Early March 2019 - Group Fasting Support

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve done nothing more than 16hrs so far. It’s a bit of a crazy week for me but I reckon I could give a 30hr fast a go Wednesday/Thursday as a first go finishing up with you at dinner. In the meantime I’d better do a bit more reading so I know how I want to do it. I’m fed up with bgl being static as they have been for a long while with very little improvement. It’s fasting or exercising next to see some changes as the diet is as strict as I can deal with, for now anyway. Weight wise I’m not adverse to losing a few more kilos but it’s not a priority.

Any tips for a first go? I only do black coffee pathetically weak and can’t stand cream in tea at all even though I do like it. I think I’d like a “substantial” liquid though to give me the illusion of food/meals. Does anything else count?

Ponchu

I’ve done nothing more than 16hrs so far. It’s a bit of a crazy week for me but I reckon I could give a 30hr fast a go Wednesday/Thursday as a first go finishing up with you at dinner. In the meantime I’d better do a bit more reading so I know how I want to do it. I’m fed up with bgl being static as they have been for a long while with very little improvement. It’s fasting or exercising next to see some changes as the diet is as strict as I can deal with, for now anyway. Weight wise I’m not adverse to losing a few more kilos but it’s not a priority.

Any tips for a first go? I only do black coffee pathetically weak and can’t stand cream in tea at all even though I do like it. I think I’d like a “substantial” liquid though to give me the illusion of food/meals. Does anything else count?

Here’s a tip;

Choose your words with consideration.

“I’ve done nothing more” than 16 hours.

If you maintain such a healthy habit as 12-16 hour overnight fasts for life,

You’re going to have a great deal of long term lasting effect!

Don’t be discouraged!!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I’m watching and cheering from the sidelines this week.
Since finishing last weeks fast I’ve been very hungry at times - probably because of the weight I rapidly lost. I’m now creeping back to where I want to be but have gone back to my daily fasting routine of 16 hours not eating and then three small meals in an 8 hour eating window with Omad fasts done in the future if needed.
My bgs generally are staying low after the longer fast - even after eating so think it has notched me down a bit further. Will check ketones after a few more days of my normal keto with 16/8 eating to see where they settle.
Good luck to you all - especially those of you fasting for longer periods such as @Chook and @Merrylizard1314
@Chook congrats on weight loss - fasting does seem to produce dramatic results but I’ve noticed as I’ve added some lc veggies in this weekend it’s gone up a bit for me so for me it was def partly water loss which suited me as wasn’t doing for weight loss reasons.
@Goonergal if you go for it again this week make sureyou add plenty of salt and liquids after your recent poorly spell. Or maybe some salty beef broth?

Reactions: jpscloud

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

I would love to have your company in this fast. :)

Good idea to read up about it! I decided to just have black coffee and herbal/fruit teas and lots of water although I don't feel my style of fasting is set in stone and will make changes if i feel i need to. I have been putting some of that pink Himalayan salt in some of my drinks (when I remember) and it has helped.

Some people have cream in their drinks or make themselves some bone broth. How about something like Bovril?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here’s a tip;

Choose your words with consideration.

“I’ve done nothing more” than 16 hours.

If you maintain such a healthy habit as 12-16 hour overnight fasts for life,

You’re going to have a great deal of long term lasting effect!

Don’t be discouraged!!
I get your point about being positive but I’ve been doing that at least half the week with the other half being breakfast and dinner no lunch since last July. No significant changes since September .

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Thanks for the suggestion of bovril and cream in drinks but :yuck: to both im afraid. Not sure I’ll have time to make bone broth before Wednesday, in fact I know I won’t.
Jason Fung thinks its possible that fat doesn't switch off autophagy. So would a bulletproof coffee work. Love the stuff myself. Have to limit myself to 2 a day.

Reactions: jpscloud

Merrylizard1314

Although I will have to break my fast because of unmissable lunch meetings, I will be sparing of food intake, and as it will be the start of the Lenten period, it will seem normal.
I do hate it when colleagues urge unwanted food on one, in restaurants, and try to put shares of their food on one's plate, with"just try this, you will love it", despite protests.
I do not know why they do it, they are lovely intelligent people otherwise. It is usually desserts where the desperate sharing occurs. I would have cheese and biscuits if anything, and leave the biscuits.

@Chook, a good result on the scales. Halving the result, for practical purposes is a good stratagem.

This morning
BGL 5.6
Ketones 2.2
BP130/77 p58

Now for bit of dog walking and then a swim. Some of you will be heading off to bed now, so sweet dreams to you and Good morning to the others.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t stand cream in coffee but can manage a little butter or coconut oil

I’m only just catching up with this thread, so hope it’s not already been suggested, but if you don’t like cream etc. in coffee, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t just eat the same amount of cream/butter you’d put in the tea or coffee and then drink the tea/coffee black - still injesting the same stuff, just separately.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal if you go for it again this week make sureyou add plenty of salt and liquids after your recent poorly spell. Or

Thanks @shelley262 have been adding salt to tea all weekend and today and will continue! Am going to aim for 48 hours which started after dinner tonight, so Wednesday dinner.

@Chook @HSSS @Contralto @Caeseji @Merrylizard1314 good luck. Work is pretty crazy right now so difficult to drop in and out of the thread during the day, but will do my best.

Reactions: Pipp

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Posting starting numbers here.

FBG - 4.7
Ketones - 1.8 (Caresens), 2.1 (On Call)
Weight - 58.5kg slightly up from Saturday but well below starting point from last week’s fast

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
A mixed morning for me...

:arghh: FBG - slightly lower today at 6.8 then got DP up to 8.4 (at what would have been post prandial had there been a prandial)

:hilarious: Weight - down another 1.1 kgs (making a total since Sunday morning of 3.3 kgs - over half a stone - definitely not a permanent loss)

:angelic: Blood pressure - 125 / 75 (I do take meds for this but its still a bit down on what it usually is).

:confused: Ketones - nowt showing on the Ketostix (nothing new there then). Probably that pesky Physiological Insulin Resistance again.

:playful: Hunger - not really - there was a big wave of it when Mr C was talking about his meals for today but soon disappeared

:dead: Sleep - no problems getting off to sleep but woke up an hour earlier than normal

:happy: Other - The arthritis in my knees, hips, neck and back are definitely feeling less achey even though its been raining today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketones - nowt showing on the Ketostix (nothing new there then). Probably that pesky Physiological Insulin Resistance again.
You are probably well into ketosis so your body is using ketones and you aren't peeing them out. Im afraid that wee sticks are not recommended for testing ketones if you are testing for nutritional ketosis.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are probably well into ketosis so your body is using ketones and you aren't peeing them out. Im afraid that wee sticks are not recommended for testing ketones if you are testing for nutritional ketosis.

Sad but true. :banghead:

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Morning all. Posting starting numbers here.

FBG - 4.7
Ketones - 1.8 (Caresens), 2.1 (On Call)
Weight - 58.5kg slightly up from Saturday but well below starting point from last week’s fast

OK I'm in.

FBg this morning 4 am was 5 and my last weigh was 77kg (Sunday). No idea on ketones.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m only just catching up with this thread, so hope it’s not already been suggested, but if you don’t like cream etc. in coffee, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t just eat the same amount of cream/butter you’d put in the tea or coffee and then drink the tea/coffee black - still injesting the same stuff, just separately.
Yes, this is what I do. Cream tastes much better off the spoon than in the drink.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Boo. Doing everybody else's dinner sucks.

Anyway. Bg 4.5 at 24hrs. Running on straight black decaf/water.

Did have a butter coffee around 2pm.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Still going strong. No hunger apart from around what would normally be dinner time. Distracted myself by going to Ikea.

On 4th cup of tea with cream, otherwise just water. BG has been slightly higher than I’d expect most of the day, but put that down to being under the weather. Now into the 3s however - 3.7 at what would have been post dinner reading and ketones 2.7 (On Call).

Hope you’re all doing well.