What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.9 this morning. I expected it to be lower as I had an unplanned, unexpected 16 hour fast yesterday. Life took an unexpected very busy turn. I will say that I was not hungry until I got up at 2 for the toilet but couldn't be bothered to eat at that time.
Better go and eat now as it may be the only time I get today. I really wish I could develop the gift of translocation ( being in 2 places at once)
Take care

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 and got off lightly. Low carb food yesterday as usual but as it was anniversary of meeting my hubby 33 years ago wine was involved, and peanuts, far too many!!!!

The love story. .....

I had broken up with an ex who I had been on and off with for over 3 years. A lovely friend wanted to set me up on a blind date to help the healing process. NO THANKS I NEVER WANT TO DATE ANOTHER MAN AGAIN! As you can see I politely declined! So my best friend went on the blind date. He was a handsome young man called Eric. No sparks for them but they got in well enough. Next time I went out with my friend on a girly night she spotted Eric and some friends sitting at a table in the pub. She waved over. They beckoned us. We sat with them, me next to Eric. We had so much in common we didnt come up for breath. Love at first sight actually. Told each other just that 3 weeks later and married within 7 months. So yes, peanuts and wine were most definitely in order!!!

Happy hump day folks.

Wow what a romantic story congratulations

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes daughter No2 told me (very bossy these girls) that I should do a course on mindfulness. It was a distance learning course which I would normally like, but I was helping Dad to care for my mother, and didn’t manage enough time to concentrate in n it. Perhaps I should try again.

Sounds like you have had an awful lot going on. I’d thoroughly recommend Headspace. Just 10mins a day. You can get it free and upgrade later if you want to do more courses, but the free bit is really useful and his voice is really relaxing. Some I’ve heard are just too irritating and I end up even more stressed!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 this morning. Off out to an American diner for breakfast later to celebrate a family member’s birthday. Steak and eggs for me with coffee and cream! What a great way to start the day. I might once have been envious of the pancake stacks but they don’t call to me any more happily.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Morning all. 7.8 this morning at 6.20am. Easter lunch out today at 1pm with our volunteer group so will have to be careful what I eat. Wide awake this morning at 5.45am. Unusually early for me but I reduced my dose of amitriptyline last night which I take for my back pain but makes me drowsy the next morning. I also felt obliged last night to use the special fluoride toothpaste provided by my dentist as I have an appointment on Tuesday.:angelic: Every time I use it I have a sore mouth the next morning.:arghh: Misty so far this morning but forecast is good for the Easter weekend. Happy Easter everyone.:joyful:

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all a 3.6 on the old meter of wonder, only one small hypo to report last night (I may just stop reporting on them as they are happening so frequently I've given up adjusting my pump) but hay ho off we goo into the wild blue yonder, a world so magical and wondrous, that everyone wants to frolic in. And its also a long weekend off! filled with jaunts to the pub long days lounging on the couch, eating vast amounts of Easter eggs! But alas not in my residence, "You're off lets decorate" oh the joys! I may just stay at work.

Take care everyone.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.6 at 7 am

Restless legs last night in bed. I was kicking the bedcovers everywhere. Had to keep getting up to search for them.

I was overtired due to a meeting between a combine harvester and a motorcyclist on the road home. It had happened minutes before, and the police were there, but waiting on paramedics. I looked online later and no serious injuries, but it meant over another hour travelling/waiting (my journey is normally 18 minutes) due to gridlocked traffic with nowhere to go.

I was exhausted and over tired when I got in early evening.

Hence the restless legs in bed. And consequently a poor night's sleep.

Hope you all have a great day.
Take care x

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...a full on afternoon in the garden yesterday... finally managed to clear all the hedge clippings ...all bagged & waiting to go to the local tip yay a visit to the dump this morning!...another fridge raid as I locked up & crawled up to bed (oh dear)...the plan for this evening is to lock up early...ignore the kitchen...dash straight up to bed...woke to a 6.2

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 5.9 this morning. Getting a big food shop done today for weekend and meals planned. Weather heating up nicely though it does mean watering my reseeded front lawn. @SaskiaKC great news about your results, you have been very patient. Yay!
Have a good Maundy Thursday everyone. Stay well, safe and hypo free.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. Arrived back in the UK at 0630 yesterday, no idea what my reading was as far too busy staying awake - mental arguments with the chimp, who kept suggesting that having a kip was the only thing that mattered and all goods and chattels should be sacrificed for that single aim.
Anyhow, Having been picked up by our wonderful friends from Heathrow and whisked back to their house for a lash up breakfast, Mrs Miggins got her head down for a couple of hours and we drove up to Birmingham to stay overnight with family.

After a day off and now not living in the past, the wheel of wonderment and combobulation gave a resounding 5.7 and demanded tea.

Have a great day if you can, just spotted three child car seats in the hallway - are we traveling home with hangers on?

Update:
Just been informed by my GP that the NHS app is now available - not fully read it but here is the link to it:

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/nhs-app#features-of-the-nhs-app

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 - very happy

Diabetic meeting yesterday (3rd Wednesday of every month)

Still arrived to see (queue Jaws music....) plates of biscuits on the table. The speaker who was due to give a talk didnt turn up so I was asked if I would. I gave a quick 10 minutes. And then we all chatted after. I realise these days steering diabetics to a healthier way of eating is not as cut and dried as I thought it would be when I started out trying to spread the word. These people have been diabetic for many many years. They have all sorts of health conditions they are battling. Obesity, neuropathy, eye sight problems, pancreas issues, fatty liver, cancer, thyroid, heart etc etc. All struggling to control BS. Rarely test. Lady next to me cant get her BS controlled. Gone up to 113 units of insulin a day. Still struggling to control. But they all more or less eat anything they want. A friend who was diagnosed at the same time as me just wants to take the meds and eat what he wants. I've explained why that way of eating wont help his bs. But he continues. He has just had DN appointment and was told off! Hba1c going up. He has a Chinese on a Saturday and Sunday! Eats bread, pasta, rice, potatoes....and loves red wine. He sees my social media posts I share to raise awareness. People know what can happen but they dont think it will happen to them. And they really dont understand the benefits of low carb in controlling bs. They aren't made aware by their HCPs. Next month will be an interesting one. Speaker from diabetes.org.uk coming!!!

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.
Confession time o lordy lordy I forgot to remind us all about yesterday being national bin day, I crave forgiveness ( not really ).

Well a frisky 5.8 greeted me this morning, reminds me of my childhood, the frisky bit, never mind.

Well folks my day is planned, walking with the old folks, then a funeral. It's going to be difficult not saying inappropriate things, the lady whose funeral it is had a wonderful sense of humour. Mrs J will be watching and listening.
Have a good day folks must go is koffy is calling " drink me,drink me " it's like something from an Alice in Wonderland novel.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These people have been diabetic for many many years. They have all sorts of health conditions they are battling. Obesity, neuropathy, eye sight problems, pancreas issues, fatty liver, cancer, thyroid, heart etc etc. All struggling to control BS. Rarely test. Lady next to me cant get her BS controlled. Gone up to 113 units of insulin a day. Still struggling to control. But they all more or less eat anything they want. A friend who was diagnosed at the same time as me just wants to take the meds and eat what he wants. I've explained why that way of eating wont help his bs. But he continues. He has just had DN appointment and was told off! Hba1c going up.

I attended the DESMOND course with a friend who would fit into the group who had been badly advised, she was on ever increasing amounts of insulin, has horrific complications, when her sugars kept rising her surgery brought in a 'trouble shooter' who did nothing except increase her insulin...when we arrived at the course to our dismay the 'trouble shooter' was one of the facilitators...after a morning with her & her colleague I understood why my friend was so misguided in her approach to her diabetes management...the first question we were asked was 'what type of diabetes do you have'...we all tentatively said 'um type 2' we were rewarded with a 'good give yourself a pat on the back' since it was a course specifically designed for T2's it wasn't a difficult question to answer...from then on it got worse...finally after we asked a couple of questions like ' do you recommend a low carb good fat diet' the facilitators felt we were too advanced for the course.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez that is a fascinating and troubling account of yesterday’s clinic. It just shows how deep rooted the eating of staples (starches) is and how difficult it will be to change that mindset. In some ways they are like truculant teens railing against advice. Of course it is hard for people who have other serious health challenges though the irony is dropping carbs is likely to be beneficial for other conditions too (cancer, PCOS, arthritis). Since my body adapted to LC I havent had a single incidence of gout despite eating more meat and still enjoying G&T. Feel free to quote me if it helps. You are doing an amazing job spreading the word and if one or two go home and think about trying to get control it is worth it. My late mum had coeliac disease and when she was dx T2 she threw a tantrum about giving up rice and GF bread and potatoes (Irish!) and said “No I’ve given up enough already”. My OH has a golf buddy recently dxd and my OH has been dropping hi ts about how I managed remission but the only change he has made is swapping beer for wine. Another friend of a friend is a biochemist and doesnt want to entertain LC and is stilling having dessert daily. It is like scaling the Eiger isnt it?