Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woop woop!

Afternoon figures after a cuppa tea with lactofree

BG (Tee2) 3.6 (Codefree) 4.2
Ketones 4.2

GKI of 1.0 or with the Tee2 even lower...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Results today hbaca1 29 with bloods taken on second day of fast done by private test as an interim official one due May hoping its accurate and wondering how much fasting helped . It was 31 at last test in October 2018. Its very close to my own bg tests with mysugr predicting 28
Still good results from fast too despite eating albeit very keto today bacon and egg brunch
Bgs just 4.2
Ketones 5.8 interesting benefits still going

Moderator edit to remove image with personal and GP info.

Attachments

• 8395B388-4BA8-4D8A-A860-292F99880C33.jpeg
    8395B388-4BA8-4D8A-A860-292F99880C33.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Reactions: Flora123

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Results hbaca1 with bloods taken on second day of fast done by private test as an interim official one due May hoping its accurate and wondering how much fasting helped was 31 October 2018. Its very close to my own bg tests with mysugr predicting 28
Still good results from fast too despite eating albeit very keto today bacon and egg brunch
Bgs just 4.2

Brilliant @shelley262

Moderator edit of quoted post

Last edited by a moderator:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

This is ludicrous,
I have gone almost 3 days without eating and no real hunger pangs and craving.
I am due to end my fast in just over half an hour and I am pacing up and down like a caged tiger.:banghead:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Results hbaca1 with bloods taken on second day of fast done by private test as an interim official one due May hoping its accurate and wondering how much fasting helped was 31 October 2018. Its very close to my own bg tests with mysugr predicting 28
Bgs just 4.2

Nice one superstar!

Moderator edit quoted post

Last edited by a moderator:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is ludicrous,
I have gone almost 3 days without eating and no real hunger pangs and craving.
I am due to end my fast in just over half an hour and I am pacing up and down like a caged tiger.:banghead:
Same for me.. I'll have something in an hour and getting pangs that I haven't experienced at all in the last 3 days.. crazy how our brains trip us up..

micra21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 31553
Good morning all my stats first thing on rising are:
Fbg 4.0
Ketones 4.1
Weight 54.4 kgs or 8 stone 8 pounds
Ketones were very reactive to fast and peaked on second day in afternoon to 6.8 before settling back - no doubt they’d rise again later today if continued.
Lowest bg over the fast that I’ve picked up was 3.6 at bedtime last night
My weight loss has been 1.5kgs which is a fair chunk over a short period as I’m at low end of ideal - so gone from 55.9kg to 54.4kg bmi now 19.2 still healthy weight but don’t want to drop anymore and I’m sure it will reset to where I’d like it to be as I start eating again which I plan to do this morning! Plan to break my fast mid morning at the 65 hour mark further than planned to go so these figures will be my end of fast figures.
I’ll report back with Friday morning figures to record changes to weight, ketones, bgs as go back to eating as @Goonergal has this morning.
Good luck to all those continuing I’ve enjoyed the experience and feel some real achievement as hadn’t ever gone above 23 hours before and wanted to see if I could. I’m hoping too some of the magic autophagy has gone on in the background while I’ve not been eating.

micra21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I didn't register my intention to join in the 48 hour fast, I have just completed it. Thank you to Goonergal and Shelley for promoting it.
It doesn't seem to have had a very positive effect. I had hoped that fasting would reduce my bs level substantially. Sadly, this was not the case; the lowest I achieved was 5.1 and, sometimes, the level would rise inexplicably, even without eating. Why?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I didn't register my intention to join in the 48 hour fast, I have just completed it. Thank you to Goonergal and Shelley for promoting it.
It doesn't seem to have had a very positive effect. I had hoped that fasting would reduce my bs level substantially. Sadly, this was not the case; the lowest I achieved was 5.1 and, sometimes, the level would rise inexplicably, even without eating. Why?
Well done on doing this and sticking with it. We are all individual and it can take time - when I first fasted 18 months ago only 23 hours at a time but still had reaction. When didn’t eat till dinner and it was early days I was still suffering dawn phenomenon and my bgs climbed sometimes to 6.5 despite no food - wonder too if stress and cortisol made this worse. I don’t have dp anymore 18 months laterand also have normal insulin resistance according to a recent test so now am very reactive in a good way to fasting. Suppose what I’m saying is that you could still be experiencing dp or may not react well to fasting. I know several people including @ziggy_w who I believe from previous posts finds that fasting puts her bgs up. Individual differences and reactions probably but for me it was giving it time to get over dp. Having said this I will limit fasting in future to prevent too much weight loss as I’m now low ideal, hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
mmm well that was jolly nice.. 350g of slow roasted lamb shoulder after breaking the fast with a few slices of prosciutto that were in the fridge.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly, this was not the case; the lowest I achieved was 5.1 and, sometimes, the level would rise inexplicably, even without eating. Why?
Could be your liver dumping out some glucose.. how do you usually eat?.. if your body still has too much glucose in it then it will take any opportunity to get rid of it. Fasting may well be that opportunity especially if you don't do it often.

Last edited:

micra21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on doing this and sticking with it. We are all individual and it can take time - when I first fasted 18 months ago only 23 hours at a time but still had reaction. When didn’t eat till dinner and it was early days I was still suffering dawn phenomenon and my bgs climbed sometimes to 6.5 despite no food - wonder too if stress and cortisol made this worse. I don’t have dp anymore 18 months laterand also have normal insulin resistance according to a recent test so now am very reactive in a good way to fasting. Suppose what I’m saying is that you could still be experiencing dp or may not react well to fasting. I know several people including @ziggy_w who finds that fasting puts her bgs up. Individual differences and reactions probably but for me it was giving it time to get over dp. Having said this I will limit fasting in future to prevent too much weight loss as I’m now low ideal, hope this helps.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've been diagnosed for 10 months and have been doing lchf since. I still have dp. I once managed an Hbaic of 5.7 but since it's been over 6. Any suggestions about bringing the number down?

micra21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be your liver dumping out some glucose.. how do you usually eat?.. if your body still has too much glucose in it then it will take any opportunity to get rid of it. Fasting may well be that opportunity especially if you don't do it often.
But when will the liver stop dumping glucose? I've been doing if and lchf for ten months now.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So near and yet... I've already got the lamb shoulder in the oven or I'd be considering another day just to see if I can break it but... see what happens tomorrow a.m.!
Tantalisingly close again!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I've been diagnosed for 10 months and have been doing lchf since. I still have dp. I once managed an Hbaic of 5.7 but since it's been over 6. Any suggestions about bringing the number down?
It’s difficult as it’s individual. What worked for me was discovering what generally brought my numbers down including
Going keto and into ketosis for about 15 months under 20g of carbs an now under 30g I needed to be that low to shift my numbers - others seem to be able to do it with more
Doing intermittent fasting and keeping at it also upped my ketones and eventually impacted on my numbers
Stress management was also as important to me as food as a carer and previous sufferer from depression and anxiety stress and resultant cortisol puts my numbers up practicing mindfulness now twice a day can lower my numbers significantly
Exercise especially non stressful such as steady but very long walks in the country or sometimes if I can’t get time just indoors! Lower my numbers too
Getting my weight right down especially from my middle clearly has also improved my insulin sensitivity.
However, I am very lucky I do not have any other underlying health issues apart from previous depression and anxiety am now on no medication and have found a mix of things that work for me. Good luck experimenting and finding what works for you too im sure you will but it can take time and patience.

micra21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s difficult as it’s individual. What worked for me was discovering what generally brought my numbers down including
Going keto and into ketosis for about 15 months under 20g of carbs an now under 30g I needed to be that low to shift my numbers - others seem to be able to do it with more
Doing intermittent fasting and keeping at it also upped my ketones and eventually impacted on my numbers
Stress management was also as important to me as food as a carer and previous sufferer from depression and anxiety stress and resultant cortisol puts my numbers up practicing mindfulness now twice a day can lower my numbers significantly
Exercise especially non stressful such as steady but very long walks in the country or sometimes if I can’t get time just indoors! Lower my numbers too
Getting my weight right down especially from my middle clearly has also improved my insulin sensitivity.
However, I am very lucky I do not have any other underlying health issues apart from previous depression and anxiety am now on no medication and have found a mix of things that work for me. Good luck experimenting and finding what works for you too im sure you will but it can take time and patience.
Thank you again. I don't do stress and, mercifully, don't have depression so, I suppose, I shall have to keep working at it and join you in the next fast. My only reservation is that my BMI is lowish and I don't really want to lose weight.
Thanks, again, for your helpful responses and inspiration.

Reactions: jpscloud

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whew just catching up with posts, sorry I haven't replied to many.

I ended my fast at 4pm, an hour or two earlier than I planned... I was feeling quite wobbly

My final readings at 3pm were

BG 3.9 - first time under 4 for me since (my) records began!
Ketones 2.1 - I think that's the highest I've recorded so far.
Weight loss over 9 pounds in 4 days.

Had a change of plan because I was feeling very hollow and a little unhealthy around 3pm - I think the 3.9 was giving me a bit of a false hypo. I stopped at McDs and got a signature burger without the bun, and had that before going on to do the shopping.

I had an odd experience - the first mouthful when swallowed made the back of my throat very sore. I don't think it was anything in the burger, because I noticed the pork scratchings did the same thing last time when I had a 3 day fast. I thought maybe they were a bit hard (scratchy) to eat after several days without food, but the burger was soft. Maybe my throat was just a little tender after a rest? After about five minutes, during which I didn't eat any more but my mouth was really salivating like mad, the soreness faded and I could eat freely again.

Anyhow after the burger I felt better, shopping went fine, wasn't hungry - I ate a packet of pork scratchings and a small tub of deli olives on the way home and felt very full.

After a visit with my mum, I got home half an hour ago and have just had some strawberries with cream - that's what I was craving, so that's what I went with! Oh, and a cup of tea with cream.

I also seem to be finding coffee a little strong on an empty stomach and had a few urgent trips to the loo before realising that's what it was! More green tea/lemon and hot water for me, and less coffee, in future fasts.

This weekend will involve some carbs, but I'll try to be sensible. I will go and look at @JimLahey's avatar for a bit to help me stay on track!

I'm feeling very full now and really loving how fasting resets my appetite. It's the way to health for me, long may it last (and long may I fast!!)

It's been wonderful having such great company, thank you all, I hope we'll all join in with each other in future too. I'll keep posting here for a few days to post updates, and cheer on those still fasting after today. I will probably regain a few pounds, but that is only to be expected.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same for me.. I'll have something in an hour and getting pangs that I haven't experienced at all in the last 3 days.. crazy how our brains trip us up..

I noticed that both on my previous 3 day fast and on this one... on the last day, I start champing at the bit for food, where I hadn't given it a thought before!

Reactions: bulkbiker