Who eats processed foods?

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
New Data out and on the news saying how bad processed foods are, and how bad salt is. The grain thing and fruit brought back on the table again. They are saying that bad diets are killing people more than smoking or drinking. I was wondering how many on here eat Bacon, ham, Salami etc, and how many stay away from them.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
This is the Lancet thing that has a thread (put up this morning). I eat bacon, ham, all kinds of salaamis and I salt my food to taste. We've heard all about the 'healthy whole grains, fruits, nuts' before as well as the 'red meat will make you explode' bunkum.

Reactions: 1spuds and Robbity

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, ham salami and I add salt to coffee and tea!...Amazing Im still alive really..
More anti-meat propaganda promoted by the BBC.. even some of the dietitians are saying what rubbish the study was!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds and derry60

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat bacon and lots of it, and about 3 high meat sausages a week. I don't enjoy ham so don't eat it and dislike salami. I salt my food. The sodium levels in my blood tests are within the standard range. In fact, exactly half way along the range. My blood pressure is normal.

Reactions: 1spuds and derry60

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's patent nonsense: if you don't believe me, eat a plate of bacon and eggs then take a blood reading; same time the next day, enjoy a healthy, life-giving vegan mango fruit salad then take a blood reading. The first one will barely move your meter; the second will look like a cricket score.

Reactions: 1spuds

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard of a child killed by being fed highly salted potato powder rather than proper but more expensive weaning food - but it was not given water when thirsty so as to save on nappies....
In normal circumstances, however, high salt is not a problem unless there is a malfunction in the kidneys.
When cutting back on salt on doctors advice, I had the most excruciating cramps day and night. I started to put a small pinch or salt in my coffee each morning and they went away. The dr did not believe that low salt could have caused cramps, nor that the salted coffee could have cured them.
Fine, I said.
I suspect that a more detailed examination of the foods being eaten would have thrown up more suspects for early death, and more reasons for an extended lifespan.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's patent nonsense: if you don't believe me, eat a plate of bacon and eggs then take a blood reading; same time the next day, enjoy a healthy, life-giving vegan mango fruit salad then take a blood reading. The first one will barely move your meter; the second will look like a cricket score.

Unfortunately as a type 1 both these options give me a cricket score. Both will require insulin.

M

Member496333

I do my very best to avoid everything that has been processed. I guess specifically anything that has more than one ingredient. And processed includes “whole” grains that are not whole at all but are, as an absolute minimum, cracked open so that we can have a go at trying to digest them and absorb the gargantuan quantities of glucose inside.

Reactions: 1spuds

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unfortunately as a type 1 both these options give me a cricket score. Both will require insulin.
Fair enough: I'm surprised to hear sugary fruit and meat have the same effect, but type 1 is a bit outside my ken- all I know about Type 1 comes from Dr Bernstein's recommendations. Good luck with it, and good health!

Reactions: Debbiedodah

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I simmer bacon in hot water for a minute or so before frying, removing salt and other soluble preservatives.
It is a family thing and we are notoriously long lived.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Would eggs and bacon require the same amount of insulin as mango?

As I don't eat mango I am unsure, if I did, it would only be a small amount, so the same as @becca59 Insulin for both.
For me, scrambled eggs and bacon would require 1 to 1,1/2 units of insulin.