Getting more and more confused

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I was diagnosed T2 2 months ago, and had a meeting with the nurse who said that I need to loose 2 stone, and she thinks I will have to go onto statins at next visit which is end of May. I bought my own reader Safe AQ Smart, and am trying to keep a diary of what I'm eating and my readings. The highest is 8.2 but is usually around 5.5 ish I am assuming my meter/reader is correct.

The trouble is the nurse said no red meat AT ALL, low fat milk, no cheese, no carbs (guessing that bit is right) Only spirits with diet mixer. Sweet potato is allowed and only 6 grapes max in a day, one small banana . I am getting bored with Chicken and Fish. My past downfall was wine and Crisps, I've cut out the Crisps. My weight is gradually dropping (slowly)

I'm guessing she won't approve of Keto, but is this as I am on blood pressure tablets and my Cholesterol is higher than they would like it or just out of touch ? I'm struggling to eat out, which we do quite often with our lifestyle too. Chicken and Salad seems to be the only option, which is ok if they have it on the menu. Sorry for the rant, but there seems to be so much conflicting advice. Many thanks.

enb54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kikky...
The moderators will be likely touching base with you soon, the best short term advice is to use your blood glucose meter to measure just about everything that you ingest, to see what effect specific foods have on YOU personally. You ideally will be consuming things that have a minimal overall effect on your average blood glucose measurements. I am sure others will chime in with more comments...

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Red meat is fine. Why wouldn't it be?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Kikky tagging in @daisy1 for general information. Welcome. Please side step the information provided, it is nonsense. I would say do almost the opposite of what the nurse says. Red meat is fine (all of them), full fat milk is better than low fat milk, grapes are not advisable, I would replace with raspberries. Bananas should be avoided at all cost. If you like vegetables then broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus and courgettes are good.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i would avoid the grapes and bananas - in fact all fruit except a few berries - tagging @daisy1 who has a great post for newbies, lots of us with T2 on the forum control our diabetes with low carb high fat lifestyle. Have a read round the forum and take your time to digest it :) - your numbers aren't too bad, you may just need to tweak your diet a bit.

Eating out - grab yourself a nice juicy steak with above ground veggies and some butter - can't understand the no red meat at all advice

Reactions: JohnH2019

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I was diagnosed T2 2 months ago, and had a meeting with the nurse who said that I need to loose 2 stone, and she thinks I will have to go onto statins at next visit which is end of May. I bought my own reader Safe AQ Smart, and am trying to keep a diary of what I'm eating and my readings. The highest is 8.2 but is usually around 5.5 ish I am assuming my meter/reader is correct.

The trouble is the nurse said no red meat AT ALL, low fat milk, no cheese, no carbs (guessing that bit is right) Only spirits with diet mixer. Sweet potato is allowed and only 6 grapes max in a day, one small banana . I am getting bored with Chicken and Fish. My past downfall was wine and Crisps, I've cut out the Crisps. My weight is gradually dropping (slowly)

I'm guessing she won't approve of Keto, but is this as I am on blood pressure tablets and my Cholesterol is higher than they would like it or just out of touch ? I'm struggling to eat out, which we do quite often with our lifestyle too. Chicken and Salad seems to be the only option, which is ok if they have it on the menu. Sorry for the rant, but there seems to be so much conflicting advice. Many thanks.

Is the nurse trying to kill you?
Nothing wrong with red meat if you like it.. full fat everything, as few carbs as possible (none at all is quite tough). No below ground veg (including sweet potato) but lotds of the green stuff if you like it. Eggs and bacon, butter and cream in coffee.
Dry wine in moderation if you must.
Got my weight down by 8 stone T2 in remission and meant I learned all about cholesterol and how it is absolutely essential for life and especially brain function.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear. No wonder you are confused.

I agree with the above comments - avoid bananas and grapes at all cost. Stick to berries, especially strawberries and raspberries, and eat them with double cream or full fat plain unsweetened yogurts (Greek is best).

There is a lot of misinformation being bandied about at the moment in the media about red meat and saturated fats. Most of it comes from the vegan activists. Have a good read round this forum and you will find threads all about it and you can make your own mind up about it. As far as I am concerned, I eat red meat, especially steaks and roast joints, I eat full fat everything - cream, cheese, yogurt, butter, and so on. My cholesterol is perfect.

The main culprits to avoid are breakfast cereals, potatoes (all types), rice, bread and pasta. Also vegetable oils - these are inflammatory and cause no end of problems.

As for statins - do you know your full cholesterol results? (HDL/LDL and triglycerides) Without that information you cannot decide on whether or not to accept statins. You can ask your surgery receptionist to print off a copy of your test results. You are entitled to these. They will include all the things they tested you for. If you live in England your surgery should have put test results on-line, so you can ask about this too.

Reactions: JohnH2019

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I agree with others, avoid bananas and grapes, and if you go low carb then your blood fats should go down even with eating more fats. I had high triglycerides readings before going low carb, but I decided to go without metformin and statins, and now I am in remission and my blood measures are all within the normal range even though I have cheese, cream and even bacon sometimes.

Kikky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Peeps

I really ought to trust my instincts, you've really put my mind at rest. I don't know my cholesterol test results, but I'm certainly more prepared to ask the right questions. Thanks again

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Peeps

I really ought to trust my instincts, you've really put my mind at rest. I don't know my cholesterol test results, but I'm certainly more prepared to ask the right questions. Thanks again

Just ask for the print outs. It is important to know all our test results - glucose, cholesterol, liver & kidney functions and full blood counts. Knowledge is power, and never trust what the medics say when they say "fine, "normal" whatever - you may be teetering on the edge of not being fine or normal.

By the way, what was your HbA1c and are you on any diabetes meds?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kikky and welcome to the forum. Most of your questions have been covered but I just thought I’d chime in with the BP question. When I was diagnosed with type 2 I was on two BP meds and I was morbidly obese. I took up a low carb life style, red meat, eggs, bacon, cream, butter the lot but counted carbs. I dropped to under 100g/day for the first six weeks, then dropped to 50 - 70g, I have since naturally dropped to 30 - 50g which keeps my bloods at non diabetic levels. During the nearly two years since my diagnosis I have lost 6 1/2 stone and reduced my BP meds by half. I have a BP monitor at home so just kept an eye on it and spoke to my GP when it had dropped to the point when I was getting dizzy if I got up quickly and he reduced my meds.
When assessing your cholesterol results when you get them first it’s important to consider whether you fasted as if not the triglycerides will be artificially elevated. My cholesterol level is currently 6.6 which on the face of it is high and I’ve been offered Statins on several occasions. I have declined because my ratios (that is Trigyceride/HDL ratio and Total cholesterol/HDL ratio) are fine. @bulkbiker and @Bluetit1802 taught me all I know about cholesterol.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your nurse hasn't a clue about diet. All meat is fine and so is fat. Avoid bananas and grapes. Cheese is fine. Wine is OK in sensible quantities but not beer/cider due to the carbs.

Stephen Lewis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrites, liars, donald trump (no capitals for emphasis)
I agree with all the above. An ever worsening T2 (actually latest research indicates there are many types) for many years until I started low carb last summer. Keep monitoring your glucose levels before and after meals (I do 1 hour and 2 hours after on my constant glucose monitor, CGM). Use the results to find out what foods and quantities work or not for you, we all have different responses to carbs. I would also suggest keeping away from peas, beans and other legumes as many are high carb/sugar. At 5+ your bg level looks good but you also need to keep the normal after-meal spikes as low as possible. I have stopped insulin and lost 25 lbs in just over 6 months with low carb and gym about 5 times a week. The long term measure of improvement or worsening of our condition is the A1c. Mine dropped from 9.7% in February 2018 to 6.9 in February 2019. I also spoke to someone today after a prayer meeting. I learned that she has been T1 for 65 years, went on the low carb diet and her A1cs are now in the low 5s. I definitely recommended the Low Carb Program because of the information it gives and the support it provides.

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

You have been given some great advice already. I will
Hi All

Hi and welcome. Not much to add to advice given only to say I eat out a lot and manage great blood glucose control. It is very do-able. Here is a link to the amazing diet doctor website. You will find lots of help on here, also libbys ditch the carbs:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/dining-out

M

Member496333

Red meat is fine. Why wouldn't it be?

Have you not heard the latest? Ancient foods that killed off all our ancestors have now decided to kill us as well! Turns out real food is dangerous.It’s all the rage now. That pesky food! Solution is that everything must come in a box, with a list of ingredients you get bored reading. Only then can you be certain that it’s safe for consumption...More amusing actually is the recommendation of meat being banned but one-a-day fructose/carb grenades are ok? :shifty:

Otherwise it’s actually quite a confusing list with unclear or contradictory aspirations.

Reactions: Flora123

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Kikky
Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 300,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

kpol2016

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am shaking my head right now.

Red meat is Ok , but lean meat is best.

Reduce or low carb.

Increase veg intake so it takes the place on your plate of carbs.

Wild rice is better than white rice.

Berries are OK, most fruits are better than crisp and snacks, but watch out for the big B's as they are good for hypo's but don't eat too many(they are my weakness !)

Fresh food is better than pre packed.

Eat good food , fresh , and walk.

Good luck.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am shaking my head right now.

Red meat is Ok , but lean meat is best.

Reduce or low carb.

Increase veg intake so it takes the place on your plate of carbs.

Wild rice is better than white rice.

Berries are OK, most fruits are better than crisp and snacks, but watch out for the big B's as they are good for hypo's but don't eat too many(they are my weakness !)

Fresh food is better than pre packed.

Eat good food , fresh , and walk.

Good luck.

Don’t confuse even more! There’s nothing wrong with meant that isn’t lean, it’s actually preferable to lean.

Alternative Diabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes...want to find a cure !
Hi All

I’m a type 1 diabetic diagnosed 27 yrs ago if I knew everything I know now I may have reversed it but too late for me as my Pancreas is dead but you are Type 2 and could reverse it so go on a low carb diet ASAP ... I wasn’t over weight as I had a virus attack my pancreas so totally different but I was told to eat carbs with insulin and hence I gained weight !! Type 2 if reversible if you stick to a low carb diet also look at juicing read my blog www.alternativediabetic.com...eating out have good portion protein and Cooked or steamed veg .. Give up Wheat eat rye or spelt .. give up all diet drinks especially Coca Cola ... low carb is way forward ... good fats ie avocado is good for you too ..@alternativediabetic