1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting more and more confused

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Kikky, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

With all due respect, I am shaking my head at your comment. All meat is good, fattier cuts are preferable when in context of a diet specifically based on lowering carbohydrates. Lower carb veg is better than those which are high in (esp)starchy carbs. All veg has carbs but wiser choices can be made as to which you can load up your plate with. In my opinion rice of any description should be excluded from a low carb diet with thepossible exception of a treat for someone who has recovered a measure of insulin sensitivity.

As to fats which you do not mention specifically I know, healthy fats have to be included to offset the fuel from carbs lost and these are natural fats from fruits such as coconut oil, olive oil and avocado, or animal fats such as butter, lard, cheese as well as the fats from foul.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Many here have a low carb diet cutting out starchy carbs fruit and cereals and have all full fat stuff and a lot of meat and that works well for them and they enjoy it but it is not for everyone. Some do not like or can't tolerate full fat and red meat and prefer lower fat some are vegetarians and do not eat animal products but they make it work for them. A good way of getting fat is with olive oil and avocados with some nuts and olives and that works as well it is personal preference. Go with your instinct and do what you think will suit you best

3. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Some would say 'Fat doesn't make you fat' - it's the carbs that can cause weight gain.

4. Stephen Lewis

Stephen Lewis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Last year I was put on insulin for the first time and as the dose was increased over 4 to 5 months my weight went up by 15+lbs. and my bg levels also increased for several days. When I asked my endocrinologist whether the insulin injection immediately caused my pancreas to motivate my liver to produce more glucose or whether the pancreas produced less insulin because of the higher insulin levels his response was, "none of these er no the first er no the second er the first."! I sounds like that part of your pancreas that pushes the liver is still working. As you say the only answer is a low carb diet. If I had known this 13 years ago I would have saved hundreds of dollars a year in drugs.

• Hug Hug x 2
  5. enb54

enb54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is very simple for 99% of people with T2D. Get a blood glucose monitor and learn how to use it. Any other advice is for the 1% of T2D people who have additional health issues. End of story...

6. Kikky

Kikky Type 2 · Member

Hi Bluetit1802, I have no idea re HbA1c and no I'm not on any diabetes meds, it's all of a big learning curve, but I survived the weekend away, very very few carbs, even with friends offering crisps left right and centre !!

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Then you need to ask for a print out of the test results. This will tell you all you need to know, and believe me, you need to know what all your results are, not just blood glucose but also cholesterol, liver and kidney functions. All you have to do is ring up and ask the receptionist.

Well done for surviving the weekend and avoiding the crisps!

8. JohnH2019

JohnH2019 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Please also have a look at testing your nutrition levels. Something like NutraEval from Genova Diagnostics or something similar. I had a doctor talking statins and a pacemaker when the underlying issue was my pancreas giving out causing nutrient deficiencies. My cholesterol was high due to excess sugar/carbs in my diet, another thing the statins doctor never even asked about. Improving diet (great advice from posters above), testing for and fixing nutrient deficiencies made a tremendous difference and avoided the statins, insulin shots and a pacemaker. ( for now at least...:)). I do also have to take pancreatic enzymes with each meal to break down the nutrients as the exocrine side of my pancreas was also impacted.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook