Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi everyone, I’ve mentioned before I’m still waiting on a diagnosis to see if I have diabetes or not, got to go for another blood test....however I’m checking my blood sugar levels before and after meals, workouts and fasting....

So when I woke up today my fasting glucose levels were 7.2, this is the lowest it’s been so far....so with waking up I ate a small banana half an hour before a workout, I did a 30 HIIT workout and the. Half an hour after I tested my glucose levels which rises to 12.0....is this normal and okay to rise that much?? I though exercise increases insulin sensitivity.

Should I be eating before a workout or not? (Diabetic or non diabetic)

Does a non diabetic glucose rise after a workout?
Does it eventually stop rising when you are more consistent with exercise?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 I wouldn't touch a banana. Fasting readings first thing can be caused by the dawn phenomenon, liver dumps to help us get started in the mornings.

Exercise is different for all of us. We test before we eat and then 2 hours after the first bite. We are looking for a rise of no more than 2. 12 is too high but it depends on a few things.

If you turn out to be diabetic or pre-diabetic you can change your diet to control it or in some cases put it into remission.

Can you tell us everything you ate yesterday please.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I cant say because, after exercise, mine goes down...

But I note the small banana ...full of sugar..which may account for a spike even after exercise ?.

D

Deleted Account

When we exercise, there are two diabetes related things which happen to our bodies
- our liver releases glucose
- our muscles burn sugar with less insulin (I think of this as insulin becomes more efficient)

Typically, the first happens before the second and, for most, stop start exercise (such as HIIT) may not have sufficient time of constant exercise for the second to happen. Furthermore, things like stress raises our BG and weights, climbing, HIIT may cause some stress.
This is all dependent on how fit you are at the exercise you are doing and our starting BG (any exercise at a high BG is going to be stressful to our body). So we are all different at different exercises for different lengths of time with different starting BG and even at different times of the day.

However, due to the first reaction (liver releasing glucose), our liver supplies need to be topped up. As a result, for the next 24 to 48 hours after exercise, it is common to have a lower BG.

I do a number of different exercises
- 30 minute spin class causes my BG to fall
- 30 minutes running on the treadmill causes my BG to fall
- 30 minutes running on the road causes my BG to rise
- weights cause my BG to rise
- climbing causes my BG to rise

Over time you will work out what happens for you (although this may change if you become fitter) and come up with mechanisms to cope with this such as whether to eat beforehand or not, what time of day is best for you, and, if you take insulin, whether to adjust your insulin dose.

M

Member496333

High intensity training will put you over the aerobic threshold into anaerobic, which is going to stimulate more glucose production. Also bananas are full of sugar.

Reactions: Muneeb

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 I wouldn't touch a banana. Fasting readings first thing can be caused by the dawn phenomenon, liver dumps to help us get started in the mornings.

Exercise is different for all of us. We test before we eat and then 2 hours after the first bite. We are looking for a rise of no more than 2. 12 is too high but it depends on a few things.

If you turn out to be diabetic or pre-diabetic you can change your diet to control it or in some cases put it into remission.

Can you tell us everything you ate yesterday please.

Breakfast : strawberries, almond milk yoghurt and apple
Lunch: homemade vegetable soup with a small whole meal roll
Dinner: homemade curry (tomato, garlic,onion,pepper,sweet potatoe, chickpea, mixed beans), with a cup of brown basmati rice and caulk flower rice (half a cup of each)
Snacks: carrot sticks and hummus. 2 squares of dark chocolate...1 bag of french fries (74 calories)

My blood sugar level seem to rise up to 2 numbers.

It may have been the banana that spiked my blood sugar so high this morning with my workouts.....but overtime these workouts will benefit my glucose levels eventually? I lost 5 pounds last week doing it and noticed my glucose levels have been going down

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast : strawberries, almond milk yoghurt and apple
Lunch: homemade vegetable soup with a small whole meal roll
Dinner: homemade curry (tomato, garlic,onion,pepper,sweet potatoe, chickpea, mixed beans), with a cup of brown basmati rice and caulk flower rice (half a cup of each)
Snacks: carrot sticks and hummus. 2 squares of dark chocolate...1 bag of french fries (74 calories)

My blood sugar level seem to rise up to 2 numbers.

It may have been the banana that spiked my blood sugar so high this morning with my workouts.....but overtime these workouts will benefit my glucose levels eventually? I lost 5 pounds last week doing it and noticed my glucose levels have been going down
If you turn out to be diabetic or pre-diabetic, the apple should go also the whole meal roll, sweet potato can be dodgy, rice is out, hummus also dodgy, bag of fries, no.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you turn out to be diabetic or pre-diabetic, the apple should go also the whole meal roll, sweet potato can be dodgy, rice is out, hummus also dodgy, bag of fries, no.

When I last saw my doctor, these were the food she told me to switch to...I do slimming world so I eat everything in moderation and it’s not causing high spikes after eating (doesn’t go up more that 2m/mol)....I’m also losing weight well since doing slimming world, I think my weight is the main reason for causing high blood sugar levels)

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I last saw my doctor, these were the food she told me to switch to...I do slimming world so I eat everything in moderation and it’s not causing high spikes after eating (doesn’t go up more that 2m/mol)....I’m also losing weight well since doing slimming world, I think my weight is the main reason for causing high blood sugar levels)
I also don’t eat meat or dairy

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many people can lose weight at WW or SW but they tend to put it all back on. LCHF is a way of life for diabetics and is sustainable after we have reached our target weight.

Reactions: Keesha

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many people can lose weight at WW or SW but they tend to put it all back on. LCHF is a way of life for diabetics and is sustainable after we have reached our target weight.

I have looked into all aspects of lchf and my diet, I used to eat a lot of dairy processed foods and have made better choices since starting slimming world....my cousin did slimming world 10 years ago and lost 7 stone and to this day she has not put it on and has maintained her weight....I looked up that a high fibre low fat diet is also good for diabetes, and I feel this is working at the moment, I know of it doesn’t than I will change up my diet to see what works for me

D

Deleted Account

If the OP find out they have diabetes, they may want to review this things with regard to what impact they have on their BG.
I believe we are all different and what may work best for one person (e.g. cutting out all higher carb foods) may have other impacts (e.g. lifestyle balance) for others. Suggesting food types "should go", "is out", "no" may not be helpful to everyone.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have looked into all aspects of lchf and my diet, I used to eat a lot of dairy processed foods and have made better choices since starting slimming world....my cousin did slimming world 10 years ago and lost 7 stone and to this day she has not put it on and has maintained her weight....I looked up that a high fibre low fat diet is also good for diabetes, and I feel this is working at the moment, I know of it doesn’t than I will change up my diet to see what works for me
Absolutely! When I started my HbA1c was very high. I found from using my meter that LCHF was not radical enough so chose to go keto, less than 20 carbs per day. Since stabilising, I am able to add in a few more carbs on occasion, but cannot sustain it. I describe my diet as LCHF/keto.

We have to find what works for us as individuals. Apples have fructose which can only be used by the liver, mine is working hard enough as it is.

Reactions: Mollyc1995