What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, my blood glucose started at 434 last week via lab work results. I was shocked but it explained my extreme fatigue, thirst and blurry vision. After starting insulin on tuesday, my One touch Vero device is reading 304-340 wed, thu and this morning. I'm not sure what to expect how long this will take to go down.

I eat a healthy diet, vigilant in avoiding sugar and limiting carbs.
I don't have anything to account for this huge spike as far as my diet; I can only assume it's a lack of exercise and stress?
Edited: Should also note I was checked into the hospital for 1/2 day on Tuesday due to those results, along with insulin injection and self-testing training. Seeing my endocrinologist for further care and discussion this coming Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reactions: philchap1

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, my blood glucose started at 434 last week via lab work results. I was shocked but it explained my extreme fatigue, thirst and blurry vision. After starting insulin on tuesday, my One touch Vero device is reading 304-340 wed, thu and this morning. I'm not sure what to expect how long this will take to go down.

I don't have anything to account for this huge spike as far as my diet; I can only assume it's a lack of exercise and stress?
Hi Veronica wondering where are you based...on those measurements I'm assuming it's outside the UK?...here we tend to measure our blood sugars in % or mmol/L...on the assumption your BG is recorded in mg/dl that would roughly convert to a 16.9 in our system...that is high but can be managed with the right regime...wondering how long since your diagnosis?...were you started on insulin immediately or is that a response to increasing blood sugars...when I was diagnosed my blood sugars were at 17.4 now I have an average of 5.7 so with the right regime we can make a positive difference.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Edited: Should also note I was checked into the hospital for 1/2 day on Tuesday due to those results, along with insulin injection and self-testing training. Seeing my endocrinologist for further care and discussion this coming Tuesday.

Hi @Veronica Wright .

Welcome to the thread...:)

Not on insulin myself, so can't say re that, but I've found stress raised my Bag's.

Exercise as I far as I know, makes some difference, but not as much as the diet does.

Sounds like you have a good handle on the food front.

Assuming by scores, your states.?

Sure others more knowledgeable will give better comments.

Reactions: HarryBeau

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Good morning all. Haven't tested/posted on here for a while but have been keeping in touch with everyone's progress every day.:) Went for my 6 monthly HbA1c blood test on Monday. Results came back today as 59-"rising and above ideal target range"- with a note to discuss increase in medication at my follow up diabetes appointment on 2/4/19. I'm not surprised as my stress levels have been through he roof lately and my slipped disc has restricted my exercise but I really don't want to increase my medication. I'm already taking 1000mg Metformin (Sukkarto) and 2x 80mg of Gliclizide a day along with medication for other things. The DN says that my LCHF diet is good so I don't know what else I can do. Since my back pain has eased I have started to walk more but am not yet up to more strenuous exercise. On the +ve side all the other areas tested were OK. (Liver, kidneys,cholesterol,thyroid). Apologies for the long post.:sorry: Just feeling out of control with lots of things at the moment and needed to let off a bit of steam.:arghh: Enjoy the rest of Friday and have a good weekend everyone whatever you are planning and wherever you are. :joyful:

Reactions: DJC3 and philchap1

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good morning all. Haven't tested/posted on here for a while but have been keeping in touch with everyone's progress every day.:) Went for my 6 monthly HbA1c blood test on Monday. Results came back today as 59-"rising and above ideal target range"- with a note to discuss increase in medication at my follow up diabetes appointment on 2/4/19. I'm not surprised as my stress levels have been through he roof lately and my slipped disc has restricted my exercise but I really don't want to increase my medication. I'm already taking 1000mg Metformin (Sukkarto) and 2x 80mg of Gliclizide a day along with medication for other things. The DN says that my LCHF diet is good so I don't know what else I can do. Since my back pain has eased I have started to walk more but am not yet up to more strenuous exercise. On the +ve side all the other areas tested were OK. (Liver, kidneys,cholesterol,thyroid). Apologies for the long post.:sorry: Just feeling out of control with lots of things at the moment and needed to let off a bit of steam.:arghh: Enjoy the rest of Friday and have a good weekend everyone whatever you are planning and wherever you are. :joyful:

Morening, could possibly be afternoon.
You must be aware of the usual advice, if you feel inclined follow it. It might be worth your while posting your morning blood sugars on this thread to give you an idea of your blood sugar trends. Also help with motivation.
Sorry can't say anything else, I've used up my sane allowance for today.
Good luck.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Morening, could possibly be afternoon.
You must be aware of the usual advice, if you feel inclined follow it. It might be worth your while posting your morning blood sugars on this thread to give you an idea of your blood sugar trends. Also help with motivation.
Sorry can't say anything else, I've used up my sane allowance for today.
Good luck.
Thanks for your reply, alf_Josiah. Used to post my fbs on here but became demoralized as they were always higher than I'd hoped so it had the opposite effect. I've temporarily stopped testing every morning and only test when I feel a bit "wobbly". I was doing well and had my medication reduced due to diet and exercise including aqua aerobics twice/ week but since injuring my back and ongoing stress things have gone pear shaped.:banghead: I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. :)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wouldn't call that a long post and certainly enough going on in your life to affect bg levels. Since DN is on board with LCHF seems as though you may be in the hands of the good guys. Please keep us informed if you feel able and don't totally set your face against anything before a good discussion on 4th. Best wishes and hope the slipped disc pain eases.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply, alf_Josiah. Used to post my fbs on here but became demoralized as they were always higher than I'd hoped so it had the opposite effect. I've temporarily stopped testing every morning and only test when I feel a bit "wobbly". I was doing well and had my medication reduced due to diet and exercise including aqua aerobics twice/ week but since injuring my back and ongoing stress things have gone pear shaped.:banghead: I really appreciate your taking the time to respond. :)
sending big hugs dogslife xx you will get back to where you need to be it just takes time x

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7.1 this morning. That is no way to end the week! @ianpspurs may I apply for a weekend at Camp Magnolia? I am interested in the test-free program of dawn runs along the Prime Meridian. If the goat-wrestling program is anything like bulldogging I am up for that too.
@SaskiaKC Meridian line marker which dogs and I pass daily. Planted by my Uncle as Chairman of Parish Council. (He now lays within a yard of his brother, my dad, both within 10 yards of their parents and 1 set of grandparents in the local Baptist church yard - that's what we call a close family. I am a more laid back Anglican)

Attachments

• MeridianPlaque.jpg
    MeridianPlaque.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 117

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wouldn't call that a long post and certainly enough going on in your life to affect bg levels. Since DN is on board with LCHF seems as though you may be in the hands of the good guys. Please keep us informed if you feel able and don't totally set your face against anything before a good discussion on 4th. Best wishes and hope the slipped disc pain eases.
Thanks, ianpspurs. My stress levels are sooo high and unrelenting atm they must be contributing to my levels. I like to be have some degree of control and in a position to make things better for people and both have not been possible for some time. Just got to keep doing the best I can do. My back pain isn't as debilitating as it was so fingers crossed I'll be able to get more exercise and that may help. Thanks again for bothering to respond.:)

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my slipped disc has restricted my exercise but I really don't want to increase my medication. I
Hi dogslife it really is up to you whether you agree to take an increase in medication...the rise could be the stress & I think we know that anything that is painful is certainly likely to increase our BG's...you have time to think about it before your appointment...then discuss it with the DN...she ought to take account of your concerns re: the proposed increase...I'm sorry about your slipped disc...hoping you get some respite from it soon.

Reactions: ziggy_w and jjraak

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @dogslife, do you know what the root cause is for your stress? Is it the pain of the slipped disc or something else?
Whatever it is, once your know, you can do something about it.
It may be helpful do some breathing exercises - take some time out of your day for yourself, get comfortable, close your eyes and just breath.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That's very high - I assume you are American, most of the English speaking world uses mmol/L - Americans are the exception using mg/dL. To convert to mmol/L you'd divide by 18, 434 = 24.1 mmol/L, 304 = 16.8 mmol/L.

I assume they've checked you for hidden infections (including dental ones) as they can push numbers up higher.

Have you had a GAD antibody test? There are people who are misdiagnosed as Type 2 who really have LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults) which is like Type 1 in that they will eventually will need insulin and it is autoimmune (slower moving than Type 1). Initially they look like Type 2 but eventually their 'honeymoon' comes to an end and insulin is required. Many doctors consider LADA to be a form of Type 1. Many LADAs continue to eat low carb. Medications that some Type 2s take are ineffective for LADA and some of those meds shorten the honeymoon period. There are some people with LADA on the forums and information on this website. I raise this possibility because it should be checked when a Type 2 suddenly starts getting high numbers. (Many doctors don't check GAD antibodies when they diagnose Type 2.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@SaskiaKC Meridian line marker which dogs and I pass daily. Planted by my Uncle as Chairman of Parish Council. (He now lays within a yard of his brother, my dad, both within 10 yards of their parents and 1 set of grandparents in the local Baptist church yard - that's what we call a close family. I am a more laid back Anglican)

Thank you, @ianpspurs . Hard to believe it's now been so long since the millennium. Your post reminded me of the Baptist churchyard bout an hour west of here where my father's parents and other relatives are buried. His mother's parents helped to establish that church. There is another churchyard about an hour south of here where my mother's parents and others of her family are. I am technically an Anglican (Episcopalian) myself.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Right now I couldn't be more shocked if my BG meter had grew fangs a bitten me 17.6 is the highest level I have ever had in the past 2 years yes I cast caution to the wind and had a Chinese take away but only one third of a sweet and sour chicken meal but come on last time same meal exactly blood sugar just nudged 9.0 nasty.