothing else to do :bookworm:

A Woman of Substance, et al.? I remember when that book first came out. I started my first job as a librarian the next year and we paid attention to all the new books coming out.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A Woman of Substance, et al.? I remember when that book first came out. I started my first job as a librarian the next year and we paid attention to all the new books coming out.

oh yes. Read the whole series now so looking through other books I have bought. Have to pick a book up from the library in next couple of days so the Dean Koontz will have to wait

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Naughty me bought another 15 books online last night. I'm going to have to take over my granddaughter's alcove in her bedroom and make some shelves. (sorry that should read - hubby will)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the middle of the Dean Koontz book I've read a book from the library called The Little House by Philippa Gregory. Not her usual style of books ie historical novels but I enjoyed it

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm going through a general Vietnam War phase right now, documentaries, books, etc. So, one of the books I'm reading is "If I Die In A Combat Zone" by Tim O'Brien, an account of his time there ('69-70) in the US Army, written while the war is still on, in 1973. Brutal, sad, revealing, funny, horrific, but very good.

Hi, if you haven’t already read it, check out Dispatches by Michael Herr, highly recommended.
I’ve also read “If I die in a combat zone”. Great book. I went through a Vietnam War reading phase too.
I went through my Second World War phase again recently, but back doing WW1 with my son at the moment...

Reactions: Bjbeck52

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What WW1 books can you recommend? I was looking for some last summer but for some reason couldn't find any I could really get into. I did like the novel In the Company of Eagles that I read decades ago.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reading Heads You Win by Jeffrey Archer. Half way through - it's OK but something seems to be missing

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm reading John Grisham's Camino Island. Booksellers, rare books, sophisticated book thieves, in a well-written adventure. :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just ordered 'The Tattooist' about the concentration camp numberer and 'This is Going to Hurt' diary of a junior doctor. Managed to get both s/h and hardback so am chuffed.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone have any good second hand booksites they use?

I usually use World of Books but often they dont have the book I want.

Any recommendations?

Reactions: SaskiaKC

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What WW1 books can you recommend? I was looking for some last summer but for some reason couldn't find any I could really get into. I did like the novel In the Company of Eagles that I read decades ago.

It seems that there are many more books on the Second World War than on the First.
I’ll send you two novels which you may have already read or seen the films. And I’ll get back to you later with other titles as I have a terrible memory so I’ll have to look them up. I’m reading World War One stuff at the moment that is suitable for kids, as there is a lot around for them starting at a very young age too. So since my son was small I’ve been reading books (novels, history and poetry ) with him, he’s now 12 years old and loves history.
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Road Back
both by Erich Maria Remarque
The first book and it’s sequel were both made into films.
The first was directed by Delbert Mann with Donald Pleasence and Ian Holm released in 1979
I haven’t seen The Road Back but would like to, it was released in 1937 and was directed by James Whale.
Both books are very good. The Road Back tells the story after the armistice, personally I preferred it. A bit like later books of veterans returning home to America after the Vietnam War, these soldiers came home feeling disillusioned with the purpose of the war, they suffered feelings of alienation from their friends. These veterans came back to a Germany and personal lives that had been enormously changed while they had been away. It is both thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
I hope you enjoy them.
I’ll be back soon with an update.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems that there are many more books on the Second World War than on the First.
I’ll send you two novels which you may have already read or seen the films. And I’ll get back to you later with other titles as I have a terrible memory so I’ll have to look them up. I’m reading World War One stuff at the moment that is suitable for kids, as there is a lot around for them starting at a very young age too. So since my son was small I’ve been reading books (novels, history and poetry ) with him, he’s now 12 years old and loves history.
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Road Back
both by Erich Maria Remarque
The first book and it’s sequel were both made into films.
The first was directed by Delbert Mann with Donald Pleasence and Ian Holm released in 1979
I haven’t seen The Road Back but would like to, it was released in 1937 and was directed by James Whale.
Both books are very good. The Road Back tells the story after the armistice, personally I preferred it. A bit like later books of veterans returning home to America after the Vietnam War, these soldiers came home feeling disillusioned with the purpose of the war, they suffered feelings of alienation from their friends. These veterans came back to a Germany and personal lives that had been enormously changed while they had been away. It is both thought-provoking and heartbreaking.
I hope you enjoy them.
I’ll be back soon with an update.

Just come across on the bookshelf, August 1914 by Solzhenitsyn. From blurb on the back cover, “August 1914 is his greatest book, a vast , panoramic epic of war, it’s heroism and tragic bearing on the destiny of a nation.”

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Any recommendations?

https://www.alibris.co.uk/?ds_rl=12...c&utm_source=Google&utm_term=alibris_uk_Exact

https://www.amazon.co.uk/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/

NB: I am in the US but the above seem to be the UK equivalents of some I would try. I love Alibris -- good prices and quick shipping; it is like a book Amazon but with better prices.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.

Any recommendations?

ABE Books has a large selection of used books. Some have to come from the States and the search function can be a little user unfreindly but if you are searching for a particular book (I bought a few on History that were not available here) then it is worth having a look.

Reactions: wolfie11969