Planning a fast why not get some support and record your achievements?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A few of us myself, @Chook and @Goonergal were wondering if anyone thinking about fasting for any period of time would like to post about it, find others who may be considering it, find support and record any changes or benefits or difficulties here?
I’ll kick this thread off by telling you about my planned fast for next week. I’ve fasted before over my past 18 months period of keto eating with regular 23 hour fasts with one meal a day. I also did this every day for a month in the beginning very easily as was very overweight at the time - but now do it less frequently as I seem to find it difficult now. I’ve been nervous about doing a longer fast than 23 hours as I am now at the lower end of my ideal weight but have been reading about benefits of fasting for longer periods including autophagy and so want to give it a go. I also feel I’d like to have achieved missing dinner at least once in my life - when not poorly!
So my plans are to undertake my first 48 hour fast I’ll eat an early dinner on Tuesday and then not eat until Thursday early evening. I’ll record starting and finishing weight and how my bgs and ketones go as I normally record these things. I usually only record ketones every Friday - I’ve got a caresensduo ketones meter - which I normally use one day a week but will use more over the fast.
Anyone like to join in for mutual support or does anyone want to log their own fasting plans?

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm perhaps a little ashamed not to go the whole hog, but I can restrict myself to a bullet resistant coffee Wednesday and Thursday morning with water for the rest of the day.

If I'm feeling particularly hard core I might do Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday with only the BRC in the morning as I need to get a few pounds off after the easy first 4.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm perhaps a little ashamed not to go the whole hog, but I can restrict myself to a bullet resistant coffee Wednesday and Thursday morning with water for the rest of the day.

If I'm feeling particularly hard core I might do Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday with only the BRC in the morning as I need to get a few pounds off after the easy first 4.
Would be brilliant - see how you feel and join in if you’d like no pressure. I’m planning mainly green tea with peppermint and water plus a couple of coffees with a small amount of cream if I need to - will see how I feel. Couldn’t do water only as need some hot drinks. Believe that green tea can encourage autophagy.
think @Goonergal is planning some cream in a few of her teas as needed?

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I can't do next week (on staycation which definitely includes food) but will definitely be cheering from the sidelines.

I'm planning a five day fast the following week as i enjoyed the four day fast I did last week (although maybe 'enjoyed ' is not quite the right word). Successful is more appropriate.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't do next week (on staycation which definitely includes food) but will definitely be cheering from the sidelines.

I'm planning a five day fast the following week as i enjoyed the four day fast I did last week (although maybe 'enjoyed ' is not quite the right word). Successful is more appropriate.
Look forward to hearing about your longer fast the week after next. I was inspired by how well you did last week and the difference it made to your general health. Enjoy your staycation next week.

Reactions: jpscloud

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in - fasting has become my new favourite thing to do for some insane reason. Might help me shift my last pound I need to lose! I’ll do a water and black coffee fast this time round

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in too! I'll try to do the 48 hours with you - I'll start on Tuesday at 5.30pm and finish on Thursday. I'll have cream in coffee, so not strictly fasting but good enough for the benefits at my size. Hope it goes as well as my 3 day fast - I'm looking forward to it!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe one day, I’ll brave a fast, but I have a good excuse just now. I need good nutrition going in to heal my operated foot at the moment, but I’ll be beside Chook cheering from the sidelines. Best of luck all of you xx

Reactions: Emma_369

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in - fasting has become my new favourite thing to do for some insane reason. Might help me shift my last pound I need to lose! I’ll do a water and black coffee fast this time round
Brilliant welcome on board

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in too! I'll try to do the 48 hours with you - I'll start on Tuesday at 5.30pm and finish on Thursday. I'll have cream in coffee, so not strictly fasting but good enough for the benefits at my size. Hope it goes as well as my 3 day fast - I'm looking forward to it!
Brilliant will be great to do it with company

Reactions: Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe one day, I’ll brave a fast, but I have a good excuse just now. I need good nutrition going in to heal my operated foot at the moment, but I’ll be beside Chook cheering from the sidelines. Best of luck all of you xx
Thank @Rachox youve already had an egg fast in hospital! You focus on your recovery but good to have cheerleaders however maybe no jumping up and down on your crutches!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'll def be doing the BRC too.. can't start the day without 3 or 4!

Reactions: Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'll def be doing the BRC too.. can't start the day without 3 or 4!

BRC??? It's got a to be something or other coffee....?

I haven't had coffee with caffeine in it for many years but I'm thinking of buying some in time for my next fast. Just for that first mug in the morning.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To those of you who have achieved remission of T2, and are no longer overweight, can you explain for the uninitiated what you hope to achieve? Are you doing this just for the autophagy, or is something else going on like carb creep, or some increases in blood glucose levels?
Not in any way a criticism. I do fast frequently, as I have difficulty in that fasting blood glucose is seldom less than 7, and weight loss is slow, almost non-existent.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Pipp
For me it will be for
  1. a bit more weight loss.. (still aiming for sub 200 pounds.. never managed it) I'm still "overweight"
  2. better blood sugar control (although since changing to a Tee2 meter that seems to be ok)
  3. possibly for some autophagy to tighten up some loose skin that I still have

Reactions: Emma_369 and Chook