Book Corner.

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Had another look around the shelves and I’ve found these which might be of interest.
Robert Graves - Goodbye to All That
Siegfried Sassoon’s trilogy - Memoirs of a Foxhunting Man, Memoirs of an Infantry Officer and Sherston’s Progress

My bookshelves are a nightmare as there is no order at all.. so it’s difficult, if not impossible to find what I’m looking for .. but I’ve lots of different books on WWI, WWII as well as Vietnam so I’ll persevere to send you some more titles soon.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nearly finished Night over Water by Ken Follett. I've enjoyed this book but then I have a fascination with airplanes.

Next book on the list is the Tattooist of Auschwitz

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nearly finished Night over Water by Ken Follett. I've enjoyed this book but then I have a fascination with airplanes.

Next book on the list is the Tattooist of Auschwitz

Have you ever read Richard Bach? I especially loved Stranger to the Ground and A Gift of Wings. Back when I wanted a de Havilland Beaver or a Stinson Reliant for our skydiving club.

And Second Wind is one of my favorite D.i.c.k. Francis books. It's the man's name, BB, not a bad word. You don't have ti **** it out! :D

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever read Richard Bach? I especially loved Stranger to the Ground and A Gift of Wings. Back when I wanted a de Havilland Beaver or a Stinson Reliant for our skydiving club.

And Second Wind is one of my favorite D.i.c.k. Francis books. It's the man's name, BB, not a bad word. You don't have ti **** it out! :D

I havent read any of those books. I must admit I havnet heard of Richard Bach but do know of Mr D Francis. I will go and have a look on the second hand booksites to see if I can pick them up.

Thankyou for the recommendations :)

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I picked up a book called Alice Hartley's Happiness by Philippa Gregory. Definately not her usual style. I'm not enjoying it so it's going back to the library.

It's a bit hedonistic (think that's the right word) so be aware if you chose to read it.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I posted about Second Wind, the BB ****'d out Mr Francis's first name. lol.

Richard Bach also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read the Tattooist of Auschwitz in the past week.

Now reading The lady's Slipper by Deborah Swift. It's centred around a woman's obsession for a plant and is set just after Cromwell has been defeated. I actually think it's an OK book

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just finished 'Dead Memories' by Angela Marsons!
That is number ten in series, and getting better!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just found a fascinating book published in 1906, Annals of Athens, Georgia, 1801-1901. My father's family farmed in the next county over during some of that period, and it's interesting reading about the town founded as the site of what became the University of Georgia. For a few years now I've been thinking of moving there. It's an easy drive across the county line to do genealogical research.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Anyone have any good second hand booksites they use?

I usually use World of Books but often they dont have the book I want.

Any recommendations?
Try www.AddALL.com
It sources a huge number of different outlets and I have used it successgully many times. It starts with the cheapest at the top.

Reactions: wolfie11969

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
When I posted about Second Wind, the BB ****'d out Mr Francis's first name. lol.

Richard Bach also wrote Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I loved that book, so thanks for mentioning the others.

I'm reading H. Beam Piper's Little Fuzzy again - ancient sci fi, but I enjoy it. I'm also enjoying re-reading Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea series. Great series of books.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Isn't that George R.R. Martin - messed around rather a lot for TV as Game of Thrones?

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't that George R.R. Martin - messed around rather a lot for TV as Game of Thrones?

I'd say it is George R R Martin.

We're just re-watching the series at home in anticipation of the last season.

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought another 4 books yesterday in the local charity shops. I now probably have about 70 physical books to go with the about 30,000 for my ereader. Who thinks I'll never get through them?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First volume in a series of 4:

upload_2019-3-24_11-57-46.jpeg

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished Gone with the Wind

Also read Pleasing Mr Pepys by Deborah Swift. Good book if you like spy stories. This is set during the time of Charles II.

Now reading a book that was recommended to me by Peter Rimmer called Echoes from the Past. It's supposed to be sort of similar to Ken Follett's Kingsbridge series so I'll see how it goes. Only a few pages in so too early to say.

Ordered some more books from the bookstore, one of which is Scarlet the supposed follow-up to Gone with the Wind. Different authors so we shall see how it goes. Also ordered Munich by Robert Harris and 4 other books whose titles elude me at the present moment. I'm off out shopping today so I wonder how many more books I can possibly carry :shifty: