Cutting Meds in Half?

Mystrose

Three years ago, I got serious about taking care of myself. Since then, I've lost a total of 147 pounds and was taken off insulin. Yesterday, I had my 3 month checkup with a new doctor I've only seen two times. My A1C was 5.3. It's been under control for awhile now, but this has been my lowest A1C. My doctor wants to lower my Metformin from 1000mg 2x a day in half. At first, I was like holy **** that's awesome!

This morning, I was sitting here really thinking about it. If I go to a lower dose and eat the same way, will my A1C become higher? Right now, I'm really under control and if I cut my meds in half will that effect me in a negative way? Would I need to adjust my diet even more to compensate for less meds? I hardly eat as it is now lol. Don't I want to stay on the same dose to keep it that low?

Does anyone have experience with this? After you cut back on meds how did it work for you? Did you have to do anything different or just go on the way you were? I'm really unsure and would like some advice. I wish I had thought about this while I was in the doctor's office.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it. :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I take 3 x Metformin per day and as my HbA1c last July was 34 (5.3%) I dropped my Metformin to 2 per day. I kept my diet the same and my next HbA1c had only gone up to 35 (5.4%) so not a noteable difference. I went back up to 3 per day only because my weight loss stalled. I just had a new HbA1c done this week and it’s back down to 34. My eventual aim when I’m at my ideal weight is to reduce it again as the difference in HbA1c is not enough to worry about for me.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mystrose
Firstly, I have to say, I'm not on insulin but am on Glipizide, and Metformin.

I am of the understanding that HCPs get very concerned when someone on insulin, or insulin-provoking medication, are running too low at any point, let alone most of the time because of the possibility of hypos. Like many others here, I'm continually trying to get my numbers down (sometimes more successfully than at other times) and the GP/Nurses want to either reduce medication or for me to eat more (carbs). I believe they don't credit some patients with the fact that they are carefully monitoring their (own) glucose levels, nor that the patients have any degree of intelligence or knowledge regarding good control etc

I appreciate this sounds harsh but I can only go on personal experience ;)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mystrose can you just clarify that you are only on Metformin now. I read it that you had stopped all insulin. @Energize seems to be under the impression you take insulin. There is a glitch on the forum that sometimes shows some people as Type 2 on insulin under their avatar when that isn’t the case.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Three years ago, I got serious about taking care of myself. Since then, I've lost a total of 147 pounds and was taken off insulin. Yesterday, I had my 3 month checkup with a new doctor I've only seen two times. My A1C was 5.3. It's been under control for awhile now, but this has been my lowest A1C. My doctor wants to lower my Metformin from 1000mg 2x a day in half. At first, I was like holy **** that's awesome!

This morning, I was sitting here really thinking about it. If I go to a lower dose and eat the same way, will my A1C become higher? Right now, I'm really under control and if I cut my meds in half will that effect me in a negative way? Would I need to adjust my diet even more to compensate for less meds? I hardly eat as it is now lol. Don't I want to stay on the same dose to keep it that low?

Does anyone have experience with this? After you cut back on meds how did it work for you? Did you have to do anything different or just go on the way you were? I'm really unsure and would like some advice. I wish I had thought about this while I was in the doctor's office.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really appreciate it. :)
First of all wanted to say well done you it’s amazing that you are only on Metformin after needing to take insulin so serious progression.
Re your thoughts about suggestion to reduce Metformin I see where you are coming from but it may be that reducing your Metformin has a negligible effect on your bgs and hbaca1. Diet and the way you eat has the most powerful effect on your numbers so - unless you find that Metformin helps you with your appetite ( which some people find) why not follow drs advice and reduce and then review at next tests? I was on Metformin for first two years before started on lCHF and then keto. I found that the more keto I went and the lower my bgs went the more my guts reacted to the Metformin so had to stop completely. My last hbaca1 was 29 with no Metformin so for me it’s eating keto. You need to look at yourself, how the drug works for you - is it helpful or does it cause side effects- and make best decision for you.

Reactions: Rachox

Mystrose

@Mystrose can you just clarify that you are only on Metformin now. I read it that you had stopped all insulin. @Energize seems to be under the impression you take insulin. There is a glitch on the forum that sometimes shows some people as Type 2 on insulin under their avatar when that isn’t the case.
No, I am not on insulin anymore.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped taking Metformin and a statin after a few weeks - dreadful dreadful weeks - made all the worse in retrospect by my not needing to take anything to get low test results.
Your Hba1c might change, but as long as it is normal, why worry?

D

Deleted member 308541

Does anyone have experience with this? After you cut back on meds how did it work for you? Did you have to do anything different or just go on the way you were?
I was on Metformin twice a day, 1 x 500 mg in the morning and the same in the evening. I have stopped on the morning tablet on my GP's advice.

I have not changed anything different and I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary either. I am looking forwards to my next hba1c in June, so I stop taking the other tablet in the evening.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @Rachox
Unless the post has been edited since I read it, I possibly miss-read the original post and certainly was under the impression the OP was on insulin. Thanks for the correction ;)