Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am shaking my head right now.

Red meat is Ok , but lean meat is best.

Reduce or low carb.

Increase veg intake so it takes the place on your plate of carbs.

Wild rice is better than white rice.

Berries are OK, most fruits are better than crisp and snacks, but watch out for the big B's as they are good for hypo's but don't eat too many(they are my weakness !)

Fresh food is better than pre packed.

Eat good food , fresh , and walk.

Good luck.

With all due respect, I am shaking my head at your comment. All meat is good, fattier cuts are preferable when in context of a diet specifically based on lowering carbohydrates. Lower carb veg is better than those which are high in (esp)starchy carbs. All veg has carbs but wiser choices can be made as to which you can load up your plate with. In my opinion rice of any description should be excluded from a low carb diet with thepossible exception of a treat for someone who has recovered a measure of insulin sensitivity.

As to fats which you do not mention specifically I know, healthy fats have to be included to offset the fuel from carbs lost and these are natural fats from fruits such as coconut oil, olive oil and avocado, or animal fats such as butter, lard, cheese as well as the fats from foul.

Reactions: Flora123

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Peeps

I really ought to trust my instincts, you've really put my mind at rest. I don't know my cholesterol test results, but I'm certainly more prepared to ask the right questions. Thanks again
Many here have a low carb diet cutting out starchy carbs fruit and cereals and have all full fat stuff and a lot of meat and that works well for them and they enjoy it but it is not for everyone. Some do not like or can't tolerate full fat and red meat and prefer lower fat some are vegetarians and do not eat animal products but they make it work for them. A good way of getting fat is with olive oil and avocados with some nuts and olives and that works as well it is personal preference. Go with your instinct and do what you think will suit you best

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many here have a low carb diet cutting out starchy carbs fruit and cereals and have all full fat stuff and a lot of meat and that works well for them and they enjoy it but it is not for everyone. Some do not like or can't tolerate full fat and red meat and prefer lower fat some are vegetarians and do not eat animal products but they make it work for them. A good way of getting fat is with olive oil and avocados with some nuts and olives and that works as well it is personal preference. Go with your instinct and do what you think will suit you best
Hi. Some would say 'Fat doesn't make you fat' - it's the carbs that can cause weight gain.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I’m a type 1 diabetic diagnosed 27 yrs ago if I knew everything I know now I may have reversed it but too late for me as my Pancreas is dead but you are Type 2 and could reverse it so go on a low carb diet ASAP ... I wasn’t over weight as I had a virus attack my pancreas so totally different but I was told to eat carbs with insulin and hence I gained weight !! Type 2 if reversible if you stick to a low carb diet also look at juicing read my blog www.alternativediabetic.com...eating out have good portion protein and Cooked or steamed veg .. Give up Wheat eat rye or spelt .. give up all diet drinks especially Coca Cola ... low carb is way forward ... good fats ie avocado is good for you too ..@alternativediabetic
Last year I was put on insulin for the first time and as the dose was increased over 4 to 5 months my weight went up by 15+lbs. and my bg levels also increased for several days. When I asked my endocrinologist whether the insulin injection immediately caused my pancreas to motivate my liver to produce more glucose or whether the pancreas produced less insulin because of the higher insulin levels his response was, "none of these er no the first er no the second er the first."! I sounds like that part of your pancreas that pushes the liver is still working. As you say the only answer is a low carb diet. If I had known this 13 years ago I would have saved hundreds of dollars a year in drugs.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am shaking my head right now.

Red meat is Ok , but lean meat is best.

Reduce or low carb.

Increase veg intake so it takes the place on your plate of carbs.

Wild rice is better than white rice.

Berries are OK, most fruits are better than crisp and snacks, but watch out for the big B's as they are good for hypo's but don't eat too many(they are my weakness !)

Fresh food is better than pre packed.

Eat good food , fresh , and walk.

Good luck.
It is very simple for 99% of people with T2D. Get a blood glucose monitor and learn how to use it. Any other advice is for the 1% of T2D people who have additional health issues. End of story...

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just ask for the print outs. It is important to know all our test results - glucose, cholesterol, liver & kidney functions and full blood counts. Knowledge is power, and never trust what the medics say when they say "fine, "normal" whatever - you may be teetering on the edge of not being fine or normal.

By the way, what was your HbA1c and are you on any diabetes meds?
Hi Bluetit1802, I have no idea re HbA1c and no I'm not on any diabetes meds, it's all of a big learning curve, but I survived the weekend away, very very few carbs, even with friends offering crisps left right and centre !!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802, I have no idea re HbA1c and no I'm not on any diabetes meds, it's all of a big learning curve, but I survived the weekend away, very very few carbs, even with friends offering crisps left right and centre !!

Then you need to ask for a print out of the test results. This will tell you all you need to know, and believe me, you need to know what all your results are, not just blood glucose but also cholesterol, liver and kidney functions. All you have to do is ring up and ask the receptionist.

Well done for surviving the weekend and avoiding the crisps!

JohnH2019

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please also have a look at testing your nutrition levels. Something like NutraEval from Genova Diagnostics or something similar. I had a doctor talking statins and a pacemaker when the underlying issue was my pancreas giving out causing nutrient deficiencies. My cholesterol was high due to excess sugar/carbs in my diet, another thing the statins doctor never even asked about. Improving diet (great advice from posters above), testing for and fixing nutrient deficiencies made a tremendous difference and avoided the statins, insulin shots and a pacemaker. ( for now at least...:)). I do also have to take pancreatic enzymes with each meal to break down the nutrients as the exocrine side of my pancreas was also impacted.