End of February 48 hour group fasting support

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Whew just catching up with posts, sorry I haven't replied to many.

I ended my fast at 4pm, an hour or two earlier than I planned... I was feeling quite wobbly

My final readings at 3pm were

BG 3.9 - first time under 4 for me since (my) records began!
Ketones 2.1 - I think that's the highest I've recorded so far.
Weight loss over 9 pounds in 4 days.

Had a change of plan because I was feeling very hollow and a little unhealthy around 3pm - I think the 3.9 was giving me a bit of a false hypo. I stopped at McDs and got a signature burger without the bun, and had that before going on to do the shopping.

I had an odd experience - the first mouthful when swallowed made the back of my throat very sore. I don't think it was anything in the burger, because I noticed the pork scratchings did the same thing last time when I had a 3 day fast. I thought maybe they were a bit hard (scratchy) to eat after several days without food, but the burger was soft. Maybe my throat was just a little tender after a rest? After about five minutes, during which I didn't eat any more but my mouth was really salivating like mad, the soreness faded and I could eat freely again.

Anyhow after the burger I felt better, shopping went fine, wasn't hungry - I ate a packet of pork scratchings and a small tub of deli olives on the way home and felt very full.

After a visit with my mum, I got home half an hour ago and have just had some strawberries with cream - that's what I was craving, so that's what I went with! Oh, and a cup of tea with cream.

I also seem to be finding coffee a little strong on an empty stomach and had a few urgent trips to the loo before realising that's what it was! More green tea/lemon and hot water for me, and less coffee, in future fasts.

This weekend will involve some carbs, but I'll try to be sensible. I will go and look at @JimLahey's avatar for a bit to help me stay on track!

I'm feeling very full now and really loving how fasting resets my appetite. It's the way to health for me, long may it last (and long may I fast!!)

It's been wonderful having such great company, thank you all, I hope we'll all join in with each other in future too. I'll keep posting here for a few days to post updates, and cheer on those still fasting after today. I will probably regain a few pounds, but that is only to be expected.
Funny avatar comment !
Congratulations on getting so far amazing and what great results. Interesting too your comment about fasting resetting things for you look forward to reading your next few days.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny avatar comment !
Congratulations on getting so far amazing and what great results. Interesting too your comment about fasting resetting things for you look forward to reading your next few days.

Jim's a great role model for low carb way of eating as well as having a very stern avatar :)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I didn't register my intention to join in the 48 hour fast, I have just completed it. Thank you to Goonergal and Shelley for promoting it.
It doesn't seem to have had a very positive effect. I had hoped that fasting would reduce my bs level substantially. Sadly, this was not the case; the lowest I achieved was 5.1 and, sometimes, the level would rise inexplicably, even without eating. Why?

Thanks, @shelley262, for tagging me.

Hi @micra21,

Personally, I have never fasted multiple days -- so don't know how my blood sugars would react once there is no more stored glycogen in the liver. However, if I have breakfast and then don't eat for the rest of the day, I sometimes see my blood sugars move up a bit, maybe in the range of around 5.6 (which is higher than if I would have had food). This is usually also accompanied by a feeling of hunger.

If I had to guess, I would put this down to my body being stressed (not the same as work or psychological stress) and releasing cortisol.

Last edited:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for me.. I'll have something in an hour and getting pangs that I haven't experienced at all in the last 3 days.. crazy how our brains trip us up..
Not just me then.
I have headache that tells me I should go find a horse to eat. Tried to distract myself by a long soak in bath. Think I will raid fridge for some cheese. I don’t believe the myth that it gives you nightmares. Let you all know tomorrow. :D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
~Final readings post dinner about 3 1/2 h after eating

BG (Tee2) 4.6 (Codefree) 5.3

Ketones 2.8

Had roast lamb shoulder for dinner followed by a coffee with cream and some Cavalier 85% choc with stevia sweetening todays intake as follows

Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 22.52.06.png

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But when will the liver stop dumping glucose? I've been doing if and lchf for ten months now.
How low is your LCHF? if you are topping up your glucose stores you could be maintaining a higher than ideal level of glucose but not enough to cause spikes. An extended fast could possibly drain it down or maybe full on ketogenic would be better.

Merrylizard1314

Overslept today after the near a-fin of yesterday.. Have to buy more ketone test strips today.
BGL 6.3
BP128/76 p58 ( almost normal again)
Weight loss 1.8kg

I can see that I will have to stay fasting for a bit longer - not feeling very hungry, so will forgo the zucchini fritters-the hungry horde can have them for lunch today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Soooo ...disappointing weight gain but not surprising..

This am after eating last night 202.2 pounds 14st 6.2 pounds 91.72 kg

FBG (T2) 4.1 Codefree 5.0

Ketones 2.5

Overall so far down 3.6 pounds will try to maintain that with OMAD and see if the sub 200 pound figure arrives..!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Ketones 2.5

Overall so far down 3.6 pounds will try to maintain that with OMAD and see if the sub 200 pound figure arrives..!
Winner for overall achievements wanted to give hug re weight gain but suppose it’s what inevitably happens after a fast. I’d regained one pound this morning after yesterday’s veggies which are water retaining I think but my plan is to gain a bit more back as lost more than I wanted over the fast. Hope Omad for a bit works for you.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone, I'm a bit foggy, tired and achy today, not sure why - perhaps I'm coming down with a cold or something. I had lovely fried eggs and mushrooms with 2 small sausages this morning, and coffee with cream, followed by a few strawberries with a bit too much cream!

My appetite is still quite moderate, I cooked 3 eggs but could only eat 2.

FBG 5.3
BP 111/66 (morning readings usually lower)
Not measuring ketones for the weekend
I'll check weight again Monday morning - there will be a gain I'm sure but hopefully not too much

I'm going to take it very easy today, I'll do a bit of washing and potter around with some light housework. I'll also slow cook a massive batch of mushrooms that I got on yellow sticker at the supermarket, and freeze for next week.

Edited to add BP, taken at 11am

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ketones 2.5

Fantastic numbers, you're such an inspiration @bulkbiker! I'm sure you'll crack that 200lb barrier soon. It gets so much harder when you're close to or at your target/healthy weight, I understand.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone, I'm a bit foggy, tired and achy today, not sure why - perhaps I'm coming down with a cold or something. I had lovely fried eggs and mushrooms with 2 small sausages this morning, and coffee with cream, followed by a few strawberries with a bit too much cream!

My appetite is still quite moderate, I cooked 3 eggs but could only eat 2.

FBG 5.3
BP 111/66 (morning readings usually lower)
Not measuring ketones for the weekend
I'll check weight again Monday morning - there will be a gain I'm sure but hopefully not too much

I'm going to take it very easy today, I'll do a bit of washing and potter around with some light housework. I'll also slow cook a massive batch of mushrooms that I got on yellow sticker at the supermarket, and freeze for next week.

Edited to add BP, taken at 11am
Enjoy your day hope your aches and pains go too.

Reactions: Ponchu and Chook

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic numbers, you're such an inspiration @bulkbiker! I'm sure you'll crack that 200lb barrier soon. It gets so much harder when you're close to or at your target/healthy weight, I understand.
I certainly hope so.. either that or I'll just have to admit that my body doesn't want me below 200 pounds!

Reactions: Ponchu

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
O.K. Tuesday 26/02/2019
I will stick to one post and edit it as I go along.
Morning coffee with butter and cream at around 08:30.
Random BG test at 12:00 is 5.8 which is not to be sneezed at.
I will try to remember to test first thing in the morning (my brain takes a while to start functioning) and then last thing at night. Watch this space.

Had steak and salad (and a few small BBQd boiled and cooled potatoes) for the blow out BBQ today. I couldn't finish my healthy salad because I was stuffed. A bit of cheese, three or four grapes, and three small slices of nectarine for sinful dessert. So today may end up being OMAD as well. Must remember to test BG last thing. Bet I have put a pound or two on.

Tuesday 26/02 last thing at night 6.1
Wednesday 27/02 FBG 6.8 Weight 171.2 lbs Start of fast.

Done my 20 mile bike ride with coffee break. My body is about to realise that there is no food in the offing.
Now wondering how hard core everyone else is. I sometimes have a whisky and water as a nightcap but that does contain calories. Frittering time away to avoid think of...no...don't think of....

Wednesday 27/02 bedtime BG 4.2
Thursday 28/02 FBG 5.1 Weight 169.0 pounds.

I'm now wondering if, assuming I manage the three days and I keep losing weight, what next? I assume that I could eventually get down to my long term target of 161 lbs/ 11 stone 7 lbs but long term fasting may need vitamin supplements at minimum. I also need to accept that there is likely to be a 4 lb rebound as my tissue glucose store rebuilds over time.
Didn't sleep well. Possibly subconscious fretting.

I'm finding it quite hard to stay awake and quite hard to concentrate. now about 16:30 on Day 2. I assume my body is trying to slow me down because we are in a famine.

Thursday 28/2 bedtime BG 4.9 Ketones 6.8(!)

Never seen my ketones that high, although I stopped testing after confirming that I was in nutritional ketosis. End of the second day. So far so good.

Friday 1/3 FBG 4.8 Weight 167 pounds
Possibly TMI but after two days of no solids my bowels are refusing to move. Probably nothing in there to move, anyway. So I'm definitely in the zone of No {excretory waste} Sherlock.

O.K. fast finished at 17:00 on the third day.
I fell asleep waiting to take my "end of day" BG reading. Oops!

Saturday 2/3 FBG 7/4 Weight 166.6 pounds.

Saturday 2/3 around 15:00 after 27 mile bike ride on just coffee, cream and butter BG 6.4
So back to more or less my pre-fast level.

Weight from 171.2 lbs to 166.6 lbs so 4.6 lbs lost over 3 days including the last day being OMAD. We shall see if it stays off.

The fast seems to have been a success so I am motivated to try again.

Just tagging my record to the end of the thread to make it more obvious.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Fell behind with this thread, largely due to being very unwell yesterday. Some great results and I hope you don’t mind me combining my comments into one post rather than responding to each of yours individually.

Firstly, final figures for me after breaking my fast - taken a day late this morning due to yesterday’s events:

FBG was 4.2
Ketones 1.7 (Caresens, 2.1 On Call)
Weight 58.1kg so a further 0.7kg drop (2.1kg total loss). Hoping that’s not due to being ill, but did eat and drink plenty yesterday....

In no particular order.

@LittleGreyCat amazing ketones. Hope you enjoyed your bike ride.

@Chook a bit soon to join you for the whole fast (would love a shot at a longer one now have managed a couple of 48 hour ones), but like @Pipp happy to join you for part of it. Perhaps Tuesday/Wednesday?

@micra21 sorry you didn’t get the results you hoped for, but agree with the advice given by @shelley262 and @ziggy_w

@jpscloud hope you’re not coming down with anything

@bulkbiker roast lamb shoulder for me too tonight (well just eaten). Hope you are able to get under the elusive 200lb mark.

Enjoyed fasting along with others - thanks to all for the support and encouragement.

Reactions: ziggy_w

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just tagging my record to the end of the thread to make it more obvious.

Amazing results @LittleGreyCat, I'm humbled by the success of all you fasters who don't need to lose more than half your bodyweight like me! I think I do find it so much easier because my body is fine with using its stores up during no food scenarios, and doesn't really give me much to worry about. Your bike ride is real Iron Woman stuff - congrats!

Reactions: Goonergal

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all. Fell behind with this thread, largely due to being very unwell yesterday. Some great results and I hope you don’t mind me combining my comments into one post rather than responding to each of yours individually.

Firstly, final figures for me after breaking my fast - taken a day late this morning due to yesterday’s events:

FBG was 4.2
Ketones 1.7 (Caresens, 2.1 On Call)
Weight 58.1kg so a further 0.7kg drop (2.1kg total loss). Hoping that’s not due to being ill, but did eat and drink plenty yesterday....

In no particular order.

@LittleGreyCat amazing ketones. Hope you enjoyed your bike ride.

@Chook a bit soon to join you for the whole fast (would love a shot at a longer one now have managed a couple of 48 hour ones), but like @Pipp happy to join you for part of it. Perhaps Tuesday/Wednesday?

@micra21 sorry you didn’t get the results you hoped for, but agree with the advice given by @shelley262 and @ziggy_w

@jpscloud hope you’re not coming down with anything

@bulkbiker roast lamb shoulder for me too tonight (well just eaten). Hope you are able to get under the elusive 200lb mark.

Enjoyed fasting along with others - thanks to all for the support and encouragement.
Sorry you've been unwell Goonergal, hope you are okay now. I seem to be fine now, so whatever it was has gone. It's been brilliant having such great company, I really am a newbie to fasting so having some experienced folks to talk to has been so helpful, not to mention motivating.

I'm having carbs this weekend but keeping it as sensible as possible. Next week I'll probably do 16:8 and maybe OMAD, perhaps alternating each day. I'll be cheering on anyone doing more fasting, though!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am late reporting. Reason? Been very sleepy all day. Despite the slight misgivings regarding consuption of cheese late last night, there were no nightmares. Just over 11 hours of undisturbed sleep.

Friday lunch of scambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms with lots of butter. Dinner salmon, with cheese and chives, broccoli, green beans with butter. Late evening glass of almond milk and chunk of red leicester.
Bedtime BG 5.9 ketones 1.5.

Saturday brunch at 12:30, Greek yougurt and raspberries. Dinner cauliflower rice, beef chilli, fried buttery cabbage.

Fasting BG at 11:45 ( that is how late I woke up) 6.6 . Ketones 1.5
Dinner post prandial, +2 hours, BG 5.3. Evening ketones4.0. (Wow, never been that much before) .
Weight remains same as yesterday.

Observation- despite drinking at least 2.5 litres of water, plus soda water and several coffees each day I have had a dry mouth, and metallic taste. Saturday I have been very tired.
During the fasting period I didn't feel at all hungry. As soon as I broke the fast, I felt as if I needed to keep eating. Resisted that. The glass of almond milk and piece of cheese was sufficient.

Reactions: Speedbird