I have given up with food!.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Have you tried Mashed Celeriac? cook it just the same as potatoes, mash and add a little garlic puree, butter and grated cheese. Or you can simply roast it, this tastes very much like parsnips. Do you eat stews? Mashed cauli and broccoli with butter, cream, garlic puree, salt and pepper grated cheese is lovely..Some added chilli flakes are also nice. I use this to top minced beef, so like a cottage pie or with Lamb Shephard's pie. You will not feel as if you are eating veg. Aubergines cut into slices..spread with tomato puree, add Mozzarella, bacon bits, and basil leaves and roast in the oven. Or you can just add Green Pesto and Mozzerella cheese and roast. Bit like a pizza only with Aubergines. Do you like fish? Salmon with a pesto crust. The list is endless
Thank you.

I am sure they are but even simple things like adding X to Y confuses me. Oh, and Parsnips are possibly my most loathed veg ever lol.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh, I did not see the above msg..So all that I have listed with food if you cannot cook, then you may find it difficult. Can your wife not cook for you or show you how to cook?
She isn't interested in doing so. For reasons I cant go into because they are private to her.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Does she know how important this is to you? Couldn't she give you a hand, and perhaps choose meals that can be LCHF-friendly, but with a carby side for herself? That way you can cook and eat together. You may learn a trick or two, and feel you've got her support.
I think that's a good idea but when I mention something like that there's no enthusiasm to do so. I think she is going through a phase where everything, including helping me, is a lot of effort hence she come sin and would rather just go with my "effort" when it comes to eating.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Patrick66 - can you follow video recipes easier or pictures - is it the written recipes you struggle with. My son likes things broken down into 2 stages at a time.

With a video from YouTube or lots of the low carb blogs have some recipes on video you could watch it right through then watch and pause as much as you like whilst you cook, rewind as many times as you like too- it may be a bit time consuming but doable- pick simple recipes

Speak to your doctor - not just about it from a health point of view but as you have a diagnosis of autism you are entitled to help from a Social Worker, they can be very helpful, my son had some re- enabling help. Someone comes to the house and works with him helping him learn to cook simple meals, working along side him with a great understanding of how he takes in and uses information

Is it all food you've lost interest in or just LCHF way of eating? I really do think for your all round health you may need to go back to some foods you enjoyed before maybe in smaller portions - I think the way you've lost weight whilst it's great it's not in a healthy way - that is to say you now have an issue with food that could snowball into a disorder if you're not careful (been there worn the Tshirt on that one)
I have a partner so I don't think I would get any help especially as she is a good cook lol. She just cant be bothered these days.
Yes I have watched a number of YouTube videos but I find the presentation of many quite difficult to watch as they don't explain very well be that the actual recipe or what goes where. I will persist.

I don't think going LCHF has helped my mental state. I find food totally depressing now. I cant say I miss stuff and watching my better half eat chocolate and sweets and chips isn't making me crave those things but its a narrow diet now even more restricted and a huge fear of going wrong so I now panic at eating anything outside a rigid 8-10 different ingredients.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a partner so I don't think I would get any help especially as she is a good cook lol. She just cant be bothered these days.
Yes I have watched a number of YouTube videos but I find the presentation of many quite difficult to watch as they don't explain very well be that the actual recipe or what goes where. I will persist.

I don't think going LCHF has helped my mental state. I find food totally depressing now. I cant say I miss stuff and watching my better half eat chocolate and sweets and chips isn't making me crave those things but its a narrow diet now even more restricted and a huge fear of going wrong so I now panic at eating anything outside a rigid 8-10 different ingredients.
It might be worth a try - my son still lives at home with both of us parents who incidentally are trained chefs in a former life and he got the help- it doesn't matter that you have a partner as an adult you are entitled to learn skills that makes you independent.

I really admire how much you've tried with your food, it's hard enough for a neurotypical person to ditch the foods they love and totally change their mindset and lifestyle. For someone with autism it's so so difficult with all the sensory issues, routines, learning styles and anxieties- don't be hard on yourself you are a very able and intelligent man who needs a helping hand - even if it's just someone to present/write recipes for food that you enjoy in a way that makes it's easier for you x

Reactions: gemma_T1 and briped

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Patrick66 do you like a good (or even average) curry?
A lot of the curries in M&S, Sainsbury and similar are very good on the carbohydrate front and don't require any skill to reheat.
Just slam them in the microwave or the oven.
Avoid the ones with rice included, obviously.

Oh, and consider going to a basic cookery class. That should help you with your confidence and let you cook simple things.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can use a microwave you could try the 4 packs of either Cauliflower rice or Green rice (brocolli, kale, spinach all blitzed up) from Iceland. They are really handy and quick.

Reactions: Patrick66

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did look.
Didn't see much I could do..unless I was creative. And my partner, who usually puts meals together, is more than happy with her potatoes, chocolate etc...so I am a little bit isolated in the kitchen.

I see nice recipes but not ones I can follow.

it is really a problem to me too, my daughter makes most of the dinners for the two of us , her being a vegetarian, but many times it is with too many carbs or way too much fat ... and I have a problem already gaining weight ..
Initially I had a feeling that most foods have become poisonous it was so alarming to walk through the supermarkets where so few foods were on the plus side...
I think it is important that you don´t become too depressed, and I know many will say this is a bad advice, but couldn´t you have one day a week where you just eat all kinds of foods, and then have this day to look forward to ? it is also hard for me to be strict enough with my diet ... but it is also important to have some joy in life and not deprive oneself in such a manner that depression sets in..

I used to be a potato and fruit kind of person... and new baked bread person as well... I feel your pain ... please be kind towards yourself dear
gallery-1475185640-e56d4e9272d0ecc4b3b2709945d5bc51.jpg

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tomato-chips5-1-of-1.jpg
tomato chips with pamesan on here over

cauliflower rice is a great substitute for rice by the way

beetroot deviled eggs ...I love devilled eggs with cucumber --
2322593-beet-deviled-eggs.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick66

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried fish. I know a lot of folk can't be doing with it but it is the simplest thing to cook.
Salmon, cooks itself it has so much fat in it, bake or dry fry in a pan.
Haddock, fry in butter, you can coat in a the thinnest layer of flour or dip in egg and cover with ground almonds. Chop some parsley, frozen peas in the microwave, 2 mins on max. I have this at least once a week.... :)

Meaty sausages with mushrooms.

Lidl's German Meatballs, autistic son, who is a picky eater, destroys these after a blast in the microwave.

Good luck.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I have had to invest in three new pairs of jeans because I have lost so much weight (27 lb and counting) and because I was already tall and "lanky" I am starting to look a little unwell. I misjudged going from 38" waist to 36" and had to drop again to 34".

I should be so lucky.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 do you like a good (or even average) curry?
A lot of the curries in M&S, Sainsbury and similar are very good on the carbohydrate front and don't require any skill to reheat.
Just slam them in the microwave or the oven.
Avoid the ones with rice included, obviously.

Oh, and consider going to a basic cookery class. That should help you with your confidence and let you cook simple things.
Actually, despite having travelled widely in India and loving India..I can’t abide curry in any shape or form.

My Mum loved a curry but the combination of spices, smell and it’s appearance just put me off. The sauces look...odd..to me.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you can use a microwave you could try the 4 packs of either Cauliflower rice or Green rice (brocolli, kale, spinach all blitzed up) from Iceland. They are really handy and quick.
Thank you.

I wish we had an Iceland nearby. Must investigate as that’s so easy.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
it is really a problem to me too, my daughter makes most of the dinners for the two of us , her being a vegetarian, but many times it is with too many carbs or way too much fat ... and I have a problem already gaining weight ..
Initially I had a feeling that most foods have become poisonous it was so alarming to walk through the supermarkets where so few foods were on the plus side...
I think it is important that you don´t become too depressed, and I know many will say this is a bad advice, but couldn´t you have one day a week where you just eat all kinds of foods, and then have this day to look forward to ? it is also hard for me to be strict enough with my diet ... but it is also important to have some joy in life and not deprive oneself in such a manner that depression sets in..

I used to be a potato and fruit kind of person... and new baked bread person as well... I feel your pain ... please be kind towards yourself dear View attachment 31495
Thank you.

I will try. Unfortunately terrible self esteem isn’t helping matters. I think a day where I ate anything would be too risky as I don’t want to slip back into bad habits.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Actually, despite having travelled widely in India and loving India..I can’t abide curry in any shape or form.
What did you have when travelling in India?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you tried fish. I know a lot of folk can't be doing with it but it is the simplest thing to cook.
Salmon, cooks itself it has so much fat in it, bake or dry fry in a pan.
Haddock, fry in butter, you can coat in a the thinnest layer of flour or dip in egg and cover with ground almonds. Chop some parsley, frozen peas in the microwave, 2 mins on max. I have this at least once a week.... :)

Meaty sausages with mushrooms.

Lidl's German Meatballs, autistic son, who is a picky eater, destroys these after a blast in the microwave.

Good luck.
I have fish occasionally. I started off enjoying really meaty sausages but now can’t cope with them. Strange as I was keen but sometimes I think too much of something puts me off quite quickly.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
What did you have when travelling in India?
I ate a lot of chips (this was before I took my diabetes seriously although, oddly enough, my hba1c was not too bad), omelettes, yogurt, Chinese especially fried rice, fish..a variety.
Now, if I went back, I’d survive on eggs..

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Patrick66 Sainsburys also do some low carb things - they do a cauliflower rice, butternut squash lasagne sheets, butternut squash or courgette 'noodles', and more too. Aldi also have a fairly large range.

I hate cooking. I hate it, and so I'm lazy. I'm T1, so my situation is a little different, but also try to avoid masses of carbs. One of my go tos is the quorn sausages (which are lowish in carbs) with some bell pepper and mushroom which I pop in a pan and fry for 10 and 8 minutes respectively. The sausages go in the oven - just a fan oven, anything I have to grill etc is a no go.

In general I have about 4 very easy meals that I rotate through.

Are you on metformin by any chance? Have seen others mention that it can kill appetite.