Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone so I am newly diagnosed t2, my main goal is to of course get my bg to normal range and lose weight, I am currently doing slimming world which is working very well for me, In 4 weeks I have lost 9.5 pounds which I am very pleased with.
I know slimming world can be a very high carb diet so I was intrigued to see how many carbs I’m actually eating now so I went on the my fitness pal app and added everything I’ve eaten today. I was quite surprised as I really thought the carbs would have been much higher..:

Protein (24%) - 87 grams
Fat (44%) - 69g
Carbs (32%) - 116g

Calories: 1,457

Would you say this is too high in carbs?, I personally wouldn’t say it is as they say a typical western diet consists between 225-335 grans if carbs a day,
I know a lot of people in here do Keto and eat very little carb, but also noticed some have a lot more.

My carbs were mainly from fresh veg, salad, fruit and I did have wholewheat pasta for dinner, but I weighed it out as a one person serving so I didn’t over eat.....(most of the times I check my bg after whole wheat pasta I don’t get spikes and by 2hrs it never goes past 2 Mmol
I also know I used to eat a lot more carbs before being told I may be diabetic as I used to eat big portions of white pasta, now I wouldn’t touch it and will alway portion control.

I don’t want to go too low carb as of yet as I really want slimming workd to work and I know this will take a little time to figure out as if course the weight won’t come off overnight.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone so I am newly diagnosed t2, my main goal is to of course get my bg to normal range and lose weight, I am currently doing slimming world which is working very well for me, In 4 weeks I have lost 9.5 pounds which I am very pleased with.
I know slimming world can be a very high carb diet so I was intrigued to see how many carbs I’m actually eating now so I went on the my fitness pal app and added everything I’ve eaten today. I was quite surprised as I really thought the carbs would have been much higher..:

Protein (24%) - 87 grams
Fat (44%) - 69g
Carbs (32%) - 116g

Would you say this is too high in carbs?, I personally wouldn’t say it is as they say a typical western diet consists between 225-335 grans if carbs a day,
I know a lot of people in here do Keto and eat very little carb, but also noticed some have a lot more.

My carbs were mainly from fresh veg, salad, fruit and I did have wholewheat pasta for dinner, but I weighed it out as a one person serving so I didn’t over eat.....(most of the times I check my bg after whole wheat pasta I don’t get spikes and by 2hrs it never goes past 2 Mmol
I also know I used to eat a lot more carbs before being told I may be diabetic as I used to eat big portions of white pasta, now I wouldn’t touch it and will alway portion control.

I don’t want to go too low carb as of yet as I really want slimming workd to work and I know this will take a little time to figure out as if course the weight won’t come off overnight.
Do you use a bg meter? It really is the only way to see what foods your body can handle, diabetes wise.
yes I do, I usually check meals 2 and 3/4 hrs post meal, but just wanted to know if that’s an ok amount of carbs

Last edited by a moderator:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yes I do, I usually check meals 2 and 3/4 hrs post meal, but just wanted to know if that’s an ok amount of carbs
What are your actual numbers like before eating and 2 hours after? - a rise of less than 2 is good but the actual numbers matter as well :)

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your actual numbers like before eating and 2 hours after? - a rise of less than 2 is good but the actual numbers matter as well :)

So for the past weeks fasting has been 5.9-6.1
Usually 2 hrs post meal it’s between 7 and 8.....,

When I was first. Told I may have diabetes my numbers were 7/8.4 (fasting) 4 weeks ago, so I think my weightliss and being more aware of my food is helping get lower, I know it’s still a little high.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What number calories does SW recommend you have per day?

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What number calories does SW recommend you have per day?

With slimming workd they don’t actually reccomend calorie counting, they said to have a third of your plate with speed foods which is veggies and fruits like salad leaves, broccoli, tomato, berries, carrots....starchy foods are classed a free foods so you can have as much as you like as long you have at least a third speed on your plate, I usually aim for a quarter of my plate of things like potatoes, rice, quinoa

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your weight loss so far. Personally I’ve lost six and a half stone by just counting carbs, since my type 2 diagnosis in May 17. I haven’t bothered at all with calories. So I wouldn’t entertain a quarter of my plate being filled with potatoes! But you need to find what works for you for both your blood sugars and weight loss.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your weight loss so far. Personally I’ve lost six and a half stone by just counting carbs, since my type 2 diagnosis in May 17. I haven’t bothered at all with calories. So I wouldn’t entertain a quarter of my plate being filled with potatoes! But you need to find what works for you for both your blood sugars and weight loss.
Thanks, I don’t usually focus on calories, more so to how many carbs I’m having..,how many carbs can you eat a day now you’ve lost a lot of weight,well done to you too, losing weight is sure hard

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I don’t usually focus on calories, more so to how many carbs I’m having..,how many carbs can you eat a day now you’ve lost a lot of weight,well done to you too, losing weight is sure hard
I started at 100g/day but over the first six months I gradually reduced to staying under 50g. I generally eat between 30 - 50g per day now which keeps my HbA1c in the mid 30s and my weight loss continues, albeit very slowly. I have another stone to lose to get to the ‘healthy BMI’ zone.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started at 100g/day but over the first six months I gradually reduced to staying under 50g. I generally eat between 30 - 50g per day now which keeps my HbA1c in the mid 30s and my weight loss continues, albeit very slowly. I have another stone to lose to get to the ‘healthy BMI’ zone.

What made you reduce you carbs? Could your body still handle up to 100g?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What made you reduce you carbs? Could your body still handle up to 100g?
Both my blood sugars and weight loss plateaued when there was more improvement needed. I’m happy where I am now with regard to carb level. So long as my weight loss continues and my HbA1c stays steady I’ll maintain this level for the foreseeable future.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
In answer to your question, I would say yes the carbs are high. From the experiences I have witnessed on this site, those who control with carbs over 100 grams have to exercise well to get comparative reversal numbers to those on less (which makes sense). The method of low calories can work in the longer term, but you may have to eat a third less of what you started on and so some exercise, as the stats show a 95% failure rate - that's the downside. I really hope you are in the 5%.

Maybe to stack the odds in your favour dabble with replacing the starchy items for lower GI foods e.g. wheat pasta for courgette spaghetti - that sort of thing. Congratulations on your weight loss, if you can lose around 15 kg you should see some great numbers regarding your diabetes.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have to watch my carbs and cals. There are some good guide books and apps to support you.
I'm on insulin injections and I'm still losing weight. I've lost 10kgs (22lbs) since nov'18. I'm doing 800cals but swopping some of those carbs with protein. To fend off huge carb (sugary milkshakes) evoking hunger.
My diet is basic but no gimmic fastfood substitutes. I love cauliflower as a substitute though.

We are all different. Some people don't have to be so strict so easily lose weight.
I've always been an adding kind of diabetic, even before insulin injections.
Mind u jacket potato encouragement or brown rice/wholemeal pasta advice was a big boo boo. What a waste of good dieting years I've had. Never mind, it could be worse those carbs could have harmed me but any diabetic complications have only peeked at me after my burn out, a few years ago. On starting as a member here it helped understand my burn out and its dangers.
I'm facing bariatric surgery soon. Once again due to realising from this forum that my old diabetes needs drastic longterm intervention, not a few months of better diet then I'll reverse my diabetes; again.

I hope my fight with my diabetes encourages others to stay in remission. As it gets harder and harder as I get older and my body gets used to the insulin which has save me from infertility and similiar heartache.

I'm hoping the endo will start me on basal insulin (with metformin if bareable) immediately after my op but as more weight loss I can get rid of the need for all insulin. However even I'm now wondering how because I'm taking 73-77 triple strength units so equivalent to 210ish units of basal insulin.
But I will give it my best shot. So far very little movement on improved less units needed now settled on 800cals diet.
Someone else most likely will have been able to stop their insulin but I'm hugely insulin resistant due to immobility at times of agony from nipped nerves in my neck and pelvis.

I'm excited to see where my operation will lead me too with my determination to fight my IR. A big job though.
I'm thankful many don't have such a big a fight to conquer. However a fight it will be. I don't dumb down anyone's size of fight. I only dumb down the ignorance of the variant in size.

Many type2s know it's a fight but only a few need to march alongside another who has effectively fought war after war and has deep battle scars. Physically and emotionally. I'm scarred but I'm still able to fight due to once having a very muscular body. Underneath my fat.
Now soft muscle tissue has to be burnt off but not much energy after fighting pain everyday.
Pain caused by nipped nerves and stiffness setting in once painkillers wear off. Exercise is great but it's the after math that leaves me feeling battered.

I bet after reading this you will think 'my god... I'm so lucky'.
Yep. You are. ;)

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Molly,

I keep my numbers down with around 75/80 g of carbs over a day, I usually start the day around 5.7 and don’t normally go above 6.7 after a meal. I, like you, used to eat 300 g of carbs a day, so it’s a big shock to change but worth it. Maybe try to drop a little more and see if your figures improve. Well done on the weight loss

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Well done on that weight loss there Molly! I can only echo what the others have said and honestly I did the same, lost a heck of a lot of weight and my numbers launched right into non-T2 in the eyes of the NHS, for now just keep on monitoring and seeing what your body can take. It's the glorious tapestry that we are all different.