1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegan diet no longer control my Glucose level

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by NickCanto, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

There used to be a standing joke amongst skippers of racing yachts about throwing raw meat to the winchmen - the strongest, fastest, hardiest and most athletic of the crewmen. They were not called the lions for no reason.

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

I am a vegan and ate a really healthy diet when my sugars first started going up, also swimming 60 laps a day in a gym pool. My sugars just kept getting worse, I would eat a salad and have a 250 reading. It turns out I was a type 1. You might get checked, you might have to have insulin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mbaker

Mbaker Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Some might like to replay /download or watch plus 1 of "Save Money Lose Weight" ITV to see what a Keto did against others. I won't spoil it....all I will say is for once the meals looked like proper Keto, the programme is not finished yet, Keto was not trash talked or misrepresented and they even mentioned Ketosis and measured with Ketostix.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sangre

Sangre Type 2 · Member

I’ve found beautiful control on Keto/Paleo at under 50 gems carbs/day! BS at pre or no diabetes levels!

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Yes. I watched it. I admit I was gobsmacked the keto diet got such excellent publicity, for once.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Janbleakley

Janbleakley · Newbie

Hello, I am vegan, but type 1 diabetic. I went low carb in December 2018 on advise of my dietician. My a1c was 8 in December, 7.1 in January and now 6.8. I do eat fat with my breakfast, she said it will keep my sugars more stable, so I have low carb toast with tofu and mushrooms, or vegan cheese toastie, avocado and tomato or mushroom on toast, or chai seed pudding with berries and coconut yoghurt. I have also lost 3 kilos, 71 to 68 kgs.
    Have you discussed this with a dietician. Hope you can resolve this. I am vegan for ethical reasons.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. WuTwo

WuTwo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Jan and Marie - good to see you.

Thanks for an additional brekkie idea Jan - I haven't tried chai pud with coconut yoghurt. I'll give it a whirl with some blueberries for breakfast :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is cardio vascular disease in my family down some generations. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I had all the markers heading towards that direction, they where highly elevated. I did develop gestational diabetes, I was inform what I should eat. Nothing outside that, they didn't inform about diabetes at all, never informed what my A1c was at that time.

I did tons of independent research. This did not include studies of different diets.
    My research was right down to what the whole body needed to function, down to the smallest detail. Talk about in-depth research. This empowered me to accumulate forp my own ideahow to tackle my diabetes.

I found this website, which verified my thoughts, which was High fat low carb. This helped me decide to completely Change my diet, taking into consideration o family medical history.

I used myself as a guinea pig, my first HBA1c test was my baseline. Against the advise of my doctor and diabetes nurse, I bought a meter and went high fat and low carb. My next tests was 3 months later.

My HbA1c and full blood profile was done again. Everything was normal. My A1c has reduced even further after 6 years.
    The only thing I have to put up and deal with, is high blood pressure which I have had for years, totally unrelated to my diabetes. It doesn't what i do, i will never reduce it.

I have found that many of these studies are corrupt and flawed. Anyone can claim all sorts. Many of them can be dismissed.

Sorry about the long post.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. kokhongw

kokhongw I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you considered adding some intermittent fasting? Some of us include that even while on keto diet just to keep things in check...

10. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really couldn't see it either: was a post removed?

11. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well said

• Like Like x 1
  12. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

no.

13. pixie1

pixie1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All I have seen is very supportive posts, on this thread, as always fantastic advice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. lucylocket61

We may, or may not agree on carb levels in our diets, or even if carb intake is good or bad for our health - but eating fats as part of our diet seems uncontested as vital. I feel concerned that some are saying we dont need fats. I welcome a discussion on this and am going to start one so as not to derail this thread.

Mind you, the idea of a vegan diet with no fats is part of this discussion, i suppose.

15. Marie 2

I have to agree with you on this one. There is a group of people on this site that go after anyone that posts anything pro vegan half the time. I have experience with that. Other people have commented on it too. It is different to actually just support a way of eating, I don't mind that, but they literally if you say you are vegan, will just start saying how wrong you are a good deal of the time, someone actually posted a picture of a steak saying this is my dinner, thinking it was amusing after a comment about being a vegan and if there is a demand for vegan meals it's nice if it is offered. If you want to eat steak fine, if you want to post a picture of your lunch fine, but it had no bearing on my comments or the comments except?????

There is a diet plan out there for vegans with diabetes that is high carb low fat, a person on another blog follows it and it is purposely used to make you more insulin sensitive, she eats 300 carbs a day and she only uses 23 units of insulin a day and is type 1. She was low carb for years and loved it but developed heart issues and switched and says she feels much better, more energy etc.

But I'm a vegan and I have an A1C of 6.4. I am type 1 and was misdiagnosed at first. I do about 120 carbs a day, not because I try to eat lower carb, I just don't usually eat a ton of food period as I am retired now. But I have been a vegan for 35 years and a vegetarian for over 50 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. lucylocket61

I think the situation and possible consequences of a plant based vegan diet are different for diabetics on insulin. Type 2's not on insulin can only control or reduce their HbA1c by controlling their carb intake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marie 2

Mastering Diabetes is mostly a program for type 2 diabetics, it’s designed to help with insulin resistance, whether you’re type 1 or type 2. I have not tried it, so I don’t know anything specific about it. But it’s a low fat, plant based diet. I just know she has done much better on it since her heart issue and she eats about 300 carbs a day and only takes 23 units of insulin which is amazing to me for that many carbs. Her last A1C was 5.5. It is a restricted diet to certain food groups.

18. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Could we please be mindful of the title of this thread, and the original poster's requirement.

The thread is about the member finding he has blood sugar level challenges when following a vegan diet, and therefore is looking for support and ideas around that.

This thread is not aboutwho says or said what on other threads at other times. Where a member sees, what they feel to be an inappropriate post - whether relating to veganism, or anything else, their courses of action are to Report it, using the Report button below every single post on every thread, or to politely challenge the post.

Dietary matters can be sensitive, and likely moreso where a metabolic disorder is in place, meaning dietary adjustments can be necessary, even if sometimes with reluctance.

Please respect other people's dietary choices. Where a counter-point or view is offered up, it should be done politely, and supported by evidence of that view (by linking scientific paper, or the like).

Many thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Marie 2

You also might try more fiber with your meals, it sometimes helps stop spiking, especially glucomannan fiber. Several companies make mixes with this fiber. You have to take it a certain time before you eat.

But PCRM which promotes being a vegan has some suggestions on vegan foods for prediabetes and type 2 diabetics, they also have a short video to watch.
    https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes
    https://p.widencdn.net/nipyqo/17012-Diet-and-Diabetes-fact-sheet-update-and-reorder
    It is not low carb, if you want low carb there are several new cookbook/sites out there that are vegan and low carb.

Low Carb Vegan site with recipes
    https://lowcarb-vegan.net/

One Green Planet Low Carb Vegan with food/meal suggestions
    https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/weekly-meal-plan-the-low-carb-vegan-menu/

At the beginning Metformin worked well for me too and then stopped. But because I was type 1.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Marie 2

One of my favorite quick meals that I eat for most my lunches is a bowl of mixed veggies, I use a whole small bag of frozen veggies of my choice, right now that's a mix of pea pods, broccoli, water chestnuts and carrots and I add cashews with either tofu chunks, tempeh, or seasoned seitan, squeeze some lemon and Braggs Aminos and it's simple, easy and filling!
    You can add vegan butter or vegan gravy, or vegan cheese to give it a totally different flavor.
    It's not high calorie or high carb and very healthy.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook