Planning a fast why not get some support and record your achievements?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Flora123 I think it’s personal choice about diet drinks. It seems to be individual as to whether they cause an insulin response and/or trigger cravings. When I was using OMAD almost daily the first summer after diagnosis I found a Diet Coke would often help stave off hunger. Now I find them incredibly sweet and although I have a couple in the fridge, it’s been several weeks since I drank one - like @Pipp I find sparkling water with a slice of lime to be a good alternative. Totally up to you and as @bulkbiker says, if the odd one during a fast helps you continue, why not?

@lessci good to see you on the thread - the more the merrier.

All, I’ve had to adjust my plans. Am starting my fast tonight - just had dinner and will go until dinner on Wednesday. Found out today that it’s my best work buddy’s 20 year anniversary at the end of this week and as she doesn’t work Fridays, we’re planning a celebration on Thursday. I was asked to make some of my ‘healthy’ cakes (one of my younger colleagues proudly tells anyone who will listen that ‘Goonergal’s cakes are really healthy - like eating a salad!!j which will mean baking on Wednesday night and it would be an enormous feat of self control to do that while fasting, and even more of one not to sample any of them on Thursday, so have switched the fast around.

Works well as I’ll leave work early tomorrow and have a long walk to the APPG-Diabetes meeting (walking always dulls my appetite) and then the meeting itself will be a distraction. Will post starting stats in the morning.

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@Flora123 I think it’s personal choice about diet drinks. It seems to be individual as to whether they cause an insulin response and/or trigger cravings. When I was using OMAD almost daily the first summer after diagnosis I found a Diet Coke would often help stave off hunger. Now I find them incredibly sweet and although I have a couple in the fridge, it’s been several weeks since I drank one - like @Pipp I find sparkling water with a slice of lime to be a good alternative. Totally up to you and as @bulkbiker says, if the odd one during a fast helps you continue, why not?

All, I’ve had to adjust my plans. Am starting my fast tonight - just had dinner and will go until dinner on Wednesday. Found out today that it’s my best work buddy’s 20 year anniversary at the end of this week and as she doesn’t work Fridays, we’re planning a celebration on Thursday. I was asked to make some of my ‘healthy’ cakes (one of my younger colleagues proudly tells anyone who will listen that ‘Goonergal’s cakes are really healthy - like eating a salad!!j which will mean baking on Wednesday night and it would be an enormous feat of self control to do that while fasting, and even more of one not to sample any of them on Thursday, so have switched the fast around.

Works well as I’ll leave work early tomorrow and have a long walk to the APPG-Diabetes meeting (walking always dulls my appetite) and then the meeting itself will be a distraction. Will post starting stats in the morning.
Do you want to start a new thread.. I'll be starting after dinner on Tuesday evening.. probably.. curry tonight!

Reactions: Chook

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you want to start a new thread.. I'll be starting after dinner on Tuesday evening.. probably.. curry tonight!

Good idea. I’ll start a thread for the fast. Off out now, so will do when I get back/in the morning.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wonderful sorry for delay replying but up with mum in York’s and was at hospital all day. Going back home tomorrow
I’m with you on avoiding weight loss but I’m hoping that any I lose will gravitate back bit of an experiment!
Re diet soft drinks would imagine its personal choice think only thing I’d be aware of is I may have read something that diet soft drinks can cause an insulin response? Not sure may not be right at all - maybe someone else may know @Goonergal ? @bulkbiker ? I don’t drink diet drinks but do know point of fasting is to get rid of insulin response to allow autophagy and think a bit of cream dosent cause this??
Does anyone have more knowledge about this topic?
I’m eating Tuesday but not sure yet if last meal will be lunch or dinner will see how it goes. I will post my bgs weight ketone etc at the start ie either tomorrow pm or first thing Wednesday and then as go along. I’ll finish either lunch or dinner time Thursday
See how you feel as to best thing for you.

Thanks. Will do my best to avoid my treat and stick to water. When do you test for ketones? I’m limiting my test strips for ketones. Thanks

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I drank gallons of those herbal/fruit teas. I think I just needed a different taste in my mouth from plain water. If you live near a Home Bargains they are doing some of the Tetley ones for 89p.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Will do my best to avoid my treat and stick to water. When do you test for ketones? I’m limiting my test strips for ketones. Thanks
Normally I only test ketones on Friday am to keep an eye on things but this week I’m planning on testing as I start, after full days fast and again before I break my fast. I feel I’d like to what’s happening but agree that ketone strips very pricey so need to limit them.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

i find i get the best test in the early afternoon - I have no idea why.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Normally I only test ketones on Friday am to keep an eye on things but this week I’m planning on testing as I start, after full days fast and again before I break my fast. I feel I’d like to what’s happening but agree that ketone strips very pricey so need to limit them.

Did you know that if you've got a steady hand you can cut them in half lengthwise.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh no, you 're right of course. I always forget the other ones exist.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a true fast, but planning to go 800 Calories for lent, with a mix of "real food" and protein shakes for convenience, with 2 "cheat" days as I've committed to a birthday & a retirement party (but they will be VLC meals)
@lessci your plans for lent sound good good luck with it will be interested to see how you get on

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not a true fast, but planning to go 800 Calories for lent, with a mix of "real food" and protein shakes for convenience, with 2 "cheat" days as I've committed to a birthday & a retirement party (but they will be VLC meals)
@lessci your plans for lent sound good good luck with it will be interested to see how you get on

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck @Goonergal ill join your new actual fast thread when start which may be tomorrow or Wednesday depending on how things go but will do 48 hours from when start and take recordings.
Excited to hear how your House of Commons visit goes will all take mind off fasting!
Hi all

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In some traditions the Lent fast is from Ash Wednesday to Maundy Thursday, but, (the interesting bit) Sundays are excluded. So you do have some leeway for up to six fast free days during that time.
:)

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its meant to recycle the cells that are on their way out and less loose skin is alleged to be one benefit.. I'm pretty sure that my IF regime has meant that I have a lot less loose skin than someone who has lost through calorie reduction but I do still have a bit. Dr Fung always says that none of his fasting patients has ever had any skin reduction surgery post weight loss so I guess it must do something!
I’m at my ideal weight now but am keen to continue fasts for this reason as I hope over time the fasts will make a slight difference to the loose skin