I have given up with food!.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Well, try as I might, I cannot find anything that I enjoy eating.

I have posted about this before but, over the weekend, I simply gave up.

I am still (just about) eating. I am existing on salad, pork chops and broccoli. That's it. The thought of most other "healthy for diabetes" foods simply makes my stomach churn and a wave of nausea wash over me.

I can no longer stomach eggs or bacon. Had my fill of chicken. Have gone off sprouts (eating them 20 days in a row was probably NOT a good idea!), runner beans etc (and I am starting from a very limited diet to begin with)

I have had to invest in three new pairs of jeans because I have lost so much weight (27 lb and counting) and because I was already tall and "lanky" I am starting to look a little unwell. I misjudged going from 38" waist to 36" and had to drop again to 34"..

I feel rubbish (there's a lot of background stresses not helping and my job is, quite literally, damaging my mental health) but yeah, I have given up on food.

Everything's yuck.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
How tall are you? 34" waist sounds pretty good.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, try as I might, I cannot find anything that I enjoy eating.

I have posted about this before but, over the weekend, I simply gave up.

I am still (just about) eating. I am existing on salad, pork chops and broccoli. That's it. The thought of most other "healthy for diabetes" foods simply makes my stomach churn and a wave of nausea wash over me.

I can no longer stomach eggs or bacon. Had my fill of chicken. Have gone off sprouts (eating them 20 days in a row was probably NOT a good idea!), runner beans etc (and I am starting from a very limited diet to begin with)

I have had to invest in three new pairs of jeans because I have lost so much weight (27 lb and counting) and because I was already tall and "lanky" I am starting to look a little unwell. I misjudged going from 38" waist to 36" and had to drop again to 34"..

I feel rubbish (there's a lot of background stresses not helping and my job is, quite literally, damaging my mental health) but yeah, I have given up on food.

Everything's yuck.
Heh, what a bonus though with the weight reduction!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not so sure this is simply a question of not knowing what to eat, it sounds to me like food is becoming an issue in and of itself. Patrick, I know you have had many replies to your posts but all I can suggest is to see your Doctor in the hope of getting some help with the psychology of it all. Diabetics are not immune to things such as anorexia (not suggesting this is the case of course, I am not a Doctor) but would we give the same advice we give Patrick (after weeks of him struggling with food and continuing to do so) to an anorexic?

Reactions: Serena51 and Garway

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Patrick66 I remember you mentioned this a few weeks ago and I suggested having a nose through dietdoctor to get some ideas, I think you need some fresh ideas to look into: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-budget

Some new inspiration will help lift your spirits so have a look through this.
I did look.
Didn't see much I could do..unless I was creative. And my partner, who usually puts meals together, is more than happy with her potatoes, chocolate etc...so I am a little bit isolated in the kitchen.

I see nice recipes but not ones I can follow.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not so sure this is simply a question of not knowing what to eat, it sounds to me like food is becoming an issue in and of itself. Patrick, I know you have had many replies to your posts but all I can suggest is to see your Doctor in the hope of getting some help with the psychology of it all. x
I partially agree.

I forced myself into this in a bid to get operation fit. Achieved that but now feel trapped and almost scared to do anything in case it all goes wrong. See my doctor in two weeks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Have you been tempted to try a few yourself @Patrick66 ? mealtimes would otherwise be very boring but if you can find say 5 recipes today you can cook yourself then that would be a good lift for you.

Reactions: Garway

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To some degree I am in a similar position to you. Only some. I empathise with your point about there being a restriction on choice. I might have said before, I am a lousy cook and am forced into a position where I have to cook. I cheat a little by using ready made sauces, low carb ones of course. I realise that ready made isn’t the perfect solution but it helps me get around my poor cooking skills. If I didn’t use them then my food would tend to be pretty unappetising too.

Had you considered that approach. Just a suggestion that might help.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have you been tempted to try a few yourself @Patrick66 ? mealtimes would otherwise be very boring but if you can find say 5 recipes today you can cook yourself then that would be a good lift for you.
I have looked. And looked again. But I cant even scramble an egg. I am that useless in the kitchen.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
To some degree I am in a similar position to you. Only some. I empathise with your point about there being a restriction on choice. I might have said before, I am a lousy cook and am forced into a position where I have to cook. I cheat a little by using ready made sauces, low carb ones of course. I realise that ready made isn’t the perfect solution but it helps me get around my poor cooking skills. If I didn’t use them then my food would tend to be pretty unappetising too.

Had you considered that approach. Just a suggestion that might help.
I have to cook as my partner, who can cook, doesn't want too.

So I am confined by what I can do eg grill a chop and boil a vegetable. When she mentions cooking its something I couldn't eat on my diet so ...we revert to chops...again.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Have you tried Mashed Celeriac? cook it just the same as potatoes, mash and add a little garlic puree, butter and grated cheese. Or you can simply roast it, this tastes very much like parsnips. Do you eat stews? Mashed cauli and broccoli with butter, cream, garlic puree, salt and pepper grated cheese is lovely..Some added chilli flakes are also nice. I use this to top minced beef, so like a cottage pie or with Lamb Shephard's pie. You will not feel as if you are eating veg. Aubergines cut into slices..spread with tomato puree, add Mozzarella, bacon bits, and basil leaves and roast in the oven. Or you can just add Green Pesto and Mozzerella cheese and roast. Bit like a pizza only with Aubergines. Do you like fish? Salmon with a pesto crust. The list is endless

Reactions: paulmh and Serena51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Salad pork chops and broccoli?
That's fine, absolutely fine.
I'm not joking - you can go on eating that until you want to try something different.
There are basic cookery books and even videos on line for basic cooking skills if you ever feel the need of them, but if you are eating meat with fat in it and fresh veges (or frozen) you'll not come to any harm.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to cook as my partner, who can cook, doesn't want too.

So I am confined by what I can do eg grill a chop and boil a vegetable. When she mentions cooking its something I couldn't eat on my diet so ...we revert to chops...again.
My wife’s and child’s diet has an impact on my cooking too. I do find it a struggle finding a compromise. Tonight I am doing baked white fish with fresh lemon drizzled on top. With frozen chargrilled vedge at 6 grams per 100. I will cook rice for my wife and kid and cauliflower rice for me.

Thanks to a few suggestions on here I have mastered a good cauliflower rice. It will be palatable as I am getting better at cooking now.

Reactions: Serena51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have looked. And looked again. But I cant even scramble an egg. I am that useless in the kitchen.
Oh, I did not see the above msg..So all that I have listed with food if you cannot cook, then you may find it difficult. Can your wife not cook for you or show you how to cook?

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When she mentions cooking its something I couldn't eat on my diet so ...we revert to chops...again.
Does she know how important this is to you? Couldn't she give you a hand, and perhaps choose meals that can be LCHF-friendly, but with a carby side for herself? That way you can cook and eat together. You may learn a trick or two, and feel you've got her support.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Patrick66 - can you follow video recipes easier or pictures - is it the written recipes you struggle with. My son likes things broken down into 2 stages at a time.

With a video from YouTube or lots of the low carb blogs have some recipes on video you could watch it right through then watch and pause as much as you like whilst you cook, rewind as many times as you like too- it may be a bit time consuming but doable- pick simple recipes

Speak to your doctor - not just about it from a health point of view but as you have a diagnosis of autism you are entitled to help from a Social Worker, they can be very helpful, my son had some re- enabling help. Someone comes to the house and works with him helping him learn to cook simple meals, working along side him with a great understanding of how he takes in and uses information

Is it all food you've lost interest in or just LCHF way of eating? I really do think for your all round health you may need to go back to some foods you enjoyed before maybe in smaller portions - I think the way you've lost weight whilst it's great it's not in a healthy way - that is to say you now have an issue with food that could snowball into a disorder if you're not careful (been there worn the Tshirt on that one)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just a suggestion but how are you with Rollitos? You can buy them ready made but to be honest it really is idiot proof. Roll up your favourite cooked meat, I like sliced chorizo, salaami, ham, beef etc (obviously not all of these at the same time!), inside or outside a slice of Edam or Gauda. I have two of these with a salad or cooked veggies but it would be a good snack for most people and at roughly 1.5 carbs per Rollito job's a goodun.

Reactions: Patrick66