Vegan diet no longer control my Glucose level

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
That sounds scrummy and very quick!

At the moment I'm loving scrambled tofu with grilled tomatoes and fried mushrooms, on a slice of fresh crusty bread. (My husband bakes most days). The tofu is coloured with turmeric and usually we add chopped spring onions, and add some spice or flavouring. SOmetimes though, I just add a dollop of Flora Buttery Vegan and let it melt....

Reactions: Marie 2

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I've just realised that my lunch is actually a breakfast, but then again I've been known to have breakfast for dinner so it's as broad as it's long.

Can we branch out to another thread (although I have no idea where we put it? I need recommendations for non-spray deodorants. I have the activated charcoal balm one at the moment but I tend to dig far too much out of the pot and it's wasteful.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'll post in General Chat.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

One of my favorite quick meals that I eat for most my lunches is a bowl of mixed veggies, I use a whole small bag of frozen veggies of my choice, right now that's a mix of pea pods, broccoli, water chestnuts and carrots and I add cashews with either tofu chunks, tempeh, or seasoned seitan, squeeze some lemon and Braggs Aminos and it's simple, easy and filling!
You can add vegan butter or vegan gravy, or vegan cheese to give it a totally different flavor.
It's not high calorie or high carb and very healthy.

I'm going to email this to my husband, so that he prints it and pops it in our "Eat Soon" pile. I really want this with cashews and crispy fried tofu. Maybe with a little smoky sauce stirred in.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Now I'm getting hungry lol!!!! I love to sprinkle turmeric on my scrambled tofu too! It adds color and is really good for you. I also love scrambled tofu with mushrooms, onions, green pepper, and celery.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I just got the Bosh! recipe book - there are some gorgeous, hugely mouthwatering ideas in there. Quite often though, a big plateful of veggies with something to make it interesting is the perfect meal.

Roasted cauliflower florets tonight, with vegan cheese grated on top and left to melt down for a moment. Gonna serve it up with marinaded tofu chunks cooked with a stir fry. And some fried onions (we use that Pure sunflower spread for cooking - works well) on the side.

MsMelis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For fats I use vegan butter and cheese, also peanut oil and rapeseed oil. My diabetes consultant is more than happy with all my bloods. On her advice I take flaxseed oil capsules to get my Omega group vitamins, and sunshine (I live in a sunny area of the UK) provides my vitamin D. She's happy, I'm happy. I get eczema but it's part of the hayfever/eczema/allergy group of problems that I have.

Tonight I had Naturli spread (not-butter) on my spicy beanburger bun (I get the bottom half only), and a slice of not-cheese together with vegannaise (can't actually taste the difference between that and regular mayo) on my huge mixed salad. I don't feel like I missed out on anything, and certainly I'm fit, strong and healthy (other than age related things).

I have a book of keto recipes for vegans - there are loads of them - it's great and the recipes are household favourites now.

Hello WuTwo, I would like the book recommendations. I’m so, so sick now of eating meat, eggs and dairy I’m thinking of trying low fat vegan.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'd heartily recommend the two books by the Bosh men. One is just called Bosh!

https://amazon.co.uk/BOSH-Recipes-A...963628&s=gateway&sprefix=vegan,aps,188&sr=8-1

and the new one is Bish, Bash, Bosh. They are loaded with gorgeous recipes for things we actually eat - tofu, jackfruit, beans, legumes, nuts. The recipes work, are incredibly tasty and are the the sort of amounts that fill up a hungry person!

https://amazon.co.uk/s?k=bish+bash+bosh&i=stripbooks&crid=3AOBSAQIWLQK4&sprefix=bish+%2Cstripbooks%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

The next link is to Deliciously Ella

https://amazon.co.uk/Deliciously-Ella-Plant-Based-Cookbook-cookbook/dp/1473639212/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3AOBSAQIWLQK4&keywords=bish+bash+bosh&qid=1554963743&s=books&sprefix=bish+%2Cstripbooks%2C168&sr=1-4

Reactions: MsMelis

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think the main thing to get over is that feeling that something is missing from the plate! Don't serve food up so that there's a gap where the "meat should be". Use an extra veg, or pile a mixed salad there so that the plate has no gaps.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started vegan diet 6 months ago (with Metformin max dose), glucose was OK ~7.5 AiC 6.7
Now my glucose is going up, I reduced my carb to ~100gr/day, but glucose still going up.
I would like to avoid going back to insulin.
What Can I do?

Hi NickCanto, you havnt posted for a while. I'm interested on how you are getting on.
Did you find away and solved the problem of rising Blood Glucose. As you are trying to avoid returning to insulin.

MsMelis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd heartily recommend the two books by the Bosh men. One is just called Bosh!

https://amazon.co.uk/BOSH-Recipes-Amazing-Fastest-Selling-Cookbook/dp/000826290X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1VAG7ITK7U6TU&keywords=vegan+cookbook&qid=1554963628&s=gateway&sprefix=vegan,aps,188&sr=8-1

and the new one is Bish, Bash, Bosh. They are loaded with gorgeous recipes for things we actually eat - tofu, jackfruit, beans, legumes, nuts. The recipes work, are incredibly tasty and are the the sort of amounts that fill up a hungry person!

https://amazon.co.uk/s?k=bish+bash+bosh&i=stripbooks&crid=3AOBSAQIWLQK4&sprefix=bish+%2Cstripbooks%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

The next link is to Deliciously Ella

https://amazon.co.uk/Deliciously-Ella-Plant-Based-Cookbook-cookbook/dp/1473639212/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3AOBSAQIWLQK4&keywords=bish+bash+bosh&qid=1554963743&s=books&sprefix=bish+%2Cstripbooks%2C168&sr=1-4
Thank you so much!! I'm ordering this now.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much!! I'm ordering this now.

Do you measure your blood sugar levels? If so please carry on doing so when trying out this new way of eating. You may be surprised by the results. If you don't I would suggest getting a meter and measuring with your current way of eating and then your new way. The OP of this thread has noted some not good side effects of the change.

MsMelis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you measure your blood sugar levels? If so please carry on doing so when trying out this new way of eating. You may be surprised by the results. If you don't I would suggest getting a meter and measuring with your current way of eating and then your new way. The OP of this thread has noted some not good side effects of the change.

Hello Bulkbiker - Yes I do. Well, I’ve been around the houses as they say with this topic. I controlled the sugars well with very low carb two years ago BUT it hurt my kidneys and was impossible for me to sustain long term. So my eating has returned to the unhelpful mushy middle ground. I am inclined towards vegetarianism which is why I am contemplating giving it a go.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Bulkbiker - Yes I do. Well, I’ve been around the houses as they say with this topic. I controlled the sugars well with very low carb two years ago BUT it hurt my kidneys and was impossible for me to sustain long term. So my eating has returned to the unhelpful mushy middle ground. I am inclined towards vegetarianism which is why I am contemplating giving it a go.
Good luck but watch those levels.. !

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
in what way did it hurt your kidneys? i hope they have recovered now. What did you find impossible about it? I dont do very low carb, but around 80g a day seems to work for me.

I am also interested in your result with whole plant low fat, as its something I have not tried yet. I havent heard from anyone with details of their blood sugar figures etc so your info would be helpful, if you dont mind sharing.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'd share mine but I really don't think they'd be all that relevant for you because I dose adjust my insulin which makes the results meaningless for you. Sorry about that.

Hopefully a T2 veggie or vegan will pop along.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP is T2 on meds wanted to avoid going back onto insulin. Had success keto, changed to veganism, his blood glucose started to increase. I wonder if he went back to his original diet, as it didn't work for him.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP is T2 on meds wanted to avoid going back onto insulin. Had success keto, changed to veganism, his blood glucose started to increase. I wonder if he went back to his original diet, as it didn't work for him.
He’s not been around for a month so we can but wonder

Reactions: pixie1