Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that's that bug in the list of types,

the OP's profile info says LCHF and T2.

Just checked the drop down list which has changed from two options of T2 to T2 & insulin dependant T2.

If you don't use insulin @Charis1213 , my apologies...

To my screen it reads as you do, hence my earlier comment regarding DVLC if you happen to hold a current restricted driving licence? Or for the benefit of anyone using insulin who does & thinking of skipping ameter use..

image.png

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
anyone else do this ?

I have done in the past. I became very complacent with the annual HbA1c always around the 45 mark. Then I got caught out and it bit me on the backside good and proper. In my case I have been surprised at how much stress and colds and flu can affect the numbers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just checked the drop down list which has changed from two options of T2 to T2 & insulin dependant T2.

If you don't use insulin @Charis1213 , my apologies...

To my screen it reads as you do, hence my earlier comment regarding DVLC if you happen to hold a current restricted driving licence? Or for the benefit of anyone using insulin who does & thinking of skipping ameter use..

View attachment 31783

The bug is still alive and well for some of us, me included. I never see "insulin dependent type 2" under avatars - even if they actually are ID T2. My drop down box has no option at all to chose insulin dependent. There are two duplicated Type 2 options. I cannot count how many times this has been brought up in the last few years - and it has been years - but nothing has been done.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I would think it OK if you don't take insulin or other BG reducing medications, In my case I test every day because the food I eat is not the only thing that affects my BG I also take prednisolone regularly which tends to throw a spanner in the works a bit. As it effect can be a bit variable.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my next Hba1c blood test end of this month which will be my 2nd since diagnosis 6 months ago. If it’s still on track (last one was 32) then I plan on dropping testing as often. I feel it’ll be a hard cycle to break as I’ve got quite addicted to testing constantly but like you say, when getting the same results, which I really do, it is costing me a small fortune to be seeing the same things. I think as long as you’re honest with yourself and are staying to whatever way of eating has been working for you then dropping testing as often is ok. If by not testing ‘treats or naughty stuff’ start creeping in then to me the testing has to come back to get a reality check on the impact that’s having on BG

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have my next Hba1c blood test end of this month which will be my 2nd since diagnosis 6 months ago. If it’s still on track (last one was 32) then I plan on dropping testing as often. I feel it’ll be a hard cycle to break as I’ve got quite addicted to testing constantly but like you say, when getting the same results, which I really do, it is costing me a small fortune to be seeing the same things. I think as long as you’re honest with yourself and are staying to whatever way of eating has been working for you then dropping testing as often is ok. If by not testing ‘treats or naughty stuff’ start creeping in then to me the testing has to come back to get a reality check on the impact that’s having on BG
Apart from testing, do you notice any secondary indicators of having too carby a meal(s)?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from testing, do you notice any secondary indicators of having too carby a meal(s)?
No I don’t. I didn’t have the typical symptoms of diabetes when diagnosed either. On the occasion I’ve tried a new meal or food type I don’t feel any different regardless. The meter has been my best friend in finding out what works for me. Without it I don’t believe my last Hba1c would have been so good which is why I get nervous about dropping the testing. But I do feel now like I have a set group of meals/ingredients that I know work fine and so going to brave not relying on it quite so often

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I don’t. I didn’t have the typical symptoms of diabetes when diagnosed either. On the occasion I’ve tried a new meal or food type I don’t feel any different regardless. The meter has been my best friend in finding out what works for me. Without it I don’t believe my last Hba1c would have been so good which is why I get nervous about dropping the testing. But I do feel now like I have a set group of meals/ingredients that I know work fine and so going to brave not relying on it quite so often
I do identify with that slant, I definitely do. If you don’t need it why use it. As you say, you know yourself if you have been a bit naughty and you are probably aware of what is going to affect you. My conversation with my GP revolved around that. He is David Unwin in disguise and was happy for me to continue low carbing and without a meter.

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I eat the same food all the time and been keeping a record of my numbers before and after food and they are almost the same daily , the only change is the morning numbers for some reason i am over 7 when wake but it levels out during the day and never goes high, so I am only going to test once a week to keep a check.

anyone else do this ?

So 4 years since this journey started i'm starting to relax my attitude to testing. I guess i'm moving on with my life. :) I now do a random test (1 or 2) per month just to ensure my bloods are stable. I live a low carb life but its important to relax the mind as the journey can be very intense, at least mine was for the first few years.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So 4 years since this journey started i'm starting to relax my attitude to testing. I guess i'm moving on with my life. :) I now do a random test (1 or 2) per month just to ensure my bloods are stable. I live a low carb life but its important to relax the mind as the journey can be very intense, at least mine was for the first few years.
I can totally identify with that.

Reactions: psignathus

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I don’t test at all @Charis1213 . I was never advised to. Except here on the forum.

My GP has kindly agreed to an HbA1c every 3 months for the time being to keep a check on me, to help keep me on the straight and narrow. In fact it was his suggestion.
Sometimes GPs are wrong!!!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes GPs are wrong!!!
They surely are. This one though is a little unusual in that he is a fully converted LCHF disciple. A Jedi warrior. With a light sabre forged out of pragmatism. :D

I tell you what though, next time I see him I am going to take him to task over him not ordering me to use a meter. Interesting to see what he says.

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I test less often now, but still have that nervous feeling when I do, e.g. this morning I had a 4.0 fbg, but my mind was saying I hope this is not high.

Reactions: Listlad and jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I continue to test though not the 6-7 times per day that I used to. I feel it is important to monitor trends as well as spot checks. Testing means peace of mind, I test then forget about it until next time. If and when my Diabetes changes I want to see the signs as early as possible and this is something that a reliance on A1c cannot do.

Reactions: Mbaker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I continue to test, and like @Guzzler , not the 6 or 7 times a day I used to (for a very long time). I just test maybe once a day, sometimes missing a day. However, I do use the Libre on a part time basis and will continue to do so. The HbA1c is a useful tool for diagnosis and for our nurses and GPs to see, but not as useful to us as we do not get to see the roller coaster levels, just a sort of average that isn't really an average, and then only once a year, twice a year if we are lucky, and 3 monthly at the beginning.