Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Astra Zeneca state that its product Forxiga information is indicated for Type 2 diabetes and is contra-indicated for use in Type 1 diabetes as DKA is a known side-effect of Forxiga.
The other risk could be if someone diagnosed as Type 2 is actually LADA and is prescribed Forxiga. They might be unaware of being risk of DKA. As a person with undiagnosed LADA approaches a state of absolute insulin deficiency they face similar issues with Forxiga as someone with Type 1 diabetes.
Maybe people might mix up type 2 and LADA and think that person has two diabetes conditions instead of one??

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Could my life get any worse at the minute someone has tried to break into my house they have drilled the locks on my patio doors but as they have come through my alarm as gone off police reckon they have been after tommys car keys im having no luck whatsoever lately bgs have gone through the roof what else could possibly go wrong

Lovely Karen

Ruddy awful for you sweetie
You have had the most stinking rotten time lately words from me and I can’t contain my anger towards the scum who attempted the break in. I hope the police catch them and punish them severely.

Too soft on crime in this country way too soft in fact

Take it steady Karen were all here if you need us xx

Reactions: karen8967

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks everyone forensics have just been took all kinds of finger prints including our own for elimination purposes sons gone to get new locks and dead bolts for me its the shock more than anything and the knot in your stomach xx bgs still rising cant stomach food at the minute should i do a correction dose as never been stressed like this with bgs going so high up to 13.6 form 5.8 when i went to bed x

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @karen8967 yeah definitely do a correction dose and as @Juicyj has said very regular testing. Try and do something to take your mind of it a bit (that's easier said than done) x

Reactions: karen8967

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@kitedoc did you see this link https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...use-in-treating-type-1-diabetes-94839813.html highlighted by @smc4761 yesterday which started this conversation.
It looks as if the advice around Forxiga may be changing.
Thank you @helensaramay, I have not seen that. On what we know now and what was reported in the trials I would personally not be touching it. And what does 'inadequately controlled' mean ? That is a pretty vague term, am I inadequately controlled because I cannot stop eating Nutella,? or because my dietitian will not prescribe a low carb diet because her registering authority will de-register her if she does? , or is my doctor not up to date on what is the best insulin regime for me or is it that my HBA1C is not so crash hot and nobody cares so add another drug???
Cynically it sounds like somebody trying to increase sales but not without some risk. Big Pharma tries to rule again. But I hope the NHS is more sensible than its European counterparts !!!

Reactions: Knikki

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if i could maybe throw in my tuppence worth on the Forxiga tablets. My wife was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 years ago and was prescibed tablets only. She was given Metformin and ad changed to another tablet as this was having other issues with her body. She has always been a little overweight, aged about 50 when diagnosed, 5ft 7 and 14 stone or thereabouts which she had been for about 30 years.

Since moving to Forxiga about 3 years ago, she has lost almost 3 stone in weight and her Hba1C has improved by about 30%. One of the possible side effects of tablet was increased/excessive urination, but she has never suffered this.

It would seem that Forxiga may be able to help those who are overweight and used in conjunction with insulin may help improve HBa1C

Reactions: porl69

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Karen, when you get to the bottom of the week’s pit start scrabbling up again - it’s been beyond horrible for you! If the old wives’ tales are anything to go by then you’ve had your 3 bad things in a row now so the only way is up. I can imagine how totally awful your house being broken into was; every time him indoors is away I wake at the slightest sound, but the real thing is dreadful. Not at all surprised your blood sugars rose, just surprised they didn’t go any higher.
Do you have a dog? Do you like dogs? I used to have the dog in the bedroom with me when we had one and him indoors was away. This was in a different country: the dog had a really terrifying bark, snarl and growl, despite really being a frightened softie, and ours was the only house in the row that wasn’t burgled.
Hug, hug, hug.

Reactions: Cumberland
K

Knikki

Thank you @helensaramay, I have not seen that. On what we know now and what was reported in the trials I would personally not be touching it. And what does 'inadequately controlled' mean ? That is a pretty vague term, am I inadequately controlled because I cannot stop eating Nutella,? or because my dietitian will not prescribe a low carb diet because her registering authority will de-register her if she does? , or is my doctor not up to date on what is the best insulin regime for me or is it that my HBA1C is not so crash hot and nobody cares so add another drug???
Cynically it sounds like somebody trying to increase sales but not without some risk. Big Pharma tries to rule again. But I hope the NHS is more sensible than its European counterparts !!!

You have a fair point there @kitedoc but I do not think the article referenced tells the whole story and if you add in what I found:

Just out of interest on the Forxiga tablets the main aim is along the following:

it has recently been approved by the EU as a treatment (in addition to insulin) for type 1s with BMI ≥ 27 kg/m2, when insulin alone does not provide adequate glycemic control despite optimal insulin therapy

Plus what @smc4761 said as well it sort of makes sense for some but I do not think it will be rolled out for all T1D's

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Could my life get any worse at the minute someone has tried to break into my house they have drilled the locks on my patio doors but as they have come through my alarm as gone off police reckon they have been after tommys car keys im having no luck whatsoever lately bgs have gone through the roof what else could possibly go wrong
Really sorry to hear that, Karen, a nasty shock for you. Just glad they did get scared off.

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Question from an uninitiated non pump user:

When changing the basal for the above do you change the time slot prior to the hypo event and if so 10mins, 30mins, a n hour or 2 before the event? how do you work that out?
My basal tends to change my BG with an hour's lag.

In other news, I can't believe no-one's mentioned the great King Tubby in reference to dub. But the Propellerheads' drummer was one of the most impressive I've ever witnessed.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning Wednesday guys :) Awoke on a 6.4 this morning so a top banana to that :) and a great start because, I am going back to a job I did last summer and I have another one in the pipeline, so hoping to combine them both at some point. Buses have all changed :wideyed: to the location and they don't stop at the big supermarket anymore, so as I don't know the area well for walking, I have had to book a taxi.
Promoting Lindt chocolate, front of store, so a big event today.
Wishing you all a safe and a happy day :)

K

Knikki

Morning.

@Colin of Kent King Tubby? yes have come across him while falling down the YouTube rabbit hole and yep great tunes.:headphone:

@Robinredbreast Good luck with the job, and send some Lindt Chocs over here I love em :joyful:

@karen8967 Glad everything is back to some sort of normalness (no idea if that is a word but works for me) :)

Oh blood things :rolleyes: you want to know about that...….:cool: woke up low 4's now sat here mid 4's and not had coffee yet :cat:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all, off to Bournemouth to work for 2 days. Think my honeymoon is coming to an end. Waking for the last week 7 to 9

Reactions: porl69