What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Heating up nicely here ready for a slightly bonkers weekend. Julie's birthday tomorrow and we are commanded to appear at No 1 son's to be fed. On Sunday I am ordered to take Easter eggs to Southampton for 2 granddaughters and pay for a hotel into the bargain. May try either or both of Nandos and Five Guys as both in West Quay just so I am "in the loop" with the cool kids. Bg was 5.1 (no VAR needed) - not high or dangerous but still not on a par with other times of eating and exercising the way I have recently.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I attended the DESMOND course with a friend who would fit into the group who had been badly advised, she was on ever increasing amounts of insulin, has horrific complications, when her sugars kept rising her surgery brought in a 'trouble shooter' who did nothing except increase her insulin...when we arrived at the course to our dismay the 'trouble shooter' was one of the facilitators...after a morning with her & her colleague I understood why my friend was so misguided in her approach to her diabetes management...the first question we were asked was 'what type of diabetes do you have'...we all tentatively said 'um type 2' we were rewarded with a 'good give yourself a pat on the back' since it was a course specifically designed for T2's it wasn't a difficult question to answer...from then on it got worse...finally after we asked a couple of questions like ' do recommend a low carb good fat diet' the facilitators felt we were too advanced for the course.
It shouldn't be funny of course but it sadly is

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It shouldn't be funny of course but it sadly is
Oh, oh here goes. The DESMOND course sounds abysmal and HCPs should offer the best advice they can. For some/most posters on here LC has offered a better route than that offered by the eat well plate and conventional follow up path. We are largely a self selecting group who believe in LC and have had some success in using it for control. We, or certainly I, don't know how many have tried LC properly/strictly and found it doesn't work - there must be some. I am not claiming the status quo advice and support is right or that LC should not be advised as first line approach to all newly diagnosed T2. I am highly sceptical of its effectiveness for everyone, certainly for me personally it is not great IMHO, and we just don't know enough about the long term effectiveness and potential side effects. I can see why HCPs might be hesitant in offering full- throated approval. Now flame away.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I attended the DESMOND course with a friend who would fit into the group who had been badly advised, she was on ever increasing amounts of insulin, has horrific complications, when her sugars kept rising her surgery brought in a 'trouble shooter' who did nothing except increase her insulin...when we arrived at the course to our dismay the 'trouble shooter' was one of the facilitators...after a morning with her & her colleague I understood why my friend was so misguided in her approach to her diabetes management...the first question we were asked was 'what type of diabetes do you have'...we all tentatively said 'um type 2' we were rewarded with a 'good give yourself a pat on the back' since it was a course specifically designed for T2's it wasn't a difficult question to answer...from then on it got worse...finally after we asked a couple of questions like ' do recommend a low carb good fat diet' the facilitators felt we were too advanced for the course.

Horrific how such poor advise, in the face of...and despite the evidence to the contrary, of how unhealthy it is.. is still not just permitted but propogated, by those who are meant to help......heartbreaking.

I truly don't mean all are bad, but sufficient to make the tales we hear on here, way too common .

So grateful to have got on here and dodged the SUGAR bullets sprayed so liberally across so many seeking good advice .

@Debandez ..you have my admiration for doing so much, especially when as @PenguinMum rightly says, it's like scaling the Eiger.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 - very happy

Diabetic meeting yesterday (3rd Wednesday of every month)

Still arrived to see (queue Jaws music....) plates of biscuits on the table. The speaker who was due to give a talk didnt turn up so I was asked if I would. I gave a quick 10 minutes. And then we all chatted after. I realise these days steering diabetics to a healthier way of eating is not as cut and dried as I thought it would be when I started out trying to spread the word. These people have been diabetic for many many years. They have all sorts of health conditions they are battling. Obesity, neuropathy, eye sight problems, pancreas issues, fatty liver, cancer, thyroid, heart etc etc. All struggling to control BS. Rarely test. Lady next to me cant get her BS controlled. Gone up to 113 units of insulin a day. Still struggling to control. But they all more or less eat anything they want. A friend who was diagnosed at the same time as me just wants to take the meds and eat what he wants. I've explained why that way of eating wont help his bs. But he continues. He has just had DN appointment and was told off! Hba1c going up. He has a Chinese on a Saturday and Sunday! Eats bread, pasta, rice, potatoes....and loves red wine. He sees my social media posts I share to raise awareness. People know what can happen but they dont think it will happen to them. And they really dont understand the benefits of low carb in controlling bs. They aren't made aware by their HCPs. Next month will be an interesting one. Speaker from diabetes.org.uk coming!!!
Was so sad to read your post. You would have thought that everyone would have jumped at the chance to improve their health.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up at 3.45am today - which is very unusual for me. Did a test and it was 4.6. At 6.30am when I woke up again it was 5.8. I suppose it is the Dawn Phenomenon - but good to know it stays in the 4s overnight. Yesterday I had another 4.2 two hours after my lunch which was lower than the pre-meal 4.8.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone. Arrived back in the UK at 0630 yesterday, no idea what my reading was as far too busy staying awake - mental arguments with the chimp, who kept suggesting that having a kip was the only thing that mattered and all goods and chattels should be sacrificed for that single aim.
Anyhow, Having been picked up by our wonderful friends from Heathrow and whisked back to their house for a lash up breakfast, Mrs Miggins got her head down for a couple of hours and we drove up to Birmingham to stay overnight with family and a

After a day off and now not living in the past, the wheel of wonderment and combobulation gave a resounding 5.7 and demanded tea.

Have a great day if you can, just spotted three child car seats in the hallway - are we traveling home with hangers on?

Update:
Just been informed by my GP that the NHS app is now available - not fully read it but here is the link to it:

https://digital.nhs.uk/services/nhs-app#features-of-the-nhs-app[/QUOTE
Morning all. 7.8 this morning at 6.20am. Easter lunch out today at 1pm with our volunteer group so will have to be careful what I eat. Wide awake this morning at 5.45am. Unusually early for me but I reduced my dose of amitriptyline last night which I take for my back pain but makes me drowsy the next morning. I also felt obliged last night to use the special fluoride toothpaste provided by my dentist as I have an appointment on Tuesday.:angelic: Every time I use it I have a sore mouth the next morning.:arghh: Misty so far this morning but forecast is good for the Easter weekend. Happy Easter everyone.:joyful:
Hi there. Your toothpaste, check ingredients. I have an allergy to Chlorhexidine which is a common oral antiseptic.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I truly don't mean all are bad, but sufficient to make the tales we hear on here, way too common .
jjaark I've spoken to many who have attended the course...none of them came away feeling they had been well advised or had a clue how best to manage their diabetes...one attendee asked which would be the best meter for him to buy...in the most patronising terms one of the duo conducting the course said 'look dear if you needed a meter your GP would have given you one' so that's the kind of attitude we encounter...another was told it might be better to go in insulin then you could increase your carbs...it was scandalous.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, oh here goes. The DESMOND course sounds abysmal and HCPs should offer the best advice they can. For some/most posters on here LC has offered a better route than that offered by the eat well plate and conventional follow up path. We are largely a self selecting group who believe in LC and have had some success in using it for control. We, or certainly I, don't know how many have tried LC properly/strictly and found it doesn't work - there must be some. I am not claiming the status quo advice and support is right or that LC should not be advised as first line approach to all newly diagnosed T2. I am highly sceptical of its effectiveness for everyone, certainly for me personally it is not great IMHO, and we just don't know enough about the long term effectiveness and potential side effects. I can see why HCPs might be hesitant in offering full- throated approval. Now flame away.

No flaming intended @ianpspurs
It's a position you state clearly and has some merit.

Just that for those clearly struggling with the current advise shouldn't there be a plan B.

For me it's working or seems to be.
So I ..as I guess many others on here do, count myself lucky.

And the long term effects...?? Who can say.

But I do know the long term effects of taking the prescribed EATWELL advise.

We surely need right now, to be offering other choices, clearly explained to prevent others who may be helped, falling into the spiral of a progressive illness, that just maybe doesn't HAVE to happen. ?

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And the long term effects...?? Who can say.

But I do know the long term effects of taking the prescribed EATWELL advise.
It is working for me and many others...some prefer keto or other alternatives...whichever path we choose is very much an individual choice.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

charlie000

Couldn't resist testing this morning and last night before sleep.

Went to gym with a blood glucose of 5mmol at 6pm. Came home at 8pm, had a hot bath. Got in to bed at 11.30pm, BG was at 4.5mmol.

Had 500ml of water, went to bed.

Woke up at 9am, BG at 4.4mmol.

More Salmon on the menu at 12.30pm. Loads of Salmon flying around due to Easter.

No breakfast (fasting) well only liquids allowed. So I had a cup of tea and used Tesco double cream. Looking forward to my Salmon at 12.30pm

Also to add I am fasting until Monday for about 20-24 hours (including sleep) - i mean a daily fast up and until Monday

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At dawn the moon was setting. A full, round, red moon. I opened the window, to the sound of birdsong and traffic. Behind me, the KittenCat stopped meowing for breakfast, and watched the moon set with me. As always, she had food in her dish; just wanted breakfast.

She's having more chicken now. I'm having sausages and a McDonald's baked apple pie, because they were out of strawberry cream.

FBG 5.6 this Maundy Thursday morning.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, oh here goes. The DESMOND course sounds abysmal and HCPs should offer the best advice they can. For some/most posters on here LC has offered a better route than that offered by the eat well plate and conventional follow up path. We are largely a self selecting group who believe in LC and have had some success in using it for control. We, or certainly I, don't know how many have tried LC properly/strictly and found it doesn't work - there must be some. I am not claiming the status quo advice and support is right or that LC should not be advised as first line approach to all newly diagnosed T2. I am highly sceptical of its effectiveness for everyone, certainly for me personally it is not great IMHO, and we just don't know enough about the long term effectiveness and potential side effects. I can see why HCPs might be hesitant in offering full- throated approval.

Hear, hear!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Was so sad to read your post. You would have thought that everyone would have jumped at the chance to improve their health.

It's like the TV commercials I see all the time for antacids and diet pills.

"Eat what you want and STILL lose weight!" "Pop our antacid pill and eat all the spicy food you want!"
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with spicy food per se, but for a lot of people it does cause bad heartburn. It's just the idea that you can gorge on foods that harm your unique body, but just pop a pill and carry on.