1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

I'm stopping testing

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Charis1213, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just checked the drop down list which has changed from two options of T2 to T2 & insulin dependant T2.

If you don't use insulin @Charis1213 , my apologies...

To my screen it reads as you do, hence my earlier comment regarding DVLC if you happen to hold a current restricted driving licence? Or for the benefit of anyone using insulin who does & thinking of skipping ameter use..

image.png

2. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have done in the past. I became very complacent with the annual HbA1c always around the 45 mark. Then I got caught out and it bit me on the backside good and proper. In my case I have been surprised at how much stress and colds and flu can affect the numbers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

The bug is still alive and well for some of us, me included. I never see "insulin dependent type 2" under avatars - even if they actually are ID T2. My drop down box has no option at all to chose insulin dependent. There are two duplicated Type 2 options. I cannot count how many times this has been brought up in the last few years - and it has been years - but nothing has been done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I would think it OK if you don't take insulin or other BG reducing medications, In my case I test every day because the food I eat is not the only thing that affects my BG I also take prednisolone regularly which tends to throw a spanner in the works a bit. As it effect can be a bit variable.

5. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have my next Hba1c blood test end of this month which will be my 2nd since diagnosis 6 months ago. If it’s still on track (last one was 32) then I plan on dropping testing as often. I feel it’ll be a hard cycle to break as I’ve got quite addicted to testing constantly but like you say, when getting the same results, which I really do, it is costing me a small fortune to be seeing the same things. I think as long as you’re honest with yourself and are staying to whatever way of eating has been working for you then dropping testing as often is ok. If by not testing ‘treats or naughty stuff’ start creeping in then to me the testing has to come back to get a reality check on the impact that’s having on BG

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

Apart from testing, do you notice any secondary indicators of having too carby a meal(s)?

7. Emma_369

Emma_369 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

No I don’t. I didn’t have the typical symptoms of diabetes when diagnosed either. On the occasion I’ve tried a new meal or food type I don’t feel any different regardless. The meter has been my best friend in finding out what works for me. Without it I don’t believe my last Hba1c would have been so good which is why I get nervous about dropping the testing. But I do feel now like I have a set group of meals/ingredients that I know work fine and so going to brave not relying on it quite so often

8. Listlad

I do identify with that slant, I definitely do. If you don’t need it why use it. As you say, you know yourself if you have been a bit naughty and you are probably aware of what is going to affect you. My conversation with my GP revolved around that. He is David Unwin in disguise and was happy for me to continue low carbing and without a meter.

9. sunnybouy77

sunnybouy77 Type 2 · Active Member

I just test on the weekends if I'm off my main diet or drinking

10. psignathus

psignathus Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So 4 years since this journey started i'm starting to relax my attitude to testing. I guess i'm moving on with my life. :) I now do a random test (1 or 2) per month just to ensure my bloods are stable. I live a low carb life but its important to relax the mind as the journey can be very intense, at least mine was for the first few years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Listlad

I can totally identify with that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes GPs are wrong!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Listlad

They surely are. This one though is a little unusual in that he is a fully converted LCHF disciple. A Jedi warrior. With a light sabre forged out of pragmatism. :D

I tell you what though, next time I see him I am going to take him to task over him not ordering me to use a meter. Interesting to see what he says.

#33 Listlad, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  14. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I test less often now, but still have that nervous feeling when I do, e.g. this morning I had a 4.0 fbg, but my mind was saying I hope this is not high.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I continue to test though not the 6-7 times per day that I used to. I feel it is important to monitor trends as well as spot checks. Testing means peace of mind, I test then forget about it until next time. If and when my Diabetes changes I want to see the signs as early as possible and this is something that a reliance on A1c cannot do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I continue to test, and like @Guzzler , not the 6 or 7 times a day I used to (for a very long time). I just test maybe once a day, sometimes missing a day. However, I do use the Libre on a part time basis and will continue to do so. The HbA1c is a useful tool for diagnosis and for our nurses and GPs to see, but not as useful to us as we do not get to see the roller coaster levels, just a sort of average that isn't really an average, and then only once a year, twice a year if we are lucky, and 3 monthly at the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook